IGNORED

The Official SEGA CD/MEGA CD thread! (assuming there hasn't been one yet)

retrorussell

Whoa!!

I didn't know a Sega CD/Mega CD thread existed until now on Atariage. Glad it is since I have a few in my collection. I love Final Fight CD. The remix soundtrack was outstanding and one of my favorites to listen for just the music.

Nice job Russ. Thank you for starting this thread. :thumbsup: :)

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Whoa!!

I didn't know a Sega CD/Mega CD thread existed until now on Atariage. Glad it is since I have a few in my collection. I love Final Fight CD. The remix soundtrack was outstanding and one of my favorites to listen for just the music.

Nice job Russ. Thank you for starting this thread. :thumbsup: :)

Thank you for showing interest, Anthony! I gotta agree on Final Fight CD-- they did a TERRIFIC job.

I had not heard of any Sega/Mega CD thread either; so here we are! I was absolutely thrilled when I got my Sega CD-- I had so much fun with Sonic CD, Road Avenger, Lunar, Sewer Shark, Night Trap and others.. it was funny seeing former celebrities (probably desperate for a buck) making an appearance in Sega CD FMV games (like Dana Plato in NIGHT TRAP, Deborah Harry, Corey Feldman and R. Lee Ermey in DOUBLE SWITCH, Robert Costanzo in SEWER SHARK, etc.).

• Like 1

For the sake of completedness :

Mega CD PAL boot, version 1 :

https://youtu.be/QvOCy5gXRUg

Interestingly it use the Japanese music (good choice, IMO) but a background different from either versions.

I prefer that one compared to the "Japanese flat panel logo going grazy" and to the US one.

It's a rare sight, as you can see by the date, the PAL Mega-CD 1 was released the same year than the Mega-CD 2.

Figures are a bit sketchy, but as little as 70 000 PAL MCD1 units were made. Most of them sold in the UK and Italy, but apparently, in France, the game stores Micromania bough 6 000 of those UK MCD1 and sold them to people that pre-orderer it. Sales in other European countries were even meager than that or simply never happened.

And the one that most Europeans are familiar with :

Again, going by personnal opinion... It's better than the Japanese one for background : less grainy picture and no awful Sonic (It's really strange, as the Japanese pic is really more pixelated than the Euro one, despite the fact that they seems to se the same basic background image. Maybe the designers made the Euro BG first, then decided to modify it to put Sonic in the JP one, thus reencoding and reducing the quality of the Japanese one?). But this time, I think the US version stand better, with that groovy music and the less shitty BG. Basically, the ideal one for me would be the US Background and music, with the European green glowy Mega CD Logo instead of the bit cheesy rainbow US Sega CD logo.

About it, an interesting nugget of information about BIOS and compatibility (this is more of a concern for European people, but still interesting)

The different Mega CD are locked region wise, both from game code AND frequency check.

Interestingly not all game check this, pretty much in the same fashion than the cart games does or does not.

Mainly, most Japanese games will run in US Sega-CD, and vice-versa, as frequency is the same.

They will not run into a PAL Megadrive, unless the console is modded for 60 htz frequency.

There is one exception tho :

Japanese Mega-CD with Bios 1.00 and Bios 2.00 doesn't check anything, allowing me for example to boot Japanese games with my unmodified 50 htz Megadrive.

Apparently, Jap Mega-CD 1 with an upgraded Bios are rare (as sales were slow in Japan) but finding a "good" Mega-CD 2 with prove more tricky.

Edited by CatPix

Ahh... the Sega CD! I know it's not the best console/peripheral in the universe, but nothing said edgy 90's awesomeness like having one of these bad larrys hooked up to your Genesis! When they debuted, a friend got one for a Christmas gift. His was an early Model 1, and it was cool as hell back then. He had a great collection of games, like Sonic CD, Silpheed, Mansion of the Hidden Souls, and more. I wanted one so bad.

A little under a year ago, I lucked upon a Model 2 at a local flea market for $15 in grungy, untested form. To my surprise, the thing actually worked!

HkE7F1d.jpg

I only have a couple of official games for it: Sol-Feace and the Sega Classics/Sherlock Holmes combo pack. I do, however, have some burned copies of games I made way back when I was emulating the Sega CD on an old PC, and they work on the console too!

Since figuring out that it will play burned games, I've discovered a few new favorites, like Final Fight CD, Road Avenger, Robo Aleste, and Popful Mail. I love this thing.

• Like 6

Some more Sega CD stuff:

Perhaps the coolest cutscene in HEART OF THE ALIEN. Unfortunately, Lester from the first game dies in this.

Last stage/ending to ROAD AVENGER:

Funny TIME GAL deaths:

The opening/gameplay of LOADSTAR: The Legend of Tully Boone:

Opening/gameplay for SILPHEED:

• Like 2

Well I finally got around to ordering a controller and fuse. I decided to go ahead and get an official six button controller since I couldn't find a list of CD games that required it. I know a tiny amount of Genesis games are incompatible, so I figured I could get a three button one easily if I wanted to. Looking forward to trying something besides Sewer Shark.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Well here's one I haven't played in years for the Sega CD. I use to love this game growing up.

Its called Prize Fighter. I loved the FMV scenes in this game since I'm into Boxing.

EXCELLENT! I liked Prize Fighter too. FMV haters groaned, of course, but it seemed to bring an angle to boxing games not seen at that point in time. Having Michael Buffer AND Judo Gene LaBell was a stroke of genius! With the arrows hinting where the punch was coming the game was a snap. I think I was able to beat it on the setting without them but I wrote down where all the punches were coming from. :)

More Sega CD clips!

