IGNORED

Do you research a game before buying?

Harrison

Obsessively. :lol: I keep big lists of all the well reviewed and critically praised games for every system I'm interested in and tend not to buy games with poor reviews unless there is some aspect of the game that is interesting enough to me personally to warrant playing it even though I know it probably won't be very good. In any case, every game I own is a game that I enjoy playing; and if I buy something that I decide I don't care for after playing it then it always gets resold before too long. I keep a well curated collection. :)

• Like 1

Both- BITD, I had a subscription to Electronic Games magazine, so I discovered great games from reading reviews that I may have otherwise ignored. But I also made bargain bin impulse buys.

Today with modern game- I take both reviews and player feedback into account as well as my gut feeling.

I've found many 9/10+ games that I just don't like, while many games I do like score much lower. Also being on sale helps, but I only buy games on sale if I was interested in them in the first place.

Edited by zzip

A little bit. I find if I research too much I get caught up in other people's opinions and bias, and if I have download the ROM and play it via emulation then there is less motivation to have the actual cart. So I'll typically skim some reviews and then make a yes or no decision on purchasing. I like to work under "native era" conditions when it comes to buying classic games. I don't mind risking my gaming dollar on homebrew games because I know they were made with some degree of care and love.

For modern games, oh Hell yes. I'd prefer to borrow the game from a friend for 20+ hours before I blow $60+ on modern crap. There is so little out there in the modern lot that is worth the price point that there is no way I'd risk my gaming dollar there.

I tend to research almost everything before I buy it. I think the main reason is that I don't have much, if any, disposable income. When I decide I might be interested in buying something, I watch videos reviews repeatedly and read about any possible QC issues, etc. Recently, anything over $20 has been out of my price range, so I haven't bought anything over that. Most of the time, when it comes to hobbies and collectables, I find that after watching video reviews over and over, sometimes I get over the urge of wanting a certain item. :)

Yes. With homebrews, I've usually been following the development here in the forums, so by the time a game is released I have a pretty good idea whether or not it's something I want to buy.

As far as collecting older games, I've played pretty much everything in Stella by this point. I'm willing to pay a little more for a rare game I know I like and will play. If it's one that's going to end up sitting on the shelf, I wait for a good deal on it.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

When I was buying new games, there wasn't really any way to research them other than demos in the store or if I met someone who already had it. So I mostly read the back of the box and bought it, or didn't. Back then, there weren't really that many options anyway. GCE made Vectrex games and Coleco made Colecovision games.

Once games started appearing at flea markets because people no longer wanted them, that's when I really started "collecting", and I only bought games if they were dirt cheap and if I didn't already have one. This was great fun with Atari games, and then a few years later with NES and Genesis games, since I was always running into something I'd never heard of. Also, because I was in the silicon valley area, I occasionally saw things pop up from developers and distributors in the area that were interesting.

More research occurred towards the end of my collecting phase, when I started paying a little more to complete holes in my collection, but that pretty much stopped once I realized I already had PLENTY of games to try out well into future (for decades, probably) and it became clear that those "holes" weren't really important to me.

These days, I spend a lot of time researching games, but it's more part of learning about games I've got already or history and anecdotes about historical times and events I'm familiar with. I've been putting much more of my attention into offloading some of the useless crap I acquired during the unfocused acquisition phase.

I'm really not buying much except a few DS and GBA carts from the bargain bins...I skip the obvious mee-too platformers, and the sports games and RPGs I've always hated. The game store guy can usually give me a quick rundown of anything I have an interest in.

I am a big risk taker when it comes to game so long as the price tag is not astronomical. I mean would you go in and buy a game for $300 that you had no knowledge of? Probably not but I love cool stuff like mystery carts. I have quite a few mystery ones for the 2600,7800 and even NES. Sometimes its worth the gamble on getting something amazing. Too bad 9 times out of 10 the NES carts are all Mario sadly. I did get a cool Ghostbuster genny game though that was totally unlabeled for a buck. And to me that's worth it.

Sames goes with games I may not know anything of but sit in the dollar bin. If its not just a Madden game or Nascar I might be tempted to snag it to see if its any fun.

Edited by Professor Gull