IGNORED

Castle Wolfenstein Rarity?

ETWelty

Hi everyone. I acquired a Complete copy of Castle Wolfenstein for 400/800/1200xl computers earlier today and was wondering if anyone can help me figure out a value or rarity in it as I had trouble looking it up. I have not tested it as I don't know if my 810 is working properly and I'm not 100% sure how to use it (new to the 8-bit family). Thanks in advance for any help and I can post images if anyone would like

Nowadays packaging is often more important to collectors than the game media itself, as most of us play A8 titles on some sort of flash drive (or internal hard drive system); a non-working floppy isnt necessarily a deal-breaker. That being said, Wolfenstein was a popular game and isnt generally considered a rare item. While there really arent any comprehensive rarity lists for disk releases (unlike carts), Id rank it CIB today as uncommon. You can try the Marketplace forum, but I dont see it going for more than $25...if the game runs. Youd likely get more on eBay.

I've had a saved search on ebay for a while and this is the first one to come up in a while. But I think the price is all about the shrink wrapped box. I don't think an open CIB or incomplete would go for nearly as much.

I've had a saved search on ebay for a while and this is the first one to come up in a while. But I think the price is all about the shrink wrapped box. I don't think an open CIB or incomplete would go for nearly as much.

I definitely agree that it's not to that value point, but I've had others give random values as well. The version I got though has no information about playing on the commodore like most appear to have, just the Atari sticker and no evidence that there were other stickers. I'll try to post a picture later in the day when I can.

I definitely agree that it's not to that value point, but I've had others give random values as well. The version I got though has no information about playing on the commodore like most appear to have, just the Atari sticker and no evidence that there were other stickers. I'll try to post a picture later in the day when I can.

The surest way to figure out it's value is to put it up on Ebay.

• Like 1

Finally managed to get around to getting those pictures. Sadly the registration card is filled out, but it adds more to the story in my opinion. It also still has the seal on the box, but it was open when I bought it. I'm starting to believe it is an earlier run of the game as most of the few I saw boxed have Commodore 64 mentioned, along with another sticker towards the top, while this one does not. (The box appears to be much more yellow than it is in real life).Thanks for everyone's opinions! (Don't know why the pictures rotated, sorry for any inconvenience).

post-48405-0-06923700-1508542476_thumb.jpg

post-48405-0-06277600-1508542487_thumb.jpg

post-48405-0-83964700-1508542495_thumb.jpg

post-48405-0-71593000-1508542504_thumb.jpg

lol ebay also has Popsicle sticks that are rare and priced through the roof..... but this has become academic..... Just cause someone puts a Falcon030 up for 6000.00 doesn't mean that's what it goes for, or it's worth. Wolfenstein for the 8 bit was popular and not rare.... we all bought it around hear, after either seeing it at a meeting or each others house... Hell my cheap as cheap could be pal who had a pirated copy even went out and bought it because it was pretty cool game at the time.

Just take offers for it here at atari age through pm's... you'll get a fair price and more than likely, everyone will be happy! You'll get a fair bargain all around...both buyer and seller!

Edited by _The Doctor__

Value for used items is determined by what people are willing to pay for them and nothing else. Availability of desireable merchandise has more to do with what a current going rate for an item will be, rather than how many were sold BITD. If nobody wants to sell their copies, it becomes rare, even if it's for a short period of time. Also, when you're talking about sealed copies, people didn't buy games BITD and put them on shelves for 35 years. So availability of sealed copies may not directly coincide with high numbers sold, at all. And, the difference in cost between sealed and non-sealed copies may be huge if sealed copies are scarece enough and desireable enough -- and additionally, sealed copies that don't look like pancakes.

There are many factors -- personal and external -- that can affect a buyer's willingness to pay a high dollar value for a particular item too. Without knowing all these factors, you have no way of determining whether it was a sane purchase price for that buyer or not.

I lucked out and found a CIB Castle Wolfenstein and a CIB Beyond Castle Wolfenstein for $1.99 each on ebay 6 years ago :)

They both had the Atari and C64 flippies...

I've sniped a lot of great deals on Ebay too, like a mint CIB Into the Eagles Nest for $4.99. :) Looked like it had never been used.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1