IGNORED

Your guess on what OS will Ataribox be using?

It'd naturally have to be an OS with a name bearing some relationship to Atari.

So, Solaris. Or maybe AtarIX. The command line error messages would be fun.

"Bad Missile Command or file name."

"Major Havoc reading drive A:"

Instead of "cat," the utility would be called "lynx."

onmode-ky

• Like 1

I would be surprised if it was windows-based. Can't see Atari wanting to pay licensing fees, but I've been surprised before. My assumption would be that they'll go the linux route.

I'm still a little fuzzy on what exactly the Ataribox will be. Is it going to be more like an Ouya? There hasn't really been a successful device that's in the same vein as things like the Ouya yet, so I kind of doubt Atari will find a market for it. Unless it runs emulators really well, and has a good controller. Then I might be interested in it.

The benefit of it being x86-based is that it should be easier to hack.

• 3 months later...

Linux FreeMINT! :rolling:

Seriously, since we now know Ataribox will run Linux it's dead easy to put BeeKey on a flash drive and turn it into a TOS computer...with an Atari logo on the case again!

Don't worry, you don't have to tell this guy. One of the previous campaigns he ran did in fact claim that a USB stick with Linux is "just like a PC! Think about it!"

Proof: https://youtu.be/ujKxVNEHVS0?t=10m58s

Don't worry, you don't have to tell this guy. One of the previous campaigns he ran did in fact claim that a USB stick with Linux is "just like a PC! Think about it!"

Proof: https://youtu.be/ujKxVNEHVS0?t=10m58s

Haha, that would be funny if I plug an Atari watch in a PC at work and turn it into a ST/TT! :D

• Like 1

I'm not very familiar with linux other than having it on a laptop and use it only for web browsing but now that we all know it is linux maybe someone could answer a question for me. If it is linux and will be open would that mean I can turn this thing into a DVR? I mean if I were to buy a USB digital TV tuner and hook to this thing(like originally intended by Microsoft with Xbox One, but failed to bring in DVR support so all we can do is watch channels through the Xbox and not record). I'm sure they probably make some USB tuners that have linux drivers and software that would work right? If so that is what I would like is one device that I can game on, scroll through find a TV channel to watch, and set up recording shows, and also do other apps such as youtube and SlingTV. I've asked that question before and was told by another that the wouldn't include that probably but if the box is open and allows us to install our own stuff on it shouldn't it work?

I'm not very familiar with linux other than having it on a laptop and use it only for web browsing but now that we all know it is linux maybe someone could answer a question for me. If it is linux and will be open would that mean I can turn this thing into a DVR? I mean if I were to buy a USB digital TV tuner and hook to this thing(like originally intended by Microsoft with Xbox One, but failed to bring in DVR support so all we can do is watch channels through the Xbox and not record). I'm sure they probably make some USB tuners that have linux drivers and software that would work right? If so that is what I would like is one device that I can game on, scroll through find a TV channel to watch, and set up recording shows, and also do other apps such as youtube and SlingTV. I've asked that question before and was told by another that the wouldn't include that probably but if the box is open and allows us to install our own stuff on it shouldn't it work?

Yes, just check to see that the USB stick is supported by Linux. You could install something like 'Kodi' for the DVR piece.

I'd be happy with Windows 3.1. It was the first professional operating system I worked with.

I'm sure lots of people will consider Windows 3.1 NOT as a professional operating system. Only since Windows NT (which inherits ideas from VMS since it was developed by DEC employees), it was becoming a professional OS :-D

• Like 1

I'm sure lots of people will consider Windows 3.1 NOT as a professional operating system. Only since Windows NT (which inherits ideas from VMS since it was developed by DEC employees), it was becoming a professional OS :-D

I'm going to have to agree with Keatah on this, although I am going to be one of those "Windows 3.1 is not technically an operating system" people. But other than that I agree that it was the first profesional opererating "environment". Windows 3.11 for workgroups was my first introduction to Windows, and I never wanted to go back to DOS again(except for games ofcoarse that required it). I liked being able to do everything, switch back and forth between applications(we weren't cool back then so we didn't say apps) with ease. Also, not sure if anyone here has tried this but there was a freeware Windows shell called Calmira, which you could replace the program manager with, which made Windows 3.1 look and behave pretty much just like Windows 95, 98, etc with the Start menu, and having the unopened applications on the desktop(that you choose just like 95) rather than in the program manager, and it hid the icons of currently used programs which went on the desctop and moved them to the taskbar so it looked and behaved just like 95. All of my friends that came over didn't believe me when I told them it was Windows 3.11. Also you could add Win32s and run some 32 bit programs.

Edited by SignGuy81

I'm going to have to agree with Keatah on this, although I am going to be one of those "Windows 3.1 is not technically an operating system" people. But other than that I agree that it was the first profesional opererating "environment". Windows 3.11 for workgroups was my first introduction to Windows, and I never wanted to go back to DOS again(except for games ofcoarse that required it). I liked being able to do everything, switch back and forth between applications(we weren't cool back then so we didn't say apps) with ease. Also, not sure if anyone here has tried this but there was a freeware Windows shell called Calmira, which you could replace the program manager with, which made Windows 3.1 look and behave pretty much just like Windows 95, 98, etc with the Start menu, and having the unopened applications on the desktop(that you choose just like 95) rather than in the program manager, and it hid the icons of currently used programs which went on the desctop and moved them to the taskbar so it looked and behaved just like 95. All of my friends that came over didn't believe me when I told them it was Windows 3.11. Also you could add Win32s and run some 32 bit programs.

Funny because Windows 3.1 for me was something I could just show off. "Look, I can run Windows!" Friend: "What can you do with it?" Me: "Um, Solitaire?"

Most of my games/apps required DOS, and windows was something I rarely loaded.

Windows 95 was the first Windows that actually impacted me in a meaningful way.