IGNORED

7800 joystick question

Atari-Collector

I'm thinking about getting a 7800, but I'm a bit confused about the joystick. I see a lot of them on the evil auction site with standard 2600 style joysticks, don't they need to have 2 buttons on 7800 games?

Also, I use a clone Genesis controller on my 2600 because of a hand injury, would that work on the 7800 as well? then I won't even need to worry able the joysticks..

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting a 7800, but I'm a bit confused about the joystick. I see a lot of them on the evil auction site with standard 2600 style joysticks, don't they need to have 2 buttons on 7800 games?

Also, I use a clone Genesis controller on my 2600 because of a hand injury, would that work on the 7800 as well? then I won't even need to worry able the joysticks..

These are the controllers you can get:

https://atariage.com/controller_list.php?SystemID=7800

Personally, I like the 7800 Joypads (CX78), which you can get from Best Electronics: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm

The original Atari 2600 joysticks will work on the 7800, but only feature 1 button so you would lose functionality on some games. Also, the original joystick works fine for when you use 2600 games on it. So in order to get the full function of 7800 games, yes, I would recommend the 2 button joystick, or a modded/custom controller.

The genesis controller will work on the 7800, but only for 1 button games (due to how the genesis controller is wired). However there are people who mod these controllers for 2 button functionality.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried plugging an infrared controller adaptor like http://segaretro.org/Remote_Arcade_System intothe Seagull 78? My only worry is that it uses both ports on the Mega Drive and might not get enough power.

Either way any first or third party Mega Drive controller will probably be a better option that the official Euro joypad.

Edladdin sells an adapter that allows Genesis controllers to work with two buttons on the 7800. He also has a complete line of custom 7800 controllers.

The Seagull 78 adapter he sells is well worth it.

http://edladdin.com/

That is an interesting looking device. and it looks like he doesn't charge extra to ship to Canada which is a huge plus.

on the ironic side, the Sega clone control I have only cost about $11 (C$), but it easier with my messed up right hand. I can still use normal 2600 sticks, it just that I can only use them a short time.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried plugging an infrared controller adaptor like http://segaretro.org/Remote_Arcade_System intothe Seagull 78? My only worry is that it uses both ports on the Mega Drive and might not get enough power.

Either way any first or third party Mega Drive controller will probably be a better option that the official Euro joypad.

I asked this once as well and the consensus was that sitting crosslegged on the hardwood floor 3 feet from the tv all bug eyed is the way to play atari.

I asked this once as well and the consensus was that sitting crosslegged on the hardwood floor 3 feet from the tv all bug eyed is the way to play atari.

Well anything else would be heresy. Though saying that I might be able to pick up an extension cable to test the adapter on a Mega Drive through one port and let you know the outcome (whenever I could get around to doing that).

• Like 1

That is an interesting looking device. and it looks like he doesn't charge extra to ship to Canada which is a huge plus.

on the ironic side, the Sega clone control I have only cost about $11 (C$), but it easier with my messed up right hand. I can still use normal 2600 sticks, it just that I can only use them a short time.

No extra charges for Canada, just whatever the shipping tables calculate. A warning, though... On the large controllers, UPS will hit you with a brokerage fee that varies between "unreasonable" and "obscene". Better to pay a little more for US Postal Service, who will not charge the hidden fee.

Edladdin sells an adapter that allows Genesis controllers to work with two buttons on the 7800. He also has a complete line of custom 7800 controllers.

The Seagull 78 adapter he sells is well worth it.

http://edladdin.com/

I agree seagulls are well worth it, I got a pair for my 7800 works great (will have them in use for VGS17 as well with selected 7800 games as well for the harmony game I'll be using for 2600

game via harmony cart)

• Like 1

No extra charges for Canada, just whatever the shipping tables calculate. A warning, though... On the large controllers, UPS will hit you with a brokerage fee that varies between "unreasonable" and "obscene". Better to pay a little more for US Postal Service, who will not charge the hidden fee.

Totally agree!!
  • Like 2

OH i know all about UPS fees.. Years ago I had to get a good heat-sink and fan for a then high end AMD K6-2 400Mhz (I still have it btw) because the twit at the local store sold it with a undersized cooled that was only good for a 200MHz CPU.. I ordered one from a manufacture in California (Globalwin I think was the name) and they promised to send it US Mail, but then sent it UPS.. the cooler was $15, by the time I paid all the UPS fees it cost me $50, but I had no choice since the local store refused to special order what I wanted. Of course that store is long out of business.. So I'm a bit paranoid about stuff coming across the border. And I won't go in to my normal rant about ebay's Global Shipping program ripoff..

US Mail to Canada Post, best way to send anything across the border..

• Like 1