IGNORED

Any chance for a retroarch/Libretro version of JzIntv?

IMBerzerk

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

Does the version of Jzintv in RG350M support custom controller mappings e.g. Jzintv hackfile?

Hi mr_me, this is the github of the jzintv port: https://github.com/kerheol/dingux-int

According to the readme file, it looks like a hackfile can be added. If I understand correctly, a hackfile can be made for each specific game, here is a copy/paste of the readme:

Welcome to Dingux Int - 1.0.0

Original Author of Jzintv

Joseph Zbiciak

Author of the Dingux, Wiz and GP2X port versions

Ludovic.Jacomme also known as Zx-81 (zx81.zx81@gmail.com)

1. INTRODUCTION
  ------------

Jzintv is an emulator of the Intellivision videogame system
  running on many systems such as Linux, Unix, Windows and MacOS.
  See http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/ for further informations.

Dingux-Int is a port on dingoo with Dingux os installed of the
  version 20051204 of Jzintv.

This package is under GPL Copyright, read COPYING file for
  more information about it.

2. INSTALLATION
  ------------

Unzip the zip file, and copy the content of the directory game to your
  SD memory.

For any comments or questions on this version, please visit
  http://zx81.zx81.free.fr or http://www.gp32x.com/

3. CONTROL
  ------------

In the Intellivision emulator window

Dingoo Intellivision

A KP1
  Y A-T
  X A-L
  B A-R
  Up D-N
  Down D-S
  Left D-W
  Right D-E
  LTrigger RESET
  RTrigger KPE

Press Select to enter in emulator main menu.
  Press Start open/close the On-Screen keyboard

In the main menu

R Trigger Reset the Intellivision console

Y Go Up directory
  X Valid
  B Valid
  A Go Back to the emulator window

The On-Screen Keyboard of "Danzel" and "Jeff Chen"

Use the stick to choose one of the 9 squares, and
  use A, B, X, Y to choose one of the 4 letters
  of the highlighted square.

Use LTrigger and RTrigger to see other 9 squares
  figures.

4. LOADING INTELLIVISION ROM FILES
  ------------

If you want to load rom image in your emulator, you have to put your rom file
  (with .zip, .rom, .int, .itv or .bin file extension) on your GP2X SD memory
  in the 'rom' directory.

Then, while inside Jzintv emulator, just press SELECT to enter in
  the emulator main menu, and then using the file selector choose one
  rom file to load in your emulator.

Back to the emulator window, the rom should stard automatically.

5. LOADING KEY MAPPING FILES
  ------------

For given games, the default keyboard mapping between GP2X Keys and
  Intellivision keys, is not suitable, and the game can't be played on Jzintv.

To overcome the issue, you can write your own mapping file. Using notepad for
  example you can edit a file with the .kbd extension and put it in the kbd
  directory.

For the exact syntax of those mapping files, have a look on sample files already
  presents in the kbd directory (default.kbd etc ...).

After writting such keyboard mapping file, you can load them using the main menu
  inside the emulator.

If the keyboard filename is the same as the rom filename (.zip etc ...)
  then when you load this rom, the corresponding keyboard file is automatically
  loaded !

You can now use the Keyboard menu and edit, load and save your
  keyboard mapping files inside the emulator. The Save option save the .kbd
  file in the kbd directory using the "Game Name" as filename. The game name
  is displayed on the right corner in the emulator menu.

6. COMPILATION
  ------------

It has been developped under Linux using gcc with Dingux SDK.
  To rebuild the homebrew run the Makefile in the src archive.

That's good news.  Try the following in a .kbd file for Night Stalker as a test.  I'm not sure which buttons are which so you might have to change the button numbers.  Also note you can't map buttons to an analog stick so the keypad has to be mapped to buttons or the dpad.

Map 0

JS0_BTN_02 PD0L_KP2 ; X

JS0_BTN_03 PD0L_KP4 ; Y

JS0_BTN_00 PD0L_KP6 ; A

JS0_BTN_01 PD0L_KP8 ; B

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2021 at 2:18 PM, Vindex said:

FreeIntv has several graphical problems, for example with DK arcade 1 and 2.

Just I've sent a patch for FreeIntv that corrects the graphic problems with D1K and D2K.

It took me several hours to analyze it but a write to STIC register 0x20 was noticed by the emulator correctly BUT it shouldn't be used when a frame starts because the indicator needed to be reset. So the next video frame was displayed instead of being a blank frame, causing the GRAM to be unavailable for graphics update, causing in turn the corrupted title screen graphics.

Also found an interesting bug in Tower of Doom, took me 3 days to find it. It uses the tiny bitmap map on the left as the source for displaying the room on the right. It generated blue blocks on the maze because it expected 8-bit data, but instead FreeIntv kept data on GRAM as 16-bit.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I can't seem to get JzIntv working on my retropie....I need to revisit it and see what I might have missed in the steps.

I have lr-freeintv working, but same games are sort of glitchy. Based on what I've read, might be time to update it!

What does it do?  Just drop out?

