IGNORED

Is 3DS still around?

Serguei2

I will second seeing Wii (not Wii U) games still active "outside the glass" in medium sized racks at three different WalMart stores. Not so much behind the glass in prime area of course... but over with the PS3 overflow stuff. Wii and Wii U games are still viable for a bit of time I think. This is only speculation as I have no inside information with Nintendo Developers of course.

Bill L is correct... the Wii U never came down in price. On the official Nintendo eBay store, they have been selling refurbished units for months for $200 USD. Last I looked it was over 15000 units sold. Pretty good demand for a "dead" system. I realized this is relatively small, but shows people don't fear its viability.

Maybe some of the incomplete games for the Wii and Wii U will more likely be finished as they know they can and will be ported to the 2/3DS family as some games are. (like Lego City Undercover was... great game that shines on both systems in my opinion)

MrBlackCat

"Now that the Nintendo Switch is out"...

yeah, but the fact is, you can't go out and get one!

Depends entirely on where you are I find. I "went out and got one" on Friday.

Although yeah I know they are out of stock more often than not. I'd recommend keeping a closer eye on gamestop and toys r us over walmart however. Walmart tends to get sold out faster. Additionally, Fridays still seem to be when restocks on the switch happen most frequently. (My own observations locally anyhow!)

I will second seeing Wii (not Wii U) games still active "outside the glass" in medium sized racks at three different WalMart stores. Not so much behind the glass in prime area of course... but over with the PS3 overflow stuff. Wii and Wii U games are still viable for a bit of time I think. This is only speculation as I have no inside information with Nintendo Developers of course.

Bill L is correct... the Wii U never came down in price. On the official Nintendo eBay store, they have been selling refurbished units for months for $200 USD. Last I looked it was over 15000 units sold. Pretty good demand for a "dead" system. I realized this is relatively small, but shows people don't fear its viability.

Maybe some of the incomplete games for the Wii and Wii U will more likely be finished as they know they can and will be ported to the 2/3DS family as some games are. (like Lego City Undercover was... great game that shines on both systems in my opinion)

MrBlackCat

So we can found new Wii games in the bargain bins.

Are new Wii games licenced by Nintendo?

Just Dance 2018 is and if someone else wanted to do it they're fine with it at this point still. If it makes money enough for them to care they'll license whatever. Kind of a damning thing too that the Wii still gets new games and they sell on good level while the WiiU just sits and sputters.

I see you have focused on one particular aspect of previous statements...

I do not (nor do you) know of new games for Wii really. I agree it is doubtful beyond some ports of easily scalable games.

The point I was trying to make is that new games do not define a systems direct viability. Availability of games on store shelves DOES directly demonstrate viability.

Is the PS 4 consoles still made? Yes. Is the PS3 console still made? No. Are PS2 consoles being made? Absolutely not. Are new games being made for PS3? Probably, doesn't matter, they are on the shelves because the system is still viable. Are new games being made for PS2? Not that I am aware of. Are PS2 new games available at retail in WalMart today and every day? Yes, in every WalMart here. They are right over there next to the Wii and PS3 games.

On a side note, there are still Nintendo DS Games on the shelves as well.

You see my point now. Maybe we type about two different things.

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

The 3DS isn't dead yet, but it is certainly nearing the end of its life. I expect it to hang around for at least another year. After that, I expect Nintendo to start releasing different versions of the Switch that would make it a more appropriate portable substitute. For example, Nintendo needs to offer a version of the Switch without the dock for those who don't care about using it at home. They might even need to release a slightly smaller version for those who believe the Switch is too large to be truly portable.

I'm still in agreement with that thinking back to my older post. With what they have known coming it'll live deeply into 2018 maybe into 2019 at best all coming down to developer support which Nintendo can prop up peppering a game or two a year into it like the upcoming Metroid 2 remaster.

