IGNORED

Indus GT and the dreaded G5 read error

Bryan

aside from the usual head & rail cleaning checks you can check the head, drive motor and stepper motor windings with a multimeter

see sams computerfacts page 17:

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Atari_1050_Disk_Drive_Sams_Computerfacts_Technical_Service.pdf

i went through my indus GT but the reliability problem was detected when i bought a modded ROM chip from Best Computing - it turned out the ROM socket had a bad contact(s) so i swapped it out for new and (touch wood) its been good ever since

it is also worth swapping the whole mech out to try in a working 1050 and try a known good 1050 tandon mech in the indus

you may be able to run the indus software for zero sensor and rpm calibration via an SIO2PC connection and an emulator - power the drive off and boot up the indus software up via SIO2PC. then click disconnect on the SIO2PC emulator and power up the drive. the atari is none the wiser and it should work with the drive

hope you get it sorted!

I looked at Novus (heard some suggestions here on the forums before) and I think it was either more expensive than what I ended up getting or harder to get (shipping time, etc.).

With the results I got, I don't think anything could be improved upon. It really looks as close to perfect as it can be.

okay but you need to name what you used