IGNORED

Atari 800XE: Red Screen and hot ICs

dex

try piggy-backing good RAM chips onto the mT ones to isolate the problem

if you do take the soldering iron to the board, be very gentle - the XE range had cheaper assembly costs and the tracks will de-bond if youre not careful

best of luck

Hello everybody, here I am again. Thank you all for the additional hints!

The Sys-Check-Expansion looks very good! I have to search for an option to buy it somewhere. I think this thread can help me probably.

I have received the sockets and the first memory chips and replaced them already. I have replaced them all and not only the hot ones just to "feel clean". ;) The board is really very sensitive, I've never soldered something like this and just broke a land :-o but repaired it than. :) After the sockets were soldered on the board I've double checked the connections beetween the sockets with a multimeter. There seems to be everything OK so far and the chips are not getting hot anymore, only just a little bit warm after some minutes the Atari is turned on.

But the Problem is: The screen is still red! :_(

I have checked the other chips after some minutes and the warmest chip is the CO14806-12 but it is not getting really hot. It's getting only hotter after several seconds with my finger on it. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. All other chips are getting only warm, except all the small ICs, the CO14795-12, the CO12294B-01 and the only chip which was on a socket: CO61991-01 – these chips are staying cold.

I have removed the CO61991-01 from its socket as you can see on the photo attached to this post. The socket looks like somebody has already removed this chip at least once before. And as you can see there is a bent pin. I think this is not what this pin should look like. Am I right or does this make any sense? :? Should I try it again after fixing this pin?

post-61406-0-02762100-1511705114_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

AtariMax lists these catalogue numbers:

CO61991-29 - NCR
CO61922 - CITEL

Once you have spares, swapping out anything socketed is a cinch. If you're sure the new RAM is good (and there are no soldering or broken trace issues) and a FREDDIE swap does nothing, you can proceed to trying a different MMU and even OS ROM. The most badly damaged machine I ever worked on (65XEN) had bad RAM, MMU, OS ROM, FREDDIE and 74LS74. Nothing was socketed, but I followed my nose and had lots of spare ICs to hand. :)

One tip:

Are hou absolutely sure your new RAMs are good ? Can you check them in another known working machine ?

Are you sure they are inserted in the sockets fully ?

Some sockets need quite a bit of pressure to make the RAMs sit perfectly. I've had the same problem when I replaced all RAM on the 2nd XE board and next tried reseating some RAMs and seriously pushing down on others to make them fully sit correctly,

After that the machine jumped to life.

Oh and also check all pins of all RAMs if they aren't bent and are correct in the sockets.

Thank you both for the hints! :)

OK, this seems to get a longer process. I'll check eBay tomorrow to see what I can get, now I'm too tired. :sleep:

I have some 40 pin sockets and also some 74LS74 chips left. This is what I can do/test while waiting for the other stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not absolutely sure if the memory chips are 100 % OK. I bought these chips on eBay, they have been offered as "new old stock" there but I looked today once again on the eBay page and the seller has not mentioned wether they have been tested or not. I'm waiting for another set of OKI chips I have ordered in Bulgaria, I hope to get them in the upcoming week. These chips has been sold as "tested".

And I will get an Atari 130XE hopefully this week, too, but I don't know anything about its condition so far.

The pins of the RAM chips are all OK, I tried also to press them with a little bit more pressure in their sockets but they didn't move.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No almost a month later I'm back. Meantime I ordered a "new" Freddie but replaced the existing one in my 800XE but this didn't help. So I've checked again every chips temperature and the CPU (CO14806) seemd to be strange: only the half of the chip was warm. So I have desoldered the chip carefully and soldered a socket. Yesterday I got a new CO14806 and put it in and what can I say? It works! :)

Thank you all for the hints and help! :) Today it is for me like christmas! ;)

Now I have to get a drive to see if this works and then I want to build a DIY SD card drive. I found some tutorials based on the Arduino Uno.

post-61406-0-83584500-1513887129_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great that you persisted and got it fixed ! And another thing we learned from it too...

Sounds like both RAM and CPU were dead then....I wouldn't be surprised if this machine was connect d to either a dead power supply pushing out too high voltage or maybe to a C64 PSU....

Anyway : well done !!!