Run it and go to /dev/shm/run command.log.  

Post that and let me see it.  Sounds like the exec and Grom are not in the right place.

2 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

What does it do?  Just drop out?

Run it and go to /dev/shm/run command.log.  

Post that and let me see it.  Sounds like the exec and Grom are not in the right place.

thanks, it's probably something that simple.  The doc pages says they need to be in the Libretro system folder. I'm pretty sure they are there, but I will double check tonight.  And yes, it just drops out.  If I can get Bomberman's Streets of Rage remake to work on Retropie (those steps were ridiculous), I can definitely get this....haha.

16 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

thanks, it's probably something that simple.  The doc pages says they need to be in the Libretro system folder. I'm pretty sure they are there, but I will double check tonight.  And yes, it just drops out.  If I can get Bomberman's Streets of Rage remake to work on Retropie (those steps were ridiculous), I can definitely get this....haha.

Dont follow the docs, they're wrong.  They have to be in another folder.  Give me a few hours, when I get to work, I'll have mine setup and I'll tell you where to put them. 

They get buried in a sub folder 9f JzIntv.  A few of the systems are like that because the coding has changed/upgraded but the docs have not. 

I wouldn't call myself a guru by any means, but I've got 50 total systems working on mine.  Most recent is the Tandy and Dragon. 

I'm "jamrom2" on the RetroPie help forum.  I've recently been working with 2 other guys in the MESS/MAME thread to get other systems working and I've been creating new theme logo graphics for systems that don't have any...or are wrong. 

16 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Dont follow the docs, they're wrong.  They have to be in another folder.  Give me a few hours, when I get to work, I'll have mine setup and I'll tell you where to put them. 

They get buried in a sub folder 9f JzIntv.  A few of the systems are like that because the coding has changed/upgraded but the docs have not. 

I wouldn't call myself a guru by any means, but I've got 50 total systems working on mine.  Most recent is the Tandy and Dragon. 

I'm "jamrom2" on the RetroPie help forum.  I've recently been working with 2 other guys in the MESS/MAME thread to get other systems working and I've been creating new theme logo graphics for systems that don't have any...or are wrong. 

thanks!

I love all the work everyone does for these emualtors.  I've got 20 systems up and running on my Retropie, with 5 different versions of MAME and 2 versions of FBALPHA for coin-ops, and then a lot of systems up to the Genesis and SNES.  I have more games than I will ever need to play. I've discovered so many great titles I never played. 

2 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

thanks!

I love all the work everyone does for these emualtors.  I've got 20 systems up and running on my Retropie, with 5 different versions of MAME and 2 versions of FBALPHA for coin-ops, and then a lot of systems up to the Genesis and SNES.  I have more games than I will ever need to play. I've discovered so many great titles I never played. 

Lol.  Same here. I have the A800 running with correct artifacting, as well as the A5200 as two separate emulators...was a bitch to get correct, but working good now.  Plus a ton of custom backgrounds and all kinds of fun stuff.  

The latest FB has moved to FBNeo.  So between MAME2016, 2002 and FBNeo, there should be plenty of options to run arcade games. 

I saw a guy take a Commodore 4/Plus and covert it into a RetroPie unit.  That would be great!  I might do the same if I can find a broken one with a good case for cheap.  My last conversion was with an Intvy Flashback, but still using BT keyboard.  Ultimately I want a whole unit with a keyboard included so I can play those old RPG games like Ultima and such.  

Such a fun hobby!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mik's Arcade said:

The libretro system folder is for freeintv.  The Retropie docs has a different folder for jzintv.  That folder requires a path switch on the command line so some people just use the default folder jzintv looks for those files as IMBerzerk is suggesting.

3 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

thanks!

OK, 

1. You have to create a new folder in /usr/local/share/ called "jzintv" and a sub-folder in it called "rom" (if it's not there already

2. Place all 4 files for JzIntv in /usr/local/share/jzintv/rom : grom, exec, ivoice, ecs

Test it and let me know if it' works.  Depending on your controller (mine is a SNES style) you might have to assign the buttons to exit, reset, move... etc.. so use a keyboard until you do... I think it's F1 to exit JzIntv.

I found this location because Retropie kept flagging it in my /dev/shm/runcommand.log no matter where else I read to place the files. Once I put them in there.. it worked fine.

A few more things....

1. Place your hackfile.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/intellivision

2. Download the attached color palette I had made up a few years ago and place it in /opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv.  Then place the attached emulators.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/intellivision (back-up your old file first!!).  This will give you the corrected color palette for an LCD screen during your load.  The default JzIntv was created to mimic the colors as if it was running on a basic CRT and do not look right on an LCD.  The new emulators.cfg will give you 3 options to choose from for loading Intellivision games.  Jzintv with ECS + Ivoice, Jzintv normal + Ivoice, and last is lr-freeintv.  So when you select a game, choose from that menu per the game you are loading. Works great for ECS only games and other games that do not need the original controller keypad I use in lr-freeintv.

