IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I really hope this console is a success, but I'm afraid the most entertaining thing it will produce will be epic failure and possible bankruptcy of a company.

And that's a problem: I never had an Atari machine, but thanks to this project I have learned about the huge legacy of Atari. It's a shame they have ended up like this.

Since we don't expect much news about the system in the following... months? Maybe we can remember how great Atari was in the past. What do you think are the top 10 Atari games? Sorry for the offtopic, just trying to approach Atari from a positive point of view.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

I really hope this console is a success, but I'm afraid the most entertaining thing it will produce will be epic failure and possible bankruptcy of a company.

And that's a problem: I never had an Atari machine, but thanks to this project I have learned about the huge legacy of Atari. It's a shame they have ended up like this.

Since we don't expect much news about the system in the following... months? Maybe we can remember how great Atari was in the past. What do you think are the top 10 Atari games? Sorry for the offtopic, just trying to approach Atari from a positive point of view.

It won't be. It's not even a console. It's a glorified mini PC.

I recommend you go buy a 2600 or a Flashback (Flashback 9 lets you use SD cards to load more games onto it) or even a Retron 77. Play some real Atari games, see what it's actually about, and ignore this nonsensical nonsense.

The correct answer for top ten Atari games is:

1. Adventure
  2. Adventure
  3. Adventure
  4. Adventure
  5. Adventure
  6. Adventure
  7. Adventure
  8. Adventure
  9. Adventure
  10. Adventure

Now, will someone please make a mod of Adventure with tacos?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Agillig said:

It's the same level of fanboyism that rears its head every few years to talk about Dreamcast 2.  Sega isn't even a competent third party company, how could they support their own console? 

Speaking of which, Dreamcast sold 9 million consoles worldwide and still tanked.   Not sure what kind of exclusives are coming to a system with a user base of 11,000.  Supporters will say that number will go up once the system comes out.   Even if that number triples to 33,000 that's still well under Ouya.  

I disagree with the second sentence, as Sega is still doing quite well as a 3rd party despite their having no idea what to do with Sonic until recently, but that's a point people need to realize: there's a reason these companies become third-parties.

Hardware R&D, support, advertising, licensing deals and maintainence is A LOT of money in hopes of becoming a financial success. We're talking eight digits minimum of spending before making a profit. Consoles almost always start as a loss for a company, even if they don't end up as such by the end of said console's lifetime, relying on software sales for making money.

Atari, Inc was forced out of this back in early nineties because of similar bad management and financial decisions to what current Atari is performing now. They literally couldn't afford to keep up with Nintendo, Sony or even Sega (which was in deep with the Saturn).

The OUYA started with a far larger install-base out of the crowdfunding gate than the VCS, and it lost all steam within months. Atari wants to get back into modern consoles but can't compete in numbers with the poster child of failed Kickstarter successes. If the OUYA lost nearly all relevance before year one of release, what chance does Atari SA have? And this is all assuming that the hardware even makes it to backers, nevermind retail availability.

• Like 6

I thought that one of the reasons they wanted to do the CPU upgrade was because of native 4K and DRM support, soooo what is the problem getting the Streaming apps working? much suck in the programming department? or is the problem that streaming services dont want to be associated with a dumster fire?
Please clarify.
Anyone know if they decided to keep the "floating design" piece of plastic on the bottom or did the bean counters tell them it would cost $0.03
We all know why they did not make the original ribbed design, because IT NEEDS MORE MOLDS AND LEFTOEVER PLASTIC PER UNIT THAT COSTS $$$ (also added assembly costs) It had nothing to do with difficulty, this displays the complete clueless ineptitude at the helm of this pet project.
I am sooo Satisfied that both these running jokes. The Coocoo Chameleon and the AtacoBox are both about an Atari Mold. It all started with an Atari mold.

So no Atari VCS boxes under the Christmas Trees this year, gonna be lots of sad big kids. /|\ :(
*nbot to mention Atari is going to miss the biggest shopping time of the year, AND on top of that will be debuting the system right when the next gen consoles go to battle AND on top of that people are more likely to stay at home and enjoy onling gaming rather than venture out into the freezing weather during the winter, great strategy of trying to cath people just when spring rolls around duhhhf!

