IGNORED

Atari JagDuo PCB discovered!

Clint Thompson

How many of these boards exist? Looking at the PCB I can only see one large chip which is not on the standard board, which will be the CD chip. Most of the component blocks are pretty much lifted and moved from the main Jaguar board, as you'd expect given the time constraints, so the majority would be easy enough to populate. If you could get a good hi-res scan (flat bed scanner) it would be possible to re-lay this out and produce new boards (on other old machines this has happened) -- I know some people would want one.... I'd be stupid enough to buy one... lol. :) It would likely cost about $15-20 a board for something that size, possibly more, the PCB fab house I use doesn't go above 20x20cm, this will probably be a bit larger.

Like most hardware geeks, I can't help but be fascinated in hardware that never made it...

• Like 8

I'd buy one.

As surely would others, but beyond the fun speculation it gets into reality territory...

Something along the lines of a) is it possible at all b) is it feasible in any quantity more than one and c) if not, would you pay $20K for it... :)

That being said - if SainT is motivated enough he will have one, as he's a mad genius. :D

• Like 7

That being said - if SainT is motivated enough he will have one, as he's a mad genius. :D

Lol, if I can get hold of a decent scan of the PCB I'd look at knocking a few repros out! I honestly couldn't help but try and get one working if I had a PCB.... even if its just to the point of having a Jaguar without CD working on that PCB.

There's something wrong with me. I know that. :)

• Like 8

How many of these boards exist? Looking at the PCB I can only see one large chip which is not on the standard board, which will be the CD chip. Most of the component blocks are pretty much lifted and moved from the main Jaguar board, as you'd expect given the time constraints, so the majority would be easy enough to populate. If you could get a good hi-res scan (flat bed scanner) it would be possible to re-lay this out and produce new boards (on other old machines this has happened) -- I know some people would want one.... I'd be stupid enough to buy one... lol. :) It would likely cost about $15-20 a board for something that size, possibly more, the PCB fab house I use doesn't go above 20x20cm, this will probably be a bit larger.

Like most hardware geeks, I can't help but be fascinated in hardware that never made it...

Will be getting high resolution scans of the board sent over to you soon but will be a few weeks. May be able to provide the board films and/or PCB files as well, which would make matters a lot easier all around. There are currently 3 boards that I'm aware of existing, I'm also going to try to see if I can get scans of at least one of the others for comparison sake to make sure both are the same.

• Like 3

Will be getting high resolution scans of the board sent over to you soon but will be a few weeks. May be able to provide the board films and/or PCB files as well, which would make matters a lot easier all around. There are currently 3 boards that I'm aware of existing, I'm also going to try to see if I can get scans of at least one of the others for comparison sake to make sure both are the same.

Very cool, if there are gerber files for this that would make things very easy. Otherwise it'll be a bit of a long process redrawing it. Regardless, all good! :D

Lol, if I can get hold of a decent scan of the PCB I'd look at knocking a few repros out! I honestly couldn't help but try and get one working if I had a PCB.... even if its just to the point of having a Jaguar without CD working on that PCB.

There's something wrong with me. I know that. :)

You have the right kind of wrong.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any more news on this? :)

Finally got the correct part number late Friday evening - I was way off on the originally submitted one due to resolution of image. Currently waiting to hear back from the PCB manufacturer as I just followed up with them yesterday.

Will post more info as I get it. If that proves to be a bust, ultra hi-res scans will follow but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

• Like 5

Finally got the correct part number late Friday evening - I was way off on the originally submitted one due to resolution of image. Currently waiting to hear back from the PCB manufacturer as I just followed up with them yesterday.

Will post more info as I get it. If that proves to be a bust, ultra hi-res scans will follow but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Look man nobody cares. Just go play your PSVR already and forget about Jagduo, Jaguar 2, Jaguar CD, co-Jag its all obsolete technology anyway. Lol

But send me all your Jaguar stuff first. I'll give you $20. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, the PCB is not compatible with a ScatBox or CatBox as they separated the video connector (top) from the DSP connector (small connector on the right) :grin:

But that makes me wonder what the big connector on the right is for? It has more pins than the video connector.

• Like 1