IGNORED

Which system had the better Library 3DO or Sega Saturn? (No imports)

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which has the better library (No imports)

• 3DO
    • Sega Saturn

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

That's happened a few times already if you look back.

Anyway, I always found it interesting the 3DO to my knowledge never had a 3D fighter and the Jaguar did although from what we know of the two the 3DO was more capable of doing that.

But, in the U.S. at least, outside of Mortal Kombat and Tekken I don't think there were any other major 3D fighters until Soul Calibur Dreamcast.

But, in the U.S. at least, outside of Mortal Kombat and Tekken I don't think there were any other major 3D fighters until Soul Calibur Dreamcast.

1. Mortal Kombat was 2D

2. Battle Arena Toshinden? Virtua Fighter? Soul Edge/Blade?

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 3

I don't even want to know what you would consider "major." Serious question: how old were you in 1995?

1. Mortal Kombat was 2D

2. Battle Arena Toshinden? Virtua Fighter? Soul Edge/Blade?

Virtua Fighter was out in arcades in 1994, and on Saturn in early 1995, with Remix out by the fall. That's a major 3D fighting game and was exclusive to Sega.

Also out in 1995 were Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden, and Zero Divide on Playstation in the US. 1996 brought Criticom, Toshinden 2, Tekken 2, and Star Gladiator. 1997 brought Soul Blade, Toshinden 3, Bushido Blade, Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, Bloody Roar, Fighting Force, and Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi. Any of these had more sales and fans than anything on 3DO (ever), and all predate Soul Calibur which didn't come to the US until fall of 1999.

I'm done replying to you, because it seems like you get off on argument rather than discussion. Plonk!

Uh in the U.S. the only major 3D fighters before Dreamcast SC (I suppose you can count early hype for 3tb) were Mortsl Kombat 4 and Tekken. Battle arena and Saturn fighter were a blip in sales it's like there's revisionist history here.

I think there might be one more 3 D fighting game I forgot but it was primarily MK and Tekken all the N64 fighters were generally flops. Not sure how that's debatable.

Looking at flojos post you would think Fighting Vipers was a popular selling fighting game in NA. Uh.. no?

The point was that I found it strange that the Jaguar got a 3D fighter (2?) While the 3 DO that's arguably more capable didn't. Well there's Ball but eh...

Uh in the U.S. the only major 3D fighters before Dreamcast SC (I suppose you can count early hype for 3tb) were Mortsl Kombat 4 and Tekken. Battle arena and Saturn fighter were a blip in sales it's like there's revisionist history here.

I think there might be one more 3 D fighting game I forgot but it was primarily MK and Tekken all the N64 fighters were generally flops. Not sure how that's debatable.

Looking at flojos post you would think Fighting Vipers was a popular selling fighting game in NA. Uh.. no?

The point was that I found it strange that the Jaguar got a 3D fighter (2?) While the 3 DO that's arguably more capable didn't. Well there's Ball but eh...

If sales numbers are your measure of legitmacy, then the 3DO doesn't have any games that count.

Here are some certified hit 3D fighters for Playstation which received Greatest Hits reprints:

Toshinden

Digimon Rumble Arena

Soul Blade

Mortal Kombat 4

Tekken

Tekken 2

Tekken 3

X-Men Mutant Academy

Obviously other 3D fighters for Playstation sold well and/or had an impact. Street Fighter EX and the 3D Star Wars fighter were a big deal when they came out.

The measure of success of Saturn 3D fighters should be proportionate to the install base. Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix sold well for sure and Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers and VR Remix were obviously major releases.

• Like 2

No they were not. Look at the npd list they were not even major hits for the system. Launch hype is at best all they had. Can't even hit 250k for a lot of them with the promotions. It was as shown, is NA, Tekken, MK4, and Soul Blade.

As for Saturn and N64 the fighters on those systems adjusted for install base don't change the picture for NA sales at all.

But again the point wasn't Fighters in NA, it's that the 3DO basically none, outside maybe Ball, while the Jaguar, a weaker console might have had two. Maybe the 3DO 3D wasn't suited for 3D fighters.

Edited by JaguarVision

3D fighters weren't my interest then and only became a small part of my library at best, but VF2 is a tough one to count towards sales as it was part of a 1-cent pack bundle available w/purchase of a Saturn V2. If you bought a system at the $199.99 price, you could opt to add on a game 3-pack for a penny consisting of Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA.

I did get the add on pack, but maybe played VF2 about 10min in my lifetime, lol.

Edited by zylon

The Neo Geo was a big red monolith in every arcade, pizza joint, movie theater, etc.. Across the country. More folks had more encounters with the Neo Geo throughout their daily life than any had with the 3DO. Try again.

93% of the people who took your own poll think the Saturn had the better library. Also, what the hell is "yspped" and "butbutpite"? :?

Anecdotally speaking, I played Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury Special, and KoF 94 at my local Godfather's Pizza every time I went. I'm yet to ever lay eyes on anything but a picture of a 3DO.

The 3DO looked cool in EGM and all, but I don't know anybody personally who had one. Babbage's had a "wall" for it (where the walls were plentiful and the width of the wall was narrow) but I never saw one in person.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I read Black Tigers response to my response, and I had to laugh... I honestly did not read it the way you all did... I wrote..

"I also own a 3DO as well, but my opinion is Saturn is not a contender to 3DO and would be difficult to compare."

in my head I was trying to say......

"I also own a 3D0 as well, but in my opinion is Saturn is not a contender to the 3D0, as the Saturn is in a class of gaming by itself, and would be difficult to compare."

Amazing on what I typed and meant.. were so far away from each other.

Black Tiger your eyes are must be younger than my 45 year old ones... haha.. thanks for the point out!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have both. I wish the 3DO had more good titles on it. Some of the games really could benefit from a light gun. I could swear the light gun never came out for it but thought I saw one on Amazon before.

The Saturn had better graphics anyways a d a bunch of the games we're later ported to the Saturn as well so the Saturn was the sure winner for me in this one.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the biggest 3DO enthusiast I know. I still voted Saturn.

​3DO VS CD-i I say 3DO
3DO VS Jaguar /Jaguar CD I say 3DO
​3DO VS NeoGeo CD I say 3DO

​3DO VS 32X/SegaCD I say 3DO

3DO VS Amiga32 I say 3DO

​I'm all about that 3DO, but it doesn't compare to the proper 32bit generation at all.

• Like 2

I'm the biggest 3DO enthusiast I know. I still voted Saturn.

​3DO VS CD-i I say 3DO

3DO VS Jaguar /Jaguar CD I say 3DO

​3DO VS NeoGeo CD I say 3DO

​3DO VS 32X/SegaCD I say 3DO

3DO VS Amiga32 I say 3DO

​I'm all about that 3DO, but it doesn't compare to the proper 32bit generation at all.

I like this list here. When it gets to the Saturn then the Saturn wins in my book. Since plenty of the games were ported to the Saturn as well, which had better graphics anyways so the Saturn is superior to the 3DO as it also had games that were initially included on the 3DO as well.