IGNORED

Hyperkin GN6 and Cadet controllers

thgill

Hi guys.

I just posted up a video review of both the Hyperkin GN6 controller for the Sega Genesis and the Cadet controller for the NES.

Both are great controllers, especially the Cadet.

Thought I would share it with you.

Don't some Genesis games use the mode button for gameplay functions?

Looks like it's placed pretty conveniently here, almost like a shoulder button. Might be handy in such games compared to reaching into the center of the controller to access it.

Too bad they're not wireless.

Edited by Atariboy

Shadow Squadron is the one that comes right to my mind. It changes the view.

The pad-hacking points are a pretty decent thing for them to do, that costs nothing extra. Also it's nice that so many parts seem interchangeable. All 3rd party controllers should have nice touches like that. I hope they do a dogbone some day. There are no rebuild kits for those, and I could go for some new rubber with nice, snappy feedback.

Edited by Reaperman

I got the Cadet controller as a replacement for my worn out pad.

I tested two of the most demanding games with it: Contra and Marble Madness. I was able to beat both without much trouble.

If I have an issue, it's that the buttons are rather "clicky" and loud. And I wonder how it will hold up with a lot of use over time. But no big deal.

It's a bit larger and more comfortable in the hands than the official pad.

Looks like it's placed pretty conveniently here, almost like a shoulder button. Might be handy in such games compared to reaching into the center of the controller to access it.

Too bad they're not wireless.

Fatal Fury 2 uses it for taunts, too. Looks like it's placed where it was on the original Sega controller.

Since folks have said that the cords are thicker than the RetroBit ones, I ordered one from Amazon to try out. Cheaper than original Sega on eBay, so I figured why not. Should come from Amazon tomorrow.

"clicky" buttons should be fixable with softer rubber pads. You can get that sort of thing on eBay for $5 shipped with enough to refurbish two controllers.

Edited by derFunkenstein