IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

I just put the Sega Generations mod on my system. It does work, but the problem I've got now is that the internal emulator and MD.emu are fighting for control over the games, and I can't choose sides! It asks which emulator I want to use, but grays out the "just once" and "always" options and won't let me pick one. That... annoys me slightly. There is an app tray on the bottom left that lets me jump right into MD.emu, but I'd rather just use the interface the way it was designed to be used.

Is this it?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sega-generations-1st-launcher-companion-for-the-flashback-hd.494432/

all the hassle of RetroPie, plus having to work around arbitrary limitations to keep it jailbroken!

Why do people buy things like this and the (S)NES classic minis when all-purpose hardware can do the same thing? :grin:

I guess you like the controllers and case design to the point that it's worth it?

• Like 2

(S)NES Classic are great running their native systems. The emulator is accurate and plays like their original hardware.

I think some folks here were somewhat disappointed when comparing them with the Genesis Flashback HD.

While the Flashback HD is a huge improvement from the previous AtGames Genesis, we've seen that it struggles to run even some of the built-in games (not even considering "Shinning Force II" which came with a corrupted ROM). The cartridge slot is also a hit-and-miss due to the emulator. I hope that the 2018 version have a better emulator and Atgames can make the things easier to add more games (they can just copy Super Retrocade).

I really don't like the idea to use the minis as a Retropie, but I expect them at least running their built-in games as we remember them on the original hardware.
  • Like 1

Does the Flashback have a crashing bug in Phantasy Star 4 and a spell casting bug in Shining Force 2? There is one video on YouTube that states this.

Yes, Shining Force 2 has a ROM with wrong checksum so it's probably bad. I replaced it with a good ROM and it works fine with the default emulator. I did not play Phantasy Star 4 yet...

Edited by rmr_md

Few games (Shining in Darkness, Shinning Force and Super Thunder Blade) are just the normal ROMs compressed with gzip.
I used an old tool to fix checksum for Genesis/32x games to verify the checksum, you can find it at segaretro.org.
The other games seem to use a different format as I couldn't uncompress them and run in emulators.

• 3 weeks later...

Well what's this? https://www.cnet.com/news/sega-megadrive-mini-announce/

I'm guessing it's made by AtGames, as its Twitter account told to pay attention to some Sega announcement yesterday.

Anyway, official Sega Mega Drive, man! :D

Yes it is. I just updated the Twitter feed. Basically this is going to use our newest 2018 technology, which will also find its way into the products for the other territories.

• Like 2

Yes it is. I just updated the Twitter feed. Basically this is going to use our newest 2018 technology, which will also find its way into the products for the other territories.

I KNEW IT!! Awesome news :D Congrats to AtGames, for this deal is going to be the best possible.

Hmmm... I wonder it the controllers will be those made by Retro-bit. It would make sense and would help enhancing the new console's feel.

Edited by molul

Well what's this? https://www.cnet.com/news/sega-megadrive-mini-announce/

I'm guessing it's made by AtGames, as its Twitter account told to pay attention to some Sega announcement yesterday.

Anyway, official Sega Mega Drive, man! :D

The Flashback was official wasn't it? Can't say I'm too hopeful for this after seeing the Flashback's reviews. Wish Sega would pull a Nintendo and just make it themselves.

For the love of Pete, AtGames, stop making these! You haven't gotten it right in ten years... what the hell makes you think you'll get it right this time?!

It's not so much a case as getting back on the horse after you've fallen off it... it's more like trying to ride the horse by climbing into its rectum.

• Like 1

For the love of Pete, AtGames, stop making these! You haven't gotten it right in ten years... what the hell makes you think you'll get it right this time?!

It's not so much a case as getting back on the horse after you've fallen off it... it's more like trying to ride the horse by climbing into its rectum.

Good one. Hopefully you'll keep an open mind once the reviews for the 2018 models hit.

• Like 1

Sega's fans deserve good emulation. That was promised last year, but the tech press was unconvinced (note: those are reviews from October after the Flashback HD was supposedly improved). Hopefully this thing finally delivers. First-party Genesis emulation has been awful from the start (Sega Smash Pack Vol 1 on the Dreamcast, anybody?) and at this point I've given up hope. It's why I bought an OSSC and a VA4 Genesis 2.

All the negativity is perfectly understandable. It's up to AtGames to deliver this year with the HD hardware to once and for all silence the doubters. The change to a proven emulator and other extra enhancements that have been requested for the longest time I think will go a long way. Same thing on the Atari HD side.

• Like 1

All the negativity is perfectly understandable. It's up to AtGames to deliver this year with the HD hardware to once and for all silence the doubters. The change to a proven emulator and other extra enhancements that have been requested for the longest time I think will go a long way. Same thing on the Atari HD side.

I'm sure I remember you saying something similar about the HD Genesis Flashback :P Still, I hope you're right as I really would love a mini Mega Drive to go with my Mini C64, NES and SNES :D