IGNORED

No power I've replaced a few things

M6iqj

Hello my first post so here goes.

Ive got a jaguar and had it about 20 years or so and had been in the cupboard for ages.

a few months ago I fired it and it had a red screen (common fault )

I decided to clean the pins and same issue red screen.

Now the jaguar has no power, I've replaced the U38 IC MC34163 and still no power.

also found a few traces by the cartridge port have been eating away so I've managed to repair the tracks and still no power.

Ive tried a few carts etc and no power, also checked all pins on the cart port with a DVM they seem ok with a continuity checker.

Any ideas to what to check now?? or is this jaguar BER?

The first thing to jump to mind is that a pin or pins mave have been bent/misaligned before you changed the power chip. The console will not power on unless a firm solid connection is made between the Jag and the cart.

I would check this potential issue REALLY thoroughly before progressing further

I've been able to save an apparently "dead" Jag before thanks to this piece of advice :)

post-62643-0-29931900-1511387577_thumb.jpgpost-62643-0-99093200-1511387586_thumb.jpgim not using the official psu at the moment I'm using a variable power supply I've checked voltages with DVM meter.

A friend soldered the chip in using a heat gun. he first removed the caps so as not to damage them when heating the u38 ic.

Any to check the ic is working correctly ?

Edited by M6iqj

It could very well be the pin, the solder job, or a combination with both. Unfortunately it can be very hard to tell with pictures. My bet would be on the pin, but I can't say without seeing it myself.

The most useful advice to you is once your console is fixed, get either an official or 3rd party power supply intended for Jaguar use.

I use Model 1 Mega Drive adapters when I'm all out of other options and need to sell a console, and they seem to work fine, but I would definitely recommend the Jag PSU

I have come across semiconductors that have had cracks in the case, holes in them and even completely blow apart but have never come across or heard of one having gunk come out, I can't imagine what he gunk would be as they are only silicon. a little gold and a smidge of solder. Capacitor with gunk coming out on the other hand would not be unusual.

The fact that you were getting power before cleaning the cartridge slot would suggest as previously mentioned a possible bent spring contact in the cartridge slot, however for thoroughness...

The GND (0V) connection runs from the center (pin) connection on the power connector through the power switch and then the Cartridge via connector pins B34 (in) & B35 (out) to pin 2 of U38. So try using a multimeter to check the continuity (resistance) along that path (connector - switch, switch - cartridge, cartridge - U38 with a cartridge inserted, a correct result will be less than 10 ohms and ideally 0 ohms.

If that checks out then check the continuity from the 9V pin of the power connector through the power switch to pin 7 of U38.

That way you can establish if power should be getting to U38 and if not where the issue lies (power connector - switch, switch in - switch out, switch - cart in (0V)/U38 (+9V), Cart in - Cart out, or Cart out - U38. Remember if you are not getting continuity through the switch it may be defective or just in the off position so press it and try again.

I'm going to a friends house later so he can look at the connector and hopefully fix it.

He has a stereo zoom microscope so would be able to look at the connector in more detail .

Is there any place in the uk where I can buy a replacement connector for the cartridge port??

Once again thanks for all the replies and all your help