It has no long viability though. Nintendo shut down their internal competing business development (R&D, game dev) model of handheld and console into one. Switch is what they switched to and will stick with, so if they feel the need to have a handheld it'll be a lightened up Switch where the controllers don't pop off, no dock, no other foofoo in the box. Just a solid tablet, perhaps an inch smaller (diagonal) screen to reduce costs and power consumption a bit. Doing that they could roll out a cheaper handheld notably saving the costs on that and the no longer packed in accessories other than a charging cable/plug. For those looking to TV up later, then buy the dock+hdmi cable and then sell a box set of 2 joycons with charging grip.

I agree that the 3DS is becoming an afterthought, even if Nintendo are keeping it afloat with a few staggered releases. It is, however, an amazing system and I will definitely be collecting for it well into the future. I've even gone so far as to say that it is my favorite Nintendo system since the SNES. Even if you can't find it on store shelves, there are tons great games to hunt down and enjoy, many of which are firmly entrenched with the design concepts, pacing and art styles from 90s, which is a bonus if you are nostalgic and like JRPGs.

• Like 3

I noticed the New 2DS has hit stores only recently, so I'd expect Ninteno is still keeping their handheld alive. I have a New 3DS and it's my choice of handheld. Definitely a lot more portable than the Switch.

It's definitely weird that they release the New 2DS 2 years after the New 3DS...

Has Switch a touch screen?

It's maybe the part of fun you can interact directly with the screen.

Of course 3DS has buttons too that make a great portable console.

Yes, the Switch has a better touch screen and controls than even the latest 3DS/2DS designs. They are quite different designs, though, obviously, and certainly products of different generations.

Now I'm curious to see how to use the switch touch screen when you're playing on tv.

Nope. When your Switch is in the dock, you don't get to use the touchscreen functions. Explanation here. To my knowledge, there isn't a reliable third party substitute for the official Switch dock yet.

Play Mode Overview

Applies to: Nintendo Switch

Information: The Nintendo Switch allows you to enjoy three different play styles:
  • TV mode
  • Tabletop mode
  • Handheld mode

In TV mode the Nintendo Switch is placed on its dock and the application screen is displayed on your television.

In order to use the Joy-Con controller(s) in TV mode, they must be detached from the console. You can enjoy single or multiplayer games.

In tabletop mode, the Nintendo Switch is removed from its dock and placed on a flat surface. The screen output is displayed on the console screen.

In order to use the Joy-Con controller(s) in Tabletop mode, they must be detached from the console. You can enjoy single or multiplayer games.

In handheld mode, you play while holding the Nintendo Switch with the Joy-Con controllers connected to the console.

In this mode you can enjoy single-player games using one system, or local multiplayer games using multiple Nintendo Switch systems.

The 3DS has an old-fashioned resistive touchscreen like the DS, that works best with a stylus, and only on the bottom screen. The Switch has a capacitive touchscreen like a modern smartphone that works best with a finger.

The Switch is like your good tablets/ios stuff out there with I believe a 10 point touch screen for every finger and thumb you could have. The DS/3DS models of any sort being resistive only takes one touch alone. That screen only works in portable mode as when it's docked it goes off.

I'm curious really as I said before to see how long they drag it out before stuffing it under the rug. It's not like they haven't released late in life models of handhelds before to shove them under the bus in a very short time. DSi with it's couple physical releases, and the small run of the GB Micro for GBA come to mind.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is Nintendo will unofficially drop support for the 3DS once the first "core" Pokemon game comes out for the Switch. That's a year off, at least.

However, with 65M+ units in the wild, I bet you'll see a decent stream of non-shovelware third party games through 2020.

• Like 2

Times change... at least the DS/3DS Stuff isn't all digitally dependent so much that you can't play the games we do have as long as we can keep the systems running. I detest the term "Product Life-cycle". I am SO SICK of the PSP because of this... every time I pick one up, some game I am trying to play has to be re-downloaded because it has expired (Examples, GTA: VCS or GTA: LCS) I just really like having all these "cartridge-based" (memory card type) games to play... fast, and don't expire. :)

MrBlackCat

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The 3DS is still going pretty strong with new games coming out for it every month, this month it just got Metroid: Samus Returns. I haven't owned a New 3DS for very long but I've been really loving it so far and hope that Nintendo keeps supporting it as long as they can.

