HDTV1080P

Atari 5200 HDMI, Component Video, S-Video and video upgrade comments

The plug in version does simply it yes. But keep in mind that on the 5200 you still have to attach the 4050 buffer IC in the circuit somewhere. Or at least I always have to. If you don't do some trim and rework on the UAV and just get it as it comes populated, then you won't really be able to attach the top RF shield back onto the system afterwards. I basically order the kit unpopulated. Use my own wire leads for the jumper connections and then mount the 4050 on the top pins that are used to seat into the 4050's socket on the mainboard.

• Like 1

The plug in version does simply it yes. But keep in mind that on the 5200 you still have to attach the 4050 buffer IC in the circuit somewhere. Or at least I always have to. If you don't do some trim and rework on the UAV and just get it as it comes populated, then you won't really be able to attach the top RF shield back onto the system afterwards. I basically order the kit unpopulated. Use my own wire leads for the jumper connections and then mount the 4050 on the top pins that are used to seat into the 4050's socket on the mainboard.

Thanks, I hope there is a diagram/directions someplace on how to wire/install it...

I'll order it on Friday

I believe MacRorie provides a set of instructions when you purchase the UAV from his site now. There is also Bryan's original blog which, is what I used when I did mine. Audio isn't covered but there are a number of ways to do that.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/695/entry-14462-install-uav-ac-in-the-5200/

• Like 1

I installed this one that the Brewing Academy now sells and he does ship with instructions and provides a link to softcopy from the site linked below One thing about the kit version I received, the screw in terminals were installed on the bottom side of the board which is opposite of the pictures I saw in the UAV thread. This prevented me from installing directly over the 4050IC using the socket included. I had to use another socket (lucky to have another on hand) to get it high enough to prevent it from hitting the chip just north of the 4050 (can't recall which it is offhand). I didn't really have the desire to go through de-soldering and re-installing that.

Manual Link if you want to take a look: http://tinyurl.com/yyq25uvz

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm sure I will have more questions when I get it. Thanks for all the advice. The audio will be a must but, maybe I can figure out from the docs..

I'm getting closer to my goal... only about 4-5 consoles left mod :)

I installed this one that the Brewing Academy now sells and he does ship with instructions and provides a link to softcopy from the site linked below One thing about the kit version I received, the screw in terminals were installed on the bottom side of the board which is opposite of the pictures I saw in the UAV thread. This prevented me from installing directly over the 4050IC using the socket included. I had to use another socket (lucky to have another on hand) to get it high enough to prevent it from hitting the chip just north of the 4050 (can't recall which it is offhand). I didn't really have the desire to go through de-soldering and re-installing that.

Manual Link if you want to take a look: http://tinyurl.com/yyq25uvz

This is why I but the kit version that is unassembled. I then just use small leads to create the jumper points directly. I solder on the socket pins to the bottom so it can be plugged into the 4050 socket and then solder the 4050 ontop of the pins on the top side of the UAV. So yeah...I basically rebuilt how it is laid out but then I'm also able to easily put the terminal block on the top again etc.

This is why I but the kit version that is unassembled. I then just use small leads to create the jumper points directly. I solder on the socket pins to the bottom so it can be plugged into the 4050 socket and then solder the 4050 ontop of the pins on the top side of the UAV. So yeah...I basically rebuilt how it is laid out but then I'm also able to easily put the terminal block on the top again etc.

Ah yeah, that sounds like a good way to do it. Also, reading my previous comment sounds like I wasn't happy with it, Couldn't be further from the truth, the mod is great! The thing I really like about the UAV over previous video mods I've used is the ability to set the artifact colors and get those dialed in right.

Ah yeah, that sounds like a good way to do it. Also, reading my previous comment sounds like I wasn't happy with it, Couldn't be further from the truth, the mod is great! The thing I really like about the UAV over previous video mods I've used is the ability to set the artifact colors and get those dialed in right.

Yes that is a cool feature but it doesn't do much on the 7800 side. Although I've since learned in looking at the Brewing Academy docs that there is a jumper to invert the artifacting? But it isn't listed where this is on the UAV? I'd be curious if that has any results in correcting the odd composite coloring you get on 7800 games that use artifacting like Tower Toppler.

Also, I think MacRorie installs the terminal block on the bottom so that you can easily see what connection is what as that is only marked on the top of the UAV. The green terminal block ...blocks those markings so you have to know what goes where in that case. I've got it memorized as this point after so many installs but not everyone would.

Yes that is a cool feature but it doesn't do much on the 7800 side. Although I've since learned in looking at the Brewing Academy docs that there is a jumper to invert the artifacting? But it isn't listed where this is on the UAV? I'd be curious if that has any results in correcting the odd composite coloring you get on 7800 games that use artifacting like Tower Toppler.

Also, I think MacRorie installs the terminal block on the bottom so that you can easily see what connection is what as that is only marked on the top of the UAV. The green terminal block ...blocks those markings so you have to know what goes where in that case. I've got it memorized as this point after so many installs but not everyone would.

Yes, there is a jumper, in fact I'm pretty sure I had to invert it to get it right for the 5200, or at least I experimented with it. I'd have to go back and look, maybe I found which one it was from one of the threads here, been a while, just can't quite recall.