IGNORED

Seedi - yet another emulation box, perhaps good enough?

Keatah

CD based systems that I can think of off hand that I don't already have:

Turbografx CD

Jaguar CD

Sega CD

3DO

CD-i

Out of those systems, there's probably less than twenty five games total that I'd want to play. That number of games just doesn't justify the cost of buying all those systems. Now, that doesn't mean I don't still want them, as collecting doesn't always have to be rational and logical, but I'm not getting any of them any time soon. This would be a cheaper alternative, if it works as promised and on the above systems. I think the Jaguar would be the least likely to work well because of the controller (keypad/overlay/whatever) and the fact that Jag emulation is still pretty sketchy. I don't know what emulation for Sega CD, 3DO, or CD-i is like, but I've successfully emulated Turbografx CD games, so that should be fine.

Anyway, I won't be buying one, but I do find it interesting.

Hey guys...so the creators of the Seedi were nice enough to sent me their prototype unit for a preview video, which I will shoot this weekend. Any specific questions you have about, let me know!

IMG_0225-min.jpg

Also... everybody seems to miss that this also supports MS-DOS games! Pretty cool if you ask me...

• Like 2

While it's a niche question in the scheme of things, what version of Emulator Stella (VCS) is this running?

What's the build quality?

Is the assumption that roms can be played from SD card correct?

How about updates? And side-loading our own emulators?

What's the mainboard/SoC they're using?

I'm (correctly?) assuming that it will play nice with a USB PC keyboard for DosBox.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Can you slap in a DOS CD and run games from disk? What is the file structure like -- could someone make a bootable disk containing hundreds of games?

I don't think the team has the skill necessary to make it perfectly turn-key. There's gonna be some setup for each game, and you'll be exposed to some PC'ness. Running setup.exe, copying files.. that sort of thing.

Making a bootable disk of hundreds of games. Sure It's possible I guess. But I don't think it has been done yet. Don't a lot of PC games like fast hard disk access and the ability to write config files, progress & save states, hi-scores..? Or simply be "installed" in some fashion?

Some of my fav DOS games take only a couple of MB, so space isn't a concern though.

Well, I never knew that a "PI" that looked like that existed. I meant it looked kinda like my old 2011 era model B my Grandpa sent me... well, 6 years ago.

EDIT: Well, lets buy one, take it apart, copy whatever software they have, buy the extra hardware, then sell it for 1/2 price on flEABY!

Edited by TheTIGuy

Geez these guys actually sound competent. I'm scared. :) Definitely don't sound like idiot marketing bobble heads with fake shots and more fake promises with lots of fake news about their garbage -- retrobit, retroblox, chameleon, etc.

I'm actually slightly interested in this now depending what all it can play, how it handles it and how it all turns out in the end. I do wonder how the DOS stuff would work and if DOS works could you run Win3.11 in DOS to say fire up the original Sid Meier's Civilization for Windows or something of the sort from that time.

• Like 3

Well Windows 3.1 works in DosBox. I was doing Word, Nanotank, MS-PaintBrush, Chessmaster 4000, and Lander on it. So if they know what they're doing and set DosBox up for you correctly it should be fine. I had the midi music going and S3 graphics in hi-color and true-color in 800x600 and 1024x768. Or even plain old 256 color. In windowed or full screen mode. I had it all set pretty close to my 486 DX2/50's speed. It will go much faster. You can get SSD-style performance on Win 3.1 if so desired. Win 3.1 proggies are so small they fit entirely within the caches of modern system's components.

Don't know the finer points of those off-the-wall Linux and Android builds though. I'm strictly a self-proclaimed Dos/Windows/NTFS/FAT expert.

post-4806-0-16362100-1507312317_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-05797100-1507312338_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-25921700-1507312320_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-69984500-1507312315_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-25519900-1507312324_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-16517200-1507312321_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-89937700-1507312322_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-34554100-1507312330_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-74803000-1507312334_thumb.png

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I don't know, was it? And if so, is it a bad board - meaning it's just-powerful-enough - to get the job done?

It is important to have extra cpu cycles available when doing emulation. You always want some head room. When I build an emulation rig I always push the best cpu possible. This way, when the inevitable update comes to any one emulator, the system is ready. For advanced emulation and a premium experience, i7's aren't overkill.

---

Not saying you need an i7 to run Win 3.1 in DosBox. Any old 2GHz modern processor will make short work of it.

Edited by Keatah

Hey guys...so the creators of the Seedi were nice enough to sent me their prototype unit for a preview video, which I will shoot this weekend. Any specific questions you have about, let me know!

IMG_0225-min.jpg

Also... everybody seems to miss that this also supports MS-DOS games! Pretty cool if you ask me...

Id like to know if it plays cd copies (burns) as well as originals. Specifically, could you test a burned copy of Rondo of Blood for PC Engine? I think it would be great if it played burns for two reasons. One, you could play some of your rare games without worrying about scratching them. Two, you could try out rare games or imports that you dont yet own.

I realize many of the emulator boxes let you play isos of cd games, but there is something about popping a cd in and having it spin while you are playing it!

Edited by Noah98