Clint Thompson

Atari JagDuo PCB discovered!

John Hardie has uncovered an unpopulated prototype board of the JagDuo that is dated 1996.

Really fascinating to learn that this can be confirmed as a design Atari actually worked on and not just a mockup shell of the console. Still amazes me the amount of things that still pop up after all these years!

post-985-0-68113300-1506659337.png

Sad it never materialized... was such a futuristic and beautiful design.

post-985-0-00847400-1506659493.jpg

post-985-0-17630700-1506659593_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

Surely, if its unpopulated it can be duplicated and populated?

Yeah, I'm not sure. The only problem with populating it is I don't think any remaining stock exists of the Tom and Jerry chips. Everything is still readily available for the most part.

• Like 2

Quick! FPGA Tom and Jerry, populate the board, then send it and its shell to be copied and produced in China. :grin:

I'm 100% on board with this! =D

• Like 2

Would be nice to see some points connected to a logic analyzer and the big chip sent to forensics to see what number was marked. Perhaps even get a look inside if it's totally custom.

• Like 1

Are there any components that were supposed to go on the board that were not found in a standard jag and jag cd? Always liked the jag duo case, kinda reminds me of a 3do.

Quick! FPGA Tom and Jerry, populate the board, then send it and its shell to be copied and produced in China. :grin:

Now this is a Kickstarter project I could get behind!

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm not sure. The only problem with populating it is I don't think any remaining stock exists of the Tom and Jerry chips. Everything is still readily available for the most part.

Hey, if there is a BOM and a way to FPGA/CPLD those chips (or just straight up replicate them), I say DO IT!

• Like 1

Always wanted a JagDuo and would use my Playstation 4 money for picking this up instead. ;)

• Like 2

Awesome stuff. Anyone know who owns the two duo prototype shells now?

I know he's not around anymore, but Buddybuddies mentioned several times that he wanted to/or was working out some things with the Jagduo?

@clint, do you still have the Jaguar 2 board?

I know he's not around anymore, but Buddybuddies mentioned several times that he wanted to/or was working out some things with the Jagduo?

@clint, do you still have the Jaguar 2 board?

Wait what, when did Buddybuddies leave?

There is only so long you can be rabidly passionate about collecting something. I think I hit critical mass with my Jaguar collection after six years. Honestly surprised BuddyBuddies went as long as he did.

• Like 3

I didn't say that he left, it's just that I can't recall the last time when I saw a post from him here at the forums but maybe I didn't pay enough attention :)

Beta Phase Games is still active, though.