The Switch is a very cool console with some serious horsepower and an ever growing selection of good games, but I can't put it in my pocket and take it with me anywhere like I can with the 3DS. The Switch is a portable console in the most basic sense, but it is a little large to actually use as a portable unless you carry around a messenger bag, backpack, or large purse everywhere to stow it in. To that end I hope the 3DS line keeps going for a good long time. With Sony seemingly backing out of the handheld market there won't really be any pocket sized dedicated game systems once the 3DS goes out of production.

• Like 3

We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if there's eventually a "Switch Mini" in the future.

I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) would love to have a pocket sized Switch, maybe with dual circle pads instead of analog sticks for pocketability and controls built into to the system instead of detachable joycons to make it a more traditional and lower cost system. I'm just not sure how Nintendo could pull it off, given the limitations of current technology.

There's only so small that you can shrink down the parts involved in making a system as powerful as the Switch without having to sacrifice something necessary like cooling fans or battery space. As big as the Switch is compared to other portables, in it's current form the battery and cooling fan combined take up about 50% of the space inside the system and it's still only getting 3 hours of battery life and blowing 120°F air out of the cooling vents. So shrinking it down further without it melting itself or having to be recharged every half hour seems rather untenable.

Then again, the Game Boy Micro was a thing that existed so you never know! Nintendo might have some kind of wizardry up their sleeves and I'd sure like to have a pocket sized Switch as much as anyone. :)

I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) would love to have a pocket sized Switch, maybe with dual circle pads instead of analog sticks for pocketability and controls built into to the system instead of detachable joycons to make it a more traditional and lower cost system. I'm just not sure how Nintendo could pull it off, given the limitations of current technology.

There's only so small that you can shrink down the parts involved in making a system as powerful as the Switch without having to sacrifice something necessary like cooling fans or battery space. As big as the Switch is compared to other portables, in it's current form the battery and cooling fan combined take up about 50% of the space inside the system and it's still only getting 3 hours of battery life and blowing 120°F air out of the cooling vents. So shrinking it down further without it melting itself or having to be recharged every half hour seems rather untenable.

Then again, the Game Boy Micro was a thing that existed so you never know! Nintendo might have some kind of wizardry up their sleeves and I'd sure like to have a pocket sized Switch as much as anyone. :)

Considering some smartphones are more powerful (and definitely more versatile) than the Switch, it can definitely be done. It's just a question of relative cost at this point.

I have no doubt it will be done, but likely only after the 3DS is end-of-lifed. As such, I would think no later than 2019 we'd see a pocket Switch, as well as a Switch Pro in a similar form factor to the existing model.

• Like 2

You are thinking from the mindset of the current design. Years from now consolidations and redesigns will be entirely possible.

• Like 2

After purchasing a 2DS recently (ahead of the release of Metroid Samus Returns, which I bought last Friday), I had a lot of fun just browsing through the eShop and purchasing a few must-haves like Blaster Master Zero and Shovel Knight, along with a few fun-looking indie games like Xeodrifter. I'm a little miffed that my 2DS can't run Super-NES VC games because I wanted to buy games like Super Metroid, Mega Man X and Demon's Crest, but it's not too bad, since I can spend that money on old DS games like Zelda Phantom Hourglass which are relatively cheap to buy on eBay these days.

Also, I really wish I could play Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion on my 2DS, but I guess that'll never happen. By the way, I looked at Game Boy Micros on eBay recently, and current prices are nuts!!! At those prices, I'd rather spend my money on an old first-generation GBA modded with a backlit screen!

Anyway, the eShop is the one thing that can easily extend the life of the 3DS/2DS line. Even if Nintendo stops making games on physical media for those handhelds, they could still keep the eShop running and let indie developers make new downloadable games for at least a few more years. Linking up a 3DS/2DS to the net via WiFi is easy enough, SD cards are still widely available for purchase everywhere, and Nintendo can issue more eShop money cards for those (like me) who don't have a credit card. For the rest, Nintendo can simply continue to accept new 3DS games from indie developers and put them up for download on the eShop.

