IGNORED

The Official SEGA CD/MEGA CD thread! (assuming there hasn't been one yet)

retrorussell

I was finally able to try out the composite cable today and the picture and sound is way better. Definitely the way to play. I might try the s-video mod down the road, but I'm pretty satisfied now. I'm going to try and give D&D Eye of the Beholder and Snatcher a go tomorrow. Game Sack had a pretty good episode on the Sega CD I'll have to rewatch too.

If you have a television set with component inputs, buy a HD Retrovision component cable for your Genesis. No modding required and the picture will look even better than S-Video. :)

• Like 3

If you have a television set with component inputs, buy a HD Retrovision component cable for your Genesis. No modding required and the picture will look even better than S-Video. :)

That's actually right up my alley. I see they have a Sega Saturn adapter that works with it. Unfortunately my moody car just acted up again yesterday when I thought it was fixed for good, otherwise I'd be all over those.

This is what I'm doing when they are back in stock. Also getting SNES ones and I already have a component nodded N64. Then I just need a good component switch box.

All the cutscenes for THE ADVENTURES OF BATMAN & ROBIN:

The rather dull BILL WALSH COLLEGE FOOTBALL:

EARTHWORM JIM SPECIAL EDITION-- one new level from the original game, plus extended levels:

The great shooter LORDS OF THUNDER:

The weird quiz game QUIZ SCRAMBLE SPECIAL:

I just beat Jurassic Park. Also viewed the secret Rex vs Trike scene. Beating the game is not difficult when you know what to do, and only takes an hour or so. Make sure you pick up all the rocks, and put the Rex CD into the slot outside of Muldoon door to get infinite gas canisters. Makes the raptor caves and final shootout much easier.

Now I'm playing NHL 94.

• Like 3

I just beat Jurassic Park. Also viewed the secret Rex vs Trike scene. Beating the game is not difficult when you know what to do, and only takes an hour or so. Make sure you pick up all the rocks, and put the Rex CD into the slot outside of Muldoon door to get infinite gas canisters. Makes the raptor caves and final shootout much easier.

How did you enjoy it? Game reminded me of Mansion of Hidden Souls (which I liked) but I never put much time into it.

I have played it before, in fact I bought it new in 1993 or 94. But have not really played it this thoroughly for 20 years. I like it. It could have been better, but it's close to what I expected, a point click adventure JP game. I have the benefit now of knowing how to beat the puzzles. Bitd, I got frustrated at dying and having to reload the game and tediously journey to the location and try something else, only to die again. But when you know what to do, the puzzles aren't that difficult, so I really enjoyed this week's play through. I found the Emily actress cuter than ever, too.

I tried these 2 Homebrews yesterday. Dont know how to burn Sega CDs so played them via Kega Fusion which seems like a pretty good Sega CD emulator so far.

First Invasion

post-39068-0-13193900-1508740468_thumb.png

A decent clone of Space Invaders but not without its flaws. Still fun to play but nothing to get too overly excited to play much.

Game & Watch: Octopus

post-39068-0-29947300-1508740590_thumb.png

A port of one of the old handheld LED games. Very nice presentation and pretty addicting :) the sound while I know the were mimicing the originals are slightly annoying but I really like this one. Wouldnt mind finding a way to get it on CD so I could play on my actual Sega CD

Man, those load times on Monkey Island are unbearable. I also remember giving Willy Beamish a try a few years back and running into the same thing there. Couldn't be bothered to play more than 20 minutes of it. Half of it was watching a stuck screen from loading.

I can't imagine this was even tolerable back when these games were new. I'll have to track down some reviews from back then to see if anything is mentioned about the loading.

• Like 1

Man, those load times ... are unbearable... I can't imagine this was even tolerable back when these games were new. I'll have to track down some reviews from back then to see if anything is mentioned about the loading.

