IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

I recently picked one up from ebay for $20 bucks - console only. Looks like it was stored in someones' dirty, dank, dark, cold & humid basement in snow country. Auction said; "Very old Atari, little bit dusty :P, might work?" :ponder: Anyways I got it, and a grey power supply from another auction and used an "F" connector to hook it up to the TV and, WoW! it fired right up and works perfectly. I am amazed at the picture quality!, crystal clear, with vivid color! My two 7800s both have lots of snow. :( I owned a light sixer in the early eighties as a kid and this is the first one since then. Very glad I held out for a Sunnyvale 1977 Heavy Sixer! :D

S.N. - 70847F (no A/B switch hole) channel 3 video only.

post-9089-1202961614_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1202962173_thumb.jpg

Edited by ovalbugmann

I recently picked one up from ebay for $20 bucks - console only. Looks like it was stored in someones' dirty, dank, dark, cold & humid basement in snow country. Auction said; "Very old Atari, little bit dusty :P, might work?" :ponder: Anyways I got it, and a grey power supply from another auction and used an "F" connector to hook it up to the TV and, WoW! it fired right up and works perfectly. I am amazed at the picture quality!, crystal clear, with vivid color! My two 7800s both have lots of snow. :( I owned a light sixer in the early eighties as a kid and this is the first one since then. Very glad I held out for a Sunnyvale 1977 Heavy Sixer! :D

S.N. - 70847F (no A/B switch hole) channel 3 video only.

post-9089-1202961614_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1202962173_thumb.jpg

Sweet!

They only get prettier the more you look at them!

I'll post up my Sears heavy once I take the time to get pics.

Taking it apart made it much easier to clean!

Edited by Broonale

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Phil - I do like the Atari H6ers better because they are the original, I grew up with an Atari light sixer, it says Video Computer System and is all black, but I do like the woodgrain better on the H6er tele-games units, like a simulated knotted Rosewood or something.

Edited by ovalbugmann

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the props cosmosiss and Elw00d!

My grandmother bought this TV for me back in 1982 so I had something to play Atari on and I'm still using it to this day. I had her over recently was touched that I still use it daily. The TV still has a great picture and works very well so why bother upgrading?

When I say I'm "keeping it real" I really mean it. :)

I got a Heavy Sixer that has a channel select swith hole in the bottom. However, the board didn't have the actual switch.

Serial Number is 99968F

post-10944-1210207288_thumb.jpgpost-10944-1210207298_thumb.jpg

Also, I didn't know if we're noting the ones that have a box. If so then mine with number #20430F is boxed. I saw some people have indicated the revision number on the switch and mainboard. I'll have to take a look at mine now. :)

My Hevy Sixer's serial # is #446413, it has a channel "A" of channel "B" switch.

Mine only has one silver sticker that sais

"Manufactured by TRW for Atari".

From the description you give it seems more likely that your 2600 is a light sixer, any chance you could post a pic to verify what it is?

You are correct, it is a light sixer. I posted that when I did not know the difference.

I recently acquired another one. I noticed that the colors being displayed during game play are quite a bit off. For example with Frogger the frog is brown instead of green. Plus the backgrounds on each game are not correct. In Megamania your ship at the bottom is missing the middle portion of it. When switched to B & W you can see the entire ship. Also the enemy fire is so dim that's it's almost invisible.

Anyways, it's a Atari branded, Sunnyvale, CA model with a serial number of 29438G. It does not possess a slot for the channel 3/4 selector.

Sadly, it came with the later issue paddle controllers, one of which there is something rattling around inside, two gem sticks and a black Atari PSU. A couple nice things that did accompany it is a Sears Tele-Games Center, complete with lid, and six interlocking cartridge holders. Oddly enough I noticed that inside the "Game Center", instead of Atari and the Fuji symbol being embossed like my Atari branded one, it says instead Musicmate Record and Tape Accessories, ALS Industries, Torrance, California. The interlocking cart holders have the very same company marking on the back of them and are labeled as a Modular Tape Organizer. What is strange is that these module's are cube shaped, each holding four carts. They are very unlike the official Atari ones, of which I have two of, that were advertised in the various Atari catalogs. They each hold 14 carts and have a slot in the middle for the placement of instruction booklets. They are also made by ALS Industries.

I apologize for the rather poor quality of the photos below. My camera is obsolete, low budget and in desperate need of a new battery.

post-10357-1210627092_thumb.jpg post-10357-1210627111_thumb.jpg

post-10357-1210627125_thumb.jpg post-10357-1210627171_thumb.jpg

I recently acquired another one. I noticed that the colors being displayed during game play are quite a bit off. For example with Frogger the frog is brown instead of green. Plus the backgrounds on each game are not correct. In Megamania your ship at the bottom is missing the middle portion of it. When switched to B & W you can see the entire ship. Also the enemy fire is so dim that's it's almost invisible.
A simple color adjustment may be all that's needed. In the image below (ruthlessly looted from Darrel "SpiceWare" Spice Jr. as the first posted image I found of a sixer's guts), I've circled in yellow, the hole through which the adjustment can be made without opening the shielding.

post-6315-1210652833_thumb.jpg

In most instances, the pot accessible through this hole can be adjusted with a small straight-blade screwdriver, though it's possible there are other variations around which need a Philips tip, hex key, or other odd tool. Make this adjustment carefully (use a flashlight if needed to look into the hole) with the console hooked up and running your favorite colorful game. Frogger is a decent choice, as are Pitfall! and Pitfall II. If you're lucky enough to own a Testcart by Paul Slocum, an Atari Diagnostic Cartridge, Color Bar Generator, or other appropriate diagnostic test cartridge, use its color calibration screen according to instructions instead for best results. If the color flashes and jumps about wildly, or flickers alternately between black & white and colorful (but wrong colors) instead of changing smoothly as you turn the pot slightly, try powering off the console and twisting the pot back and forth several times then starting again. It is normal for the adjustment to be somewhat touchy -- by design, there is only a very small range of the pot in which the colors are even remotely close to correct. If turning the pot has an effect but you can not get stable, correct color, some possible reasons are: the pot is in need of cleaning or replacement, or has a cracked solder joint.

Edited by A.J. Franzman