IGNORED

Heat resistance SIO plug

ivop

Hi,

Just in case I'm about to ruin a perfectly fine SIO plug, does anybody know what temperatures it can resist? I "need" around 100℃ - 130. Do you think it will survive that or will it start melting already?

Regards,

Ivo

Edited by ivop

Hi,

Just in case I'm about to ruin a perfectly fine SIO plug, does anybody know what temperatures it can resist? I "need" around 100℃ - 130. Do you think it will survive that or will it start melting already?

Regards,

Ivo

I guess the plug will withstand this temperature. 3D print temperature of ABS is higher than 200°C, so if the SIO plugs is also ABS (a guess too), I would expect not much more than a bit softening of the material.

(Maybe you are able to produce a mould (wink, wink) with silicone or latex at room temperature too.)

I have done Silicone molds in the past and that would be too soft, but you're right about the mold part :) I'm thinking Polymer clay (which contains no clay at all btw). It's soft like clay at room temperature but after baking it at 110℃(230℉) for 20-30 minutes, it becomes solid PVC.

• Like 2

On the other end, there is Polycaprolactone, which is solid at room temperature and can be melted by heating it to 60℃(140℉) or a little more, it becomes "kneadable". When it cools, it becomes solid again and very tough.

Edit: not sure BTW which material will become the mold, or maybe a combination with 3D printing or perhaps it all fails and I'll have to think of something completely different :)

Edited by ivop

I have done Silicone molds in the past and that would be too soft, but you're right about the mold part :) I'm thinking Polymer clay (which contains no clay at all btw). It's soft like clay at room temperature but after baking it at 110℃(230℉) for 20-30 minutes, it becomes solid PVC.

If I remember correctly this material shrinks when heated? Not sure if this would fit the purpose.

What about Montezuma's plug solution from his SIO2BT? These should fit/match?

Edited by Irgendwer

I think you would be fine at 130 as long as you dont touch it and let everything settle back down, I know the remaining wave solder at my work gets hotter than that for preheating, but its a ram to a peak and a sharp ramp back down, its not sustained heat (and its much less hot than the solder side or a lead free reflow oven)

Update: SIO plug survives 130℃ perfectly fine. Polymer Clay does indeed shrink a little when it becomes solid (like Irgendwer said). Can Montezuma's design be downloaded somewhere?

Edit: I found Montezuma's files. It's extended, but otherwise the same as the one I had already printed (and didn't fit nicely).

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

I also found this one:

http://modelmarket3d.com/pl/elektronika/96-atari-sio-plug.html

Looked at the 3D models with their viewer and although it looks more accurate and a better ledge to keep the plug in the housing, the dimensions seem completely off :/ Perhaps the shown model is not the same as the one you get when they print it for you?

I also found this one:

http://modelmarket3d.com/pl/elektronika/96-atari-sio-plug.html

Looked at the 3D models with their viewer and although it looks more accurate and a better ledge to keep the plug in the housing, the dimensions seem completely off :/ Perhaps the shown model is not the same as the one you get when they print it for you?

The guy is selling a file for a 3D printable version of the SIO plug? Or?

The guy is selling a file for a 3D printable version of the SIO plug? Or?

I was under the impression they also had a printing service, but I think you are right and that they only sell 3D models. Well, for 3.99zln (1 euro) I bought one. Payment accepted. Now I have to wait.

Thanks. Please let us know how this experiment goes. Are the plastics used for parts production pretty sturdy? My only experience with 3D pieces is my UNO Cart with a 3D shell. Seems sturdy, but then it is a very simple shape and pretty thick.

-Larry

printing wise round holes are better than square, you got to keep in mind unless your doing something with a high end powder printer or similar (like a soluble support material) you have to build the next layer on top of the last, thus at the top of a square hole you have a large gap to bridge

round hole is 2 arch's so by the time you get to the top its a very minor gap to jump ... I am no expert on it, I just have a 200$ kit printer but easily done round holes on the Z axis inches in diameter, square ... over a cm they start getting droopy

also have to keep in mind if its a solid hole or one split across to halves of a shell

Edited by Osgeld

• 1 month later...

Then there is free sio male cable end which you can 3d print yourself.

The pins that work can be atx power supply pins on a wire to inset or

Molex part # 08-50-0105

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1831769

Someone on the facebook side pointed me in the right direction.

I was aware of this plug, but unfortunately it is very difficult to get a right print. Everything is too tightly designed. I want a plug that can easily be printed on a sub-$300 desktop printer, in PLA, on a cold bed, with 0.4 mm nozzle and 0.1-0.2 mm layer height. I'm almost done designing one. It'll be a two part design, i.e. like an enclosure and a lid. No more problems with two halves not fitting well and the "insert" part not fitting in between. When it's done, I'll share the files on github or thingiverse.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 4

It'll be a two part design, i.e. like an enclosure and a lid.

You may can save (printing-) time/costs and construction efforts by utilising these standard SUB-D housings:

post-7778-0-94737700-1317247975.jpg

In the mean time I found a source for black ones:

https://www.henri.de/bauelemente/steckverbinder/sub-d-verbinder/d-sub-hauben-kunststoff/20373/9pol-sub-d-haube-kunststoff-schwarz.html

40-871-00035-PH9DT-EVE-2012-BIG.jpg

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 4