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, DurradonXylles said:

I disagree with the second sentence, as Sega is still doing quite well as a 3rd party despite their having no idea what to do with Sonic until recently, but that's a point people need to realize: there's a reason these companies become third-parties.

Hardware R&D, support, advertising, licensing deals and maintainence is A LOT of money in hopes of becoming a financial success. We're talking eight digits minimum of spending before making a profit. Consoles almost always start as a loss for a company, even if they don't end up as such by the end of said console's lifetime, relying on software sales for making money.

Atari, Inc was forced out of this back in early nineties because of similar bad management and financial decisions to what current Atari is performing now. They literally couldn't afford to keep up with Nintendo, Sony or even Sega (which was in deep with the Saturn).

The OUYA started with a far larger install-base out of the crowdfunding gate than the VCS, and it lost all steam within months. Atari wants to get back into modern consoles but can't compete in numbers with the poster child of failed Kickstarter successes. If the OUYA lost nearly all relevance before year one of release, what chance does Atari SA have? And this is all assuming that the hardware even makes it to backers, nevermind retail availability.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the current state of Sega.  The last Sega game I enjoyed was Sonic Mania, and that wasn't even developed by Sega.  Before that, it was Panzer Dragoon Orta or Virtua Fighter 4.  It just seems like once the X360/PS3 generation rolled around, the company forgot how to make great new games.   They remember how to make 16-Bit compilation collections, but that's about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

Anyone know if they decided to keep the "floating design" piece of plastic on the bottom or did the bean counters tell them it would cost $0.03
We all know why they did not make the original ribbed design, because IT NEEDS MORE MOLDS AND LEFTOEVER PLASTIC PER UNIT THAT COSTS $$$ (also added assembly costs) It had nothing to do with difficulty, this displays the complete clueless ineptitude at the helm of this pet project.

They're keeping the floating design because they need the space. My guess would be for the APU cooler and vent pipe.

@Historian, who you may recall was involved with the Feargal-era Ataribox, said the ribbed design was innovative. I don't believe he said why. If memory serves he confirmed an article which mentioned the ribs raising to cool off, or something (I don't quite recall).  I can't imagine where the innovation is, unless it's like a sports car becoming lower-profile at higher speeds.  Go go AtariTransformerBox.  It seems everyone on the planet except Atari knew it wouldn't be cost-effective.  Don't forget the added labor for case assembly!

Now the original Ataribox--that would be a conversation piece to have.   ?

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
Added Historian link.
  • Like 4

After seeing all the nonsense for months, I'm convinced the so-called ribbed design was simply a set of stacked plates cut on a CNC router that they were able to make in the shop easily. They never even tried to put anything inside that other than an led nightlight. Eventually someone smarter informed them they couldn't mass produce that way, and it went out the window.

• Like 5

The animation has been memory-holed on IGG, but still can be found in the below video.  I've mentioned this before, but take note how much effort Moak says went into the design.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:17 PM, Nathan Strum said:

Well, if the renderings they have on their own video are any indication, I don't see how they're going to work as vents:

post-2641-0-36623300-1530058624_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-30237600-1530058623_thumb.jpg

Much less have enough space inside the thing for, you know... circuit boards 'n' stuff.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the current state of Sega.  The last Sega game I enjoyed was Sonic Mania, and that wasn't even developed by Sega.  Before that, it was Panzer Dragoon Orta or Virtua Fighter 4.  It just seems like once the X360/PS3 generation rolled around, the company forgot how to make great new games.   They remember how to make 16-Bit compilation collections, but that's about it. 

I think the fairest way to put it would be that Sega is a decent publisher these days, but a crap developer. Sonic Forces doesn't hold a candle to Sonic Mania, but then you've got things like the Yakuza games. Sega's really all over the damn place these days. 

If it counts, the best part is the Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter. I don't even like Twitter, but those guys are funny. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

I think the fairest way to put it would be that Sega is a decent publisher these days, but a crap developer. Sonic Forces doesn't hold a candle to Sonic Mania, but then you've got things like the Yakuza games. Sega's really all over the damn place these days. 

