IGNORED

Other Apple IIe Platinum upgrade ideas

AMenard

Hi,

I have an old, well they're all old now anyway :grin: , Apple IIe platinum that I want to "modernize" a bit. I have a Floppy Emu Deluxe on order and the machine came with a green monochrome monitor and a single floppy drive.

I was wondering if there are any other popular upgrades that I could fit into the machine. I'm already planning a rebuild/replacement of the PSU and a good recap job as well. Maybe something to hook it up to a modern LCD would be nice since that old green monitor has seen better days (it was a school surplus machine that I bought in 2009).

You can use a standard composite cable to hook it up to a modern LCD (Or any display, vintage or otherwise, with a composite input) in most cases. Some people have had trouble getting signal locks, but I've never had an issue in plugging any of my Apple II's into any of my modern (or vintage) displays.

You should also get on the CFFA3000 list.

• Like 1

Sound card, CPU accelerator, Apple composite color monitor (I prefer this to digital or VGA), ram upgrade & clock. With the Floppy Emu, I don't think you need a CFFA3000 since it basically does the same thing, but a bit slower I think. It also works with Mac's. Of course it doesn't hurt to have both, but most likely you will only use the CFFA3000 most of the time.

Edited by thorr

You can use a standard composite cable to hook it up to a modern LCD (Or any display, vintage or otherwise, with a composite input) in most cases. Some people have had trouble getting signal locks, but I've never had an issue in plugging any of my Apple II's into any of my modern (or vintage) displays.

You should also get on the CFFA3000 list.

I registered today for it

Sound card, CPU accelerator, Apple composite color monitor (I prefer this to digital or VGA), ram upgrade & clock. With the Floppy Emu, I don't think you need a CFFA3000 since it basically does the same thing, but a bit slower I think. It also works with Mac's. Of course it doesn't hurt to have both, but most likely you will only use the CFFA3000 most of the time.

Would an amiga 1084 do as a composite monitor?

Something like this for modernizing it?

Apple%20IIe%20Modernized.jpg

Apple IIe Platinum 25th week of 1993 production run (one of the last ones).

Upgraded Power Supply (in original case)

Microsoft Softcard Premium IIe

No Slot Clock

Uthernet II Network Interface

8Meg RAM Expansion

16Mhz Accelerator

Mockingboard CLone

CFFA 3000 card

Vtech Universal Disk COntroller card [with (1) 5.25" drive and (1) 3.5" drive connected]

VGA Monitor adapter card

Lid is laser cut for a clear window and controls for the CFFA 3000 and the 16Mhz Accelerator are mount in the lid.

Apple%20IIe%20LED%20changed%20to%20PINK%

Edited by c0op3r
  • Like 2

They're pretty much out of stock on everything...

Plamen (the owner of the site and creator of the items) is an awesome guy, if you message him and tell him what you are looking for and would like to buy he WILL make it for you. So dont be discourage by the outta stock.

• Like 1

What's the memory configuration on this? 512 or 1024? And would you happen to have any other of the A2heaven products? See. I'm looking to build a "Super //e" similar to c0op3r's but different. Instead of building in the control panels and indicators I'll be doing a breakout box as I have other additions. I don't want to over-clutter the lid, and I want everything modular and removable.

I finished modding and repackaging a Mountain Hardware Expansion Chassis to work with the Platinum. I'm currently testing it with hardware like the Apple Cat II, various math co-processor boards, 68K board, Mountain Music System, among others.

200 could be doable. But I also want to get the other items I need. Not 100% sure I'd want to just get some of it.

---

..so much for downsizing this winter!

Edited by Keatah

What's the memory configuration on this? 512 or 1024? And would you happen to have any other of the A2heaven products? See. I'm looking to build a "Super //e" similar to c0op3r's but different. Instead of building in the control panels and indicators I'll be doing a breakout box as I have other additions. I don't want to over-clutter the lid, and I want everything modular and removable.

I finished modding and repackaging a Mountain Hardware Expansion Chassis to work with the Platinum. I'm currently testing it with hardware like the Apple Cat II, various math co-processor boards, 68K board, Mountain Music System, among others.

200 could be doable. But I also want to get the other items I need. Not 100% sure I'd want to just get some of it.

---

..so much for downsizing this winter!

It's a 512k. The only other product I have any extra's of is the VGA adapter for the IIe.

Mine is in really great condition electronicaly, but the case has some scratches and a "C" designation made with a marker. I,ll try the magic eraser or backing soda method next as neither alcohol or windex worked on it. I'm not a big fan of retrobrighting, especially since winter is coming where i live and i don't get that much sun anymore.

But this is a work machine as I intend to code and experiment on it, just like i intend to do with my 800xl, 130xe and c128. So they're not museum pieces. In the end, I may try to find a matching color and spay paint the case (after a bit of sandind/filling on the scratches).

I've taken it apart yesterday for a good cleaning, it was dusty but in great shape. I've open the PSU and none of the caps were leaking or bulging and the voltage was within spec, but I do have a replacement on the way nonetheless. The keyboard was surprisingly clean needing only a bit of air to blow out the dust. The disc controler, mouse interface and ram/80col/language card where also cleaned and reseated. BTW does any db9 type mouse works with the IIe or does it have to be a specific model?

Today will be spen't transfering dsk images from the Apple Tosec archive to actual floppy via AdtPro, so I can start learning 6502 Assembler again. I've hooked up a video switchbox so I can switch between the green mono display that I'll be using for coding and the amiga 1084 that I'll use for games and running my homebrews. The Ataris and C128 benefit from a similar setup with a 19" LCD via an svideo upconverter and the same 1084 via a switchbox. My amiga 1000 use the 1084 nativelly of course.