You'll likely find constant negative remarks about Sega CD load times, but I think the load times are MORE bearable now, because all systems since then have had varying degrees of load times. We are more used to load times now. Back in the days of cartridges, it drove us nuts! But even some of my X360 games take almost a minute before I can actually get to the title screen / then start playing. Even Blu-rays ... you have to load, skip through the advertised previews, press start ... it's stupid!

You'll likely find constant negative remarks about Sega CD load times, but I think the load times are MORE bearable now, because all systems since then have had varying degrees of load times. We are more used to load times now. Back in the days of cartridges, it drove us nuts! But even some of my X360 games take almost a minute before I can actually get to the title screen / then start playing. Even Blu-rays ... you have to load, skip through the advertised previews, press start ... it's stupid!

As someone that has spent a lot of time with the add-on (as well as pretty much every other CD console ever made), I think the negative stigma attached to the Sega CD regarding long load times has mostly been unwarranted, particularly when comparing to later CD-based consoles or even modern systems today. There are a few legitimate exceptions (like with Monkey Island and Willy Beamish taking absolutely forever to load), but for the most part the load times are pretty reasonable.

More SEGA CD/MEGA CD clips!

STAR WARS CHESS-- Rebel victory scenes:

Very silly game of chess with goofy victory scenes of the Rebel Alliance pieces fighting the Sith/Dark Side pieces.

SUPREME WARIIOR

Yet another Digital Pictures game, this is actually a vs. beat-em-up with FMV scenes. Think STREET FIGHTER meets PRIZE FIGHTER. Pass.

SEIMA DENSETSU: 3X3 EYES opening:

Based on a manga.

• Like 1

Now I'm playing NHL 94.

There's one game where the subtle features introduced by the Sega CD make a big improvement. I really like the opening sequence, the 90s ESPN sounding menu music, the video gallery, and the narrations. I think the best feature is the real crowd noise, organ music, and improved sound effects during gameplay. It's remarkably atmospheric and does a great job immersing me in the game.

• Like 2

There's one game where the subtle features introduced by the Sega CD make a big improvement. I really like the opening sequence, the 90s ESPN sounding menu music, the video gallery, and the narrations. I think the best feature is the real crowd noise, organ music, and improved sound effects during gameplay. It's remarkably atmospheric and does a great job immersing me in the game.

Yes, nice way to describe NHL94 CD. The music and sound FX are very good quality. The organ tunes after a goal really pump me up, in particular. I only wish there was a regular season mode with saving.

• Like 1

Yes, nice way to describe NHL94 CD. The music and sound FX are very good quality. The organ tunes after a goal really pump me up, in particular. I only wish there was a regular season mode with saving.

I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE. I was so bummed there was no regular season mode as well. That's what I loved about NHL '96 for the Genesis when I got it.. endless fun with 2-player teammates trying to fire one-timers into the opponent net. My brother and I would high-five whenever we were successful. Good times.. plus, you could put in lots of letters for your name (which in my case was always dirty).

Some gameplay of NHL '94, with my Devils winning!

• Like 1

Some of DUNE:

ESPN NBA HANGTIME (boy does this look terrible):

FATAL FURY SPECIAL (well done graphically but many sounds are missing, including announcer voice), plus some long load times-- but you do get Ryo as a playable character right off the bat:

Both Fatal Fury Special and the Samurai Shodown ports were developed by Funcom, who were a Scandinavian developer. It's a really strange choice for SNK to hand those tasks over to them, and the ports suffer for it. FFS has an embarassing lack of background detail and character animation. The MD cartridge port of Fatal Fury 2 has it beat in both regards. SS is just ok for what it is, but it has no advantages over the MD cartridge from Takara. Not the kind of game that should have been put out on the Sega CD. Sega should really have forced some standards for games on the platform. As much as I love the Sega CD, it's pile of squandered opportunities. If you're going to release a $300 add on, then make sure you have the kind of games that grab people's attention and make them want to upgrade. I think NEC did a much better job with their CD add on, but that much less of step up from the base system than the Sega CD was for the MD.

Edited by zetastrike
  • Like 1