Speaking of which, after browsing the eShop for 3DS games, I found myself being surprised by the lack of side-scrolling space shooters. There are a few (especially on the Virtual Console, like Gradius, Life Force and a few other favorites) but I was expecting to see more of them. Shooter seem to be vastly outnumbered by platformers, RPGs, puzzle games, and casual time-killers. Really, I'd be all over a good Thunderforce clone or something similar, to add variety to my collection of downloaded eShop games.

I'm also surprised that "today's Atari" and "today's Activision" haven't tried to cash in on the eShop for 3DS. Old favorites like Pressure Cooker, Pitfall!, Frostbite, Solaris, Yars' Revenge, etc. would have been great little gems on the 3DS, with improved graphics+audio but with the gameplay kept mostly intact. Kind of a lost opportunity there, in my humble opinion.

Anyway, going back on topic, I think the 3DS will be kicked to the curb once the Switch Mini is announced, which is certainly going to happen in a couple of years, once they figure out how to miniaturize the parts. The carts are already the right size for a "small Switch" to begin with.

• Like 1

I have had a 3DS since late 2013, but as I still have yet to open its packaging, I don't have much perspective to offer on the 3DS ecosystem. . . . They are definitely still in stores around here, though, along with a non-trivial selection of games. In contrast, the local shops have long since stopped stocking PSV hardware and software, though that system still has a healthy pipeline of releases (e.g., 4 new PSV games in the NA PS Store today, of which one also has a physical release). How often does the 3DS eShop get new releases? The 3DS doesn't get a whole lot of ESRB ratings activity these days; are most eShop releases just not rated?

I did want to respond to an earlier post, though:

I detest the term "Product Life-cycle". I am SO SICK of the PSP because of this... every time I pick one up, some game I am trying to play has to be re-downloaded because it has expired (Examples, GTA: VCS or GTA: LCS)

How is this happening for you? I have a large number of downloaded PSP games, but they don't expire. Is "expire" the actual word you're seeing in an error message, or do you mean some kind of data corruption? If it's the former, the only scenario I can think of is that the games are free downloads from a PS+ subscription, so each download gets locked on the date of the current subscription's ending. Assuming that scenario, you could get non-timed downloads by buying the games once your subscription has lapsed. Outside of PS+ freebies, though, I can't think of any reason why a downloaded PSP game would stop working (aside from corruption or account switching).

onmode-ky

• Like 1

I have had a 3DS since late 2013, but as I still have yet to open its packaging, I don't have much perspective to offer on the 3DS ecosystem. . . . They are definitely still in stores around here, though, along with a non-trivial selection of games. In contrast, the local shops have long since stopped stocking PSV hardware and software, though that system still has a healthy pipeline of releases (e.g., 4 new PSV games in the NA PS Store today, of which one also has a physical release). How often does the 3DS eShop get new releases? The 3DS doesn't get a whole lot of ESRB ratings activity these days; are most eShop releases just not rated?

I did want to respond to an earlier post, though:

How is this happening for you? I have a large number of downloaded PSP games, but they don't expire. Is "expire" the actual word you're seeing in an error message, or do you mean some kind of data corruption? If it's the former, the only scenario I can think of is that the games are free downloads from a PS+ subscription, so each download gets locked on the date of the current subscription's ending. Assuming that scenario, you could get non-timed downloads by buying the games once your subscription has lapsed. Outside of PS+ freebies, though, I can't think of any reason why a downloaded PSP game would stop working (aside from corruption or account switching).

onmode-ky

It isn't just free downloads from the PS Plus account, it is any game that was discounted or otherwise related to the PS Plus account. There are a LOT of games that do this... MBC bought a RockStar Bundle of some kind, so all of them do it. But again, this isn't just the free stuff (which we paid for anyway, just not directly) but any game sale price associated with the PS Plus account.

No corruption or anything like that though.

MrBlackCat