IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

anyone know any specific spots or factories that produced the VCS? I know Atari, themselves, produced most of them from their factories in Sunnyvale :?: most likely.....but later in life what companies or factories did they contract out to? Any places around the U.S. or was it mostly in countries like Taiwan?

I have one 4-switch made in Taiwan by "Atari Wong Corp", a light 6-switch by "THW Electronic Components" in Taiwan, a 4-switch by "Taiwan William Computer Manufacturing", my original 4-switch made by "Wong's Electronics" in Hong Kong, and a Heavy 6er & 4-switch made in Sunnyvale, CA. Also I have a Sears 6-switch made by "Dimerco Electronics" in Taiwan. I have the hunch that the production went from The USA to Hong Kong and then to Taiwan. I know my Hong Kong 4-switch was bought in 1982-83.

anyone know any specific spots or factories that produced the VCS? I know Atari, themselves, produced most of them from their factories in Sunnyvale icon_question.gif most likely.....but later in life what companies or factories did they contract out to? Any places around the U.S. or was it mostly in countries like Taiwan?

Some Pal units were also produced in Ireland. Both my first console (a "junior" I received for christmas 1985) and a "vader" I recently bought on ebay says "MANUFACTURED FOR ATARI, INC., BY ATARI IRELAND, LTD., IN IRELAND."

SN 81607536

It's a Dimerco Taiwan unit.

Edit: to add details -> Board is REVB C010433 - Shred of paper taped inside is stamped Aug 13 1981. Date of manufacture? Or repair. I do not know.

Any chance of getting a pic of this unit? I like to have pics of the oddball stuff.

Thanks for posting Christophero Sly, that's the second Sears light sixer w/ an H6er style S/N. I wonder what the guts look like?

I didn't realize that one had been spotted before. I should have double-checked the list. :dunce:

There are even some Atari light-sixers on the list that have H6-format serial numbers. Very interesting.

Edited by Christophero Sly

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have a retarded system or something. It's a sixer, but not like any of the ones everyone else is putting up here.

The label says "Manufactured by Atari-Wong LTD, In Hong Kong

Model No. CX2600"

the serial # is 568438945.

A nine-digit serial... could it be a bootleg?

I think I have a retarded system or something. It's a sixer, but not like any of the ones everyone else is putting up here.

The label says "Manufactured by Atari-Wong LTD, In Hong Kong

Model No. CX2600"

the serial # is 568438945.

A nine-digit serial... could it be a bootleg?

Probably a regular six-switcher, and not a "heavy". Do you have any photographs?

If you can't post a photo, take a good look at post #123, especially the middle photo. Does yours look just like that?

Compare to post #68. Notice how different the edges of these two consoles are.

Post #123 shows a heavy sixer; post #68 shows a light sixer.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

It also came with what looks like a regular Atari joystick that has a large black ball on the tip. Is this official equipment?
i believe the black ball is a gem grip....i got two myself...

not sure how rare they are.

I have a couple of those grip balls too, I think mine have a different name on them though.

They're not made by Atari, not very rare, and were sold under at least 3 brand names. I got a dark blue pair in with an eBay lot, which have a band around the middle on which they are labeled as "Grabber" (I believe the original package called them "Grabber Balls"!) I think one of the other brands were made in red.

Edited by A.J. Franzman