3. Just keep in mind JzIntv although really good (I'd say the best really), does NOT support shaders or overlays.  So you play the games with no effects.  In that emulators.cfg, I set the resolution to use a standard 4:3 as to avoid all the stretching of a wide screen.  In my opinion, it looks better in the format as it was designed to be in.  You can always change it to whatever you want via the JzIntv specifc settings or typing in a specific resolution you want to run it at.

Whew.. a lot right?  LOl... nothing compared to what we're used to in Retropie... lol.

One more fun thing before I forget... 

Make sure you create both a "sears" and a "mattel" folder, in that same rom folder I mentioned above, and place the specific exec and grom files for each system.  This way you can swap out the Sears rom easily if you want a Sears specific build that uses that set.  You have them both right there.

I hope that gets you where you need to be.  Come back and let me know.

emulators.cfg tv_colors.txt

Edited by IMBerzerk

@IMBerzerk thanks for looking into this. I'm going to have to spend some quality time setting this up.

I was able to create the new folders but I only have the grom.bin and exec.bin and just found the others but I need to copy them all over to this new folder. I don't run retropie on a PC, I have it installed in my bartop arcade. So, I need to use the linux command line there as I can't get to this path on my windows network conenction to the machine.

I need to take a deeper dive and I am sure I can set this up, but I won't get to it toinght.   I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by Mik's Arcade

3 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

@IMBerzerk thanks for looking into this. I'm going to have to spend some quality time setting this up.

I was able to create the new folders but I only have the grom.bin and exec.bin and just found the others but I need to copy them all over to this new folder. I don't run retropie on a PC, I have it installed in my bartop arcade. So, I need to use the linux command line there as I can't get to this path on my windows network conenction to the machine.

I need to take a deeper dive and I am sure I can set this up, but I won't get to it toinght.   I'll let you know how it goes.

Couple more things:

Definitely get it on Wifi.  I run Retropie on a Pi3b+ over my wifi.  You'll drive yourself crazy using the console commands.  Better to use Putty and WinSCP to work with the files and commands.

Once you do that, if you need more help with the folder commands for permissions, let me know.  I don't think you'll need to change anything for setting up JzIntv.  But definitely get WinSCP as it makes it very easy to work with the file system on the Pi.

13 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

Couple more things:

Definitely get it on Wifi.  I run Retropie on a Pi3b+ over my wifi.  You'll drive yourself crazy using the console commands.  Better to use Putty and WinSCP to work with the files and commands.

Once you do that, if you need more help with the folder commands for permissions, let me know.  I don't think you'll need to change anything for setting up JzIntv.  But definitely get WinSCP as it makes it very easy to work with the file system on the Pi.

I will definitely look into WINSCP.

I can connect to my pi from my laptop by going to network setting and typing in the IP address, but I can only see certain folders. it is enough for me to edit the game lists XML file, add ROMS and images, and the emualtors and some other configuration files.

thanks for all this help!  When I originally got freeintv up and running, I didn't know how much it was lacking until I really started playing the games....haha.

1 hour ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I will definitely look into WINSCP.

I can connect to my pi from my laptop by going to network setting and typing in the IP address, but I can only see certain folders. it is enough for me to edit the game lists XML file, add ROMS and images, and the emualtors and some other configuration files.

thanks for all this help!  When I originally got freeintv up and running, I didn't know how much it was lacking until I really started playing the games....haha.

Yes, those are the basic folders they allowed for simple access to copy roms, images and BIOS files. 

To really work with RetroPie you need an FTP.  Don't forget to unmask the hidden folders.  There are a lot of folders that start with a "." that are hidden which you will need to work with.

You can hit me here, or PM me... I don't mind if we open talk about RetroPie as far as JzIntv and lr-freeintv are concerned.  Maybe other can learn from it as well.

If you stick with RetroPie and "grow" your image... you'll be shocked at how much you can do and how good it really works.

BTW I didn't tell before but a few months ago I asked authorization from @intvnut to integrate his Intellivoice code in FreeIntv, and he answered me positively :)

So finally today I've managed to implement the code on FreeIntv, and it works very nice!

I've done some tests, and it works just fine.

It would be nice if someone is able to compile from my current tree and test it. https://github.com/nanochess/FreeIntv

Edit: Finally I've updated the version to 1.2 to distinguish it from the previous version.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, nanochess said:

BTW I didn't tell before but a few months ago I asked authorization from @intvnut to integrate his Intellivoice code in FreeIntv, and he answered me positively :)

So finally today I've managed to implement the code on FreeIntv, and it works very nice!

I've done some tests, and it works just fine.

It would be nice if someone is able to compile from my current tree and test it. https://github.com/nanochess/FreeIntv

Edit: Finally I've updated the version to 1.2 to distinguish it from the previous version.

I tried sending you a PM, but for some reason the system blocked it.

I successfully built the code on windows+cygwin+msvc2017, but ...

I first needed to change cmd //c to cmd /c on one line in the makefile, otherwise it just hangs.

regards.

• Like 1