Here's the music video-type opening for MORTAL KOMBAT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvzXc3EgX8I

The HEART OF THE ALIEN intro that picks right up where OUT OF THIS WORLD/ANOTHER WORLD ended:

The opening to Konami's cool-looking SNATCHER:

Part of the decidedly adult point-and-click mystery RISE OF THE DRAGON:

The goofy shooter KEIO FLYING SQUADRON's opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D1Hk1U8edY

Some of the shooter MICROCOSM:

VAY's opening:

Some of the horrid REVENGERS OF VENGEANCE:

The goofy vs. fighter BRUTAL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UnAJsFDhBk

SPACE ADVENTURE COBRA (based on an old manga series):

• Like 1

We call our Genesis setup the Franken-console. A Gen 1 Genesis, 32-X, and Gen 2 CD. It's modded for S-Video and we love it.

I burned all of the games onto Litescribe CD's, made custom inserts and used thin DVD cases. I have all but 3 or 4 since they didn't play very well. The entire collection fits on 6 shelves of a small bookcase. The orange ones are 32-X CDs.

post-39341-0-35273400-1507327236_thumb.jpg

post-39341-0-97767100-1507327246_thumb.jpg

post-39341-0-79583900-1507327255_thumb.jpg

post-39341-0-25354900-1507327264_thumb.jpg

post-39341-0-33866600-1507327271_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've been wanting to make custom DVD covers for my games for awhile. I don't really have the funds to get started, bookcases or printer, so I'm stuck with giant CD wallets. Plus some of the manuals wouldn't fit. Unless they have a DVD case version of the longbox that won't crack if you sneeze at it.

I've been wanting to make custom DVD covers for my games for awhile. I don't really have the funds to get started, bookcases or printer, so I'm stuck with giant CD wallets. Plus some of the manuals wouldn't fit. Unless they have a DVD case version of the longbox that won't crack if you sneeze at it.

I picked up the bookcases on Craigslist for $5 and gel stained them. The DVD cases were $10 for 100 on E-Bay. I use a basic ink-jet Brother printer with discount inkjet paper and a cutter I got on sale from Michael's. $30 in supplies total for the cases and shelving.

A good printer can be had for $80. I don't know anyone's financial situation, that may be too much for many people's budget.

The ink is the most expensive part of the modern printer, if you buy name brand ink it averages around $3000 per gallon. I buy bulk generic cartridges off e-bay and save tons of money. Instead of $11 for a black and $10 for each of the three color, I pay $16 for 6 of each cartridge.

Sorry, this got way off topic.

Ah, cool a Sega CD thread! I think in the last couple years, I've spent more time playing Sega CD games than Genesis. I have one that has both the NA and Japanese BIOS installed, which opened up the importing realm. The Mega CD is preferred for the some of the same reasons the Japanese Saturn is for me; games come in regular jewel cases instead of those stupid delicate longboxes that never survive shipping, artwork is much better, and there are a lot of cool Japan exclusives or games that are much cheaper to buy Japanese.

I'm one of those people who doesn't mind playing a text heavy game in Japanese if it's leagues cheaper. One of them is Shining Force CD. For anyone who balks at the price of the English version, don't be afraid to pick up a Japanese copy. The game itself is pretty simple to figure out since all the menus are picture based and there is an excellent resource in Shining Force Central that has all the info you might need (what certain items do) and a complete scene by scene script translation. Playing through it on the Mega CD was easy as pie.

One game that I get a charge out of that I never hear anything about (understandably) is AX-101. It's a FMV railshooter that has a nice art style and some cool 90s CGI, with the added bonus of having a soundtrack that uses the Genesis soundchip which is unique for the Sega CD. I'm the kind of person who finds railshooters fun, so keep that in mind.

I really like what Core did on the system. You have some games that really make use of the added capabilities in Jaguar, Battlecorps, BC Racers, Soul Star, Thunderhawk, but also some nice ports of their "normal" games like Wolfchild, Chuck Rock, and Chuck Rock 2. I think the latter three are definitive versions of those games from the addition of redbook audio music, cutscenes, and some expanded levels and graphical effects here and there.

I think my favorite Japanese exclusives are Night Striker and Devastator. Night Striker is a cross between Space Harrier, Outrun, and Darius. The 90s cyperpunk atmosphere is wonderful and you can choose between the arcade game soundtrack or an exclusive arranged one. The game is very low-res, but the ASIC is set up as such that compromises have to be made for a game like this. I think the game plays great, you just have to get used to the blockiness of how everything looks. Devastator is a game from our old friends at Wolfteam. It's a nice side scrolling action game starring a guy in a mech. It's pretty standard, but very fun. You have a few weapons that can be powered up. It includes some ASIC effects, a very Wolfteam-y soundtrack, and cutscenes taken from a 90s OVA that are cool to watch.

The Sega CD is such a great compliment to the Genesis and I think over the last few years we're seeing more of an acceptance and appreciation for it from the general gaming community. AVGN and his ilk did a lot of damage to its reputation but once people realized that there's a lot more to it than FMV games, I think it kind of took off which makes me happy to see it get some of the appreciation it deserves.

• Like 2

I decided to go ahead and get an official six button controller since I couldn't find a list of CD games that required it.

I don't know if any games require it, but there are quite a few games (CD or cart) that will take advantage of it. I'm always surprised when I find new ones.

More clips:

SLAM CITY WITH SCOTTIE PIPPEN

I didn't play this one but got to appreciate Scottie several years after this was released when he played for my Blazers.

The crappy CORPSE KILLER, a rail shooter with actors Vincent Schiavelli and Bill Mosely!

GROUND ZERO TEXAS:

FAHRENHEIT:

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA:

• Like 1