IGNORED

600XL U1MB installation

Luigi301

Those look like they are quite reasonably priced. I've wanted new chip programmer for a long time, but the last time I looked into it they were rather expensive. The only programmer I have now, in a PROM programming card for an Apple II. It's good enough for retro game cartridge programming, but I haven't used it in a long time because it's hard to get files into the Apple to program chips with.

I have never seen such big disc caps in XLs or in fact any A8 before. Looks like a bad job done by someone later on. For what reason beats me, ceramic caps don't die over time....at least it is very very very unlikely, the ones I have seen gone bad were caused by transistors shorting out. This feels like somebody thought he needed a "cap kit" job but didn't understand this is about electrolytic caps only....

• Like 1

I wished Lotarek used the same connectors as are used on SOPHIA. Nice and low profile while still detachable.

I heard I need to order a new U1MB yesterday and Im going to ask if Lotharek can provide one without any connectors on the PCB....

Please don't give him any ideas that will prevent the U1MB from working in a 1088XEL ;) . We're still trying get him to install 0.1" pitch vertical headers in place of the right angle ones he has been using.

- Michael

• Like 2

Exactly. I've yet to find a scenario in which the U1MB would not fit in the Atari using the original box IDC housings, providing attention is paid to mounting the board at the correct height and in the appropriate spot. The most I've ever had to do is file off a corner of the cable strain relief clip, and this goes for 600XLs, 800XLs, 1200XLs, 130XEs and XEGSs. Sometimes the nylon standoffs need shortening, but that's no biggie.

• Like 2

I have a 600XL as well, I did the mod to 64 KB myself and afterwards mounted the U1MB myself too, which has been working flawlessly ever since. I've left the modulator in my 600XL and I put some very strong double sided tape on the modulator and mounted the U1MB on top of the modulator (the double sided tape provides excellent insulation) and I did use the ribbon cables provided in the box. I soldered the 4 wires straight to the CPU as I have a brand new 6502C laying around. I could post some pictures of the build in my 600XL if people are interested.

• Like 1

I have never seen such big disc caps in XLs or in fact any A8 before. Looks like a bad job done by someone later on. For what reason beats me, ceramic caps don't die over time....at least it is very very very unlikely, the ones I have seen gone bad were caused by transistors shorting out. This feels like somebody thought he needed a "cap kit" job but didn't understand this is about electrolytic caps only....

I've these are original caps, I have quite a few XL's and some of them have the axial lead caps that it looks like the board was laid out for, but some of them use the disk caps that don't really fit right. This 600Xl was never worked on until I put in the Super Video 2.1 and 64K upgrades.

Please don't give him any ideas that will prevent the U1MB from working in a 1088XEL ;) . We're still trying get him to install 0.1" pitch vertical headers in place of the right angle ones he has been using.

- Michael

Well, I don't want to discourage you, but this was his reply when Iasked if he would sell me a U1MB without the connectors....:

Sorry, cannot help

All ultimates are already ready , tested and packed

Edited by Level42

I have a 600XL as well, I did the mod to 64 KB myself and afterwards mounted the U1MB myself too, which has been working flawlessly ever since.

I think that this is exactly what I'd like to do. My only A8 right now is the same 800XL that I've owned since 1984 and I worry that I will completely screw something up if I start trying to tinker with it. What I need to do is get a 600XL and add some memory upgrades to it. I'd like to add an "APE Warp+ OS 32-in-1" too. That would probably make for the best of all worlds.

I think that this is exactly what I'd like to do. My only A8 right now is the same 800XL that I've owned since 1984 and I worry that I will completely screw something up if I start trying to tinker with it.

I also own an 800XL which is in a very nice condition, I dont want to screw it up, so I got a 600XL for cheap. Had to make a long drive to get it, but hey I wanted a 600XL to do some mods. I was lucky, everything is in sockets. It was in a very bad condition but it was working. After some good cleaning, some resoldering of dry joints on the keyboard connector its very nice now.

Edited by redhawk668
  • Like 1

I hate you guys !

Treating my beloved 600XL as if it is some trash that can be screwed up and the 800XL is "king" and should be "safe"....Yugh.....you guys don't know what beauty is !!!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

But think about it.....after all those upgrades work fine in your 600XL.....will you ever be using your stock 800XL again ? ......... :D

Edited by Level42

Don't take it as any sort of disrespect towards the 600XL at all. I think that it will be great to have an ultra powerful A8 packed into the 600XL's sleek footprint. I just love my 800XL because it's mine and it always has been mine and it is the only A8 that I own at the moment, so I don't want to mess with it. If I do get an Ultra 600XL at some point, though, that will surely become my primary machine and my 800XL will get safely packed up into storage.

• Like 1