If it counts, the best part is the Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter. I don't even like Twitter, but those guys are funny. 

I think what bothers me the most is the mismanagement of existing IP's.  Shining Force is a prime example.   Apparently Sega got into some kind of dispute with the guys at Camelot during SF3's development, so Camelot is long gone.  The new Shining games are nothing like the old ones, so why not try the old style again?

I don't understand why Sega Ages has always been spotty on what system it comes out on.  Dragon Force only came out on PS2, and only in Japan?  Why?  Current Sega Ages games are Switch only?  Why?  This company really seems to enjoy leaving money on the table for some reason. 

• Like 2

IntelliMission

don't worry, This is NOT Atari, this is not Nolan Bushnell or Wozniak in a garage making pong boards, This is just some Fiend who got his grubby hands on the Atari name and is milking it for whatever cache the name has in mainstream markets.

You are better of getting legit hardware, or even better, some of the old flashbacks have all you need to make a fully functioning Atari!, the cool people who designed them included solder points on the "motherboard" so that anyone willing to solder can add a cartridge connector. Edited by OCAT
  • Like 10

23 hours ago, carlsson said:

Over here, there probably are 10 times as many variants of pickled herring sold in the store than there are announced games for the Atari VCS. Well, OK. I know that if you multiply zero by any number, you still get zero but please imagine they got at least 1 game.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:41 AM, Flojomojo said:

We went to a giant smorgasbord at IKEA last night. Friday the 13th or not, what's luckier than that? No tacos, but the variety of smoked and pickled fish more than made up for it. ?? ?? ? ? ?

I live 25 miles from the oldest Norwegian settlement in North America.  I need to hit the restaurant there again.

Yes, I know Ikea is Swedish, but I gotta take what I can get.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

Top 10 depends on what you’re into but here our mine in no particular order. 

Space Invaders

Berzerk

Pitfall

Pac Man (yeah so what)

Super Breakout

Centipede 

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Yars Revenge

Asteroids

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

When it fails (I'm not convinced that there is another option; 10,000 users do not a viable platform make when you're talking cloud-connected console hardware), the failure and bankruptcy of Atari SA will be absolutely deserved.  They are no more than an IP holding and licensing company, with no relation to the Atari that kickstarted pretty much the entire industry, and are perfectly happy to whore the name out on any tat that they think they can squeeze a few shekels out of.

It might be more accurate to say that it's a shame that the current holders of the Atari name are lying, disingenuous turds with no appreciation for what they have and a cynical arrogance towards anyone for whom the name may have importance.  Granted, there's a lot that led up to this point that predated them, but the people currently at the helm are the absolute nadir of bottom-of-the-barrel management to pass through the company in its entire history - and they're the ones who are responsible for the joke that it's become today.

Atari, from a positive point of view: everything before 1996 (more so if you go in reverse chronological order).

Edited by x=usr(1536)
I just can't get enough of that crazy, crazy edit button!
  • Like 8

For the next trick, try naming your top ten Atari published games from the past six years. Can you even get to three without including re-releases?

We're somehow expected to believe that this thing is going to have exclusive games. On that track record, it ain't going to happen.

Edited by Matt_B
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Other than the ATARI name, this group has NOTHING.

They haven't developed a hit game, either as an arcade title or for an existing system.

Their game developer pricing structure means that IF you develop a game for the Atari, you better not put much time into it, because you will NEVER make back your investment otherwise.

There is NO life expectancy for this system beyond 6 months, because it will be out-of-date in that amount of time.

Other than the Atari name, there is NOTHING to justify the price of the console.

The people who bought the Atari name conned the public into thinking they would be able to play an almost limitless supply of classic arcade games with internet-based features for a multi-media and potential multiplayer experience.

In the end, if this is actually released, you will get existing technology for 3x the cost of what you could purchase otherwise, with a nifty retro joystick as a bonus... but you have to be ready to pay more just to play anything on it because whatever comes on this system appears to be limited or non-existent.

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 4