IGNORED

Power Supply Buzzes

Hank Rearden

When I plug in the power supply I hear an electrical buzz but when you flip the pack over it stops. It looks like it's outputting 14.3v, which I know is too much. Are these things fixable if you can bust it open? I looked on YouTube but didn't really see anything.

Looks like you can get one from Best Electronics for $15.

Does your console not work when using this supply?

These are not regulated power supplies so the unloaded voltage will be higher than the rated operational voltage.

Other posts discussing the voltage. There are undoubtedly a number of others:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269001-5200-power-supply-voltage/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/109115-5200-troubleshooting-blank-black-screen/?p=3851581

It has a transformer in it. Transformers can start buzzing/humming with age. Typically its from the varnish on the core getting old and cracking, so the layers of the core start vibrating.

As noted in the previous reply, for the overvotage, thats normal on a linear power supply. With no load they put out higher voltage than rated for. The voltage rating on the power supply is when it is under normal load. That aside, I think 7805 voltage regulators can actually go into the mid 20s before the would be getting too much voltage. Obviously the higher the voltage it gets, the hotter it runs. So its in your best interest not to use a power supply that is rated far above the original, even if the 7805 can take it.

But if you were to open the console and check the supply voltage while the console is on, you would most likely see the 9 or 10v or whatever its rated for.

As for opening it, I believe there are 2 different styles of 5200 ps. One has screws and can be easily opened. The other is plastic welded shut and would need to be cut open. There are two 3300uf caps in there and a fuse. Other than that, not much is serviceable inside them. Unless you had the exact perfect size and rated transformer to put in it.

Edited by nick3092

Thanks for the replies. The console does work with the power supply, however, I ordered a new PS from Best Electronics just to be safe. The games load up and I can kind of sort of play them. After talking with the guy at best and troubleshooting the controllers, I'm convinced they are the real problem so I ordered one gold rebuild kit and now I'm hoping for the best.

• Like 1

Good luck getting it going.

If it's just loose windings on the transformer, that power supply might last a long time. On the other hand, it would bug the daylights out of me, too.

I can't keep using it. I might explode! LOL

I'll start fresh. I just hope I get it and the gold rebuild kit and I'm good to go to play some 5200 games! :) :)

Keep in mind the new power supply you just bought probably isnt really new. Rather its NOS - New Old Stock. Meaning even though its never been used, its just as old as your original power supply and can suffer the same old age defects. Like cracked varnish on the core.

On the other hand, it may not have any cracked varnish and will be super quiet. Hard to say. NOS parts all age differently depending on how/where they are stored.

Keep in mind the new power supply you just bought probably isnt really new. Rather its NOS - New Old Stock. Meaning even though its never been used, its just as old as your original power supply and can suffer the same old age defects. Like cracked varnish on the core.

On the other hand, it may not have any cracked varnish and will be super quiet. Hard to say. NOS parts all age differently depending on how/where they are stored.

Comes with a guarantee so I'm hoping for the best.

Comes with a guarantee so I'm hoping for the best.

Meaning as long as it works it works. I don't think they will replace it just because it is buzzing. I've several PS that buzz but I've never been bothered by it. My loudest is actually my TurboDUO PS as I can hear it buzzing behind the console display case I use to house all my connected consoles in. But since all my systems going through my AV receiver, I don't hear it while playing a game. It has been buzzing away for several years without an issue. I also had a 5200 2 port model PS that was quite the buzzer, but I believe It was given away as one of my many door prizes during my previous OVGE conventions here. Not on purpose, it was just the first PS I grabbed and put in with the bundle that I knew worked at the time. Didn't realize it was the buzzer one until several years after.

It's not just loose windings that make noise. The core laminations can also develop air gaps that allow vibration and consequent noise. In a larger industrial transformer, it's not uncommon to insert wedges between the loose laminations to quiet them down.

I would imagine a varnish or thinned epoxy or maybe even "super glue" might quiet laminations on a small transformer.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm new to the 5200 and also have a loud, buzzy OEM power supply. The power supply does have screws, but I'm wondering if bothering to take it apart to make it quieter would be worth it.

What about instead, using a modern regulated power supply? I don't have a 9.3v 2 Amp center positive PSU with a connector that will fit, but I do have a modern regulated power supply that outputs 12v 2 Amps center pin positive. Would that be safe to use?

7 hours ago, Satoshi Matrix said:

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm new to the 5200 and also have a loud, buzzy OEM power supply. The power supply does have screws, but I'm wondering if bothering to take it apart to make it quieter would be worth it.

What about instead, using a modern regulated power supply? I don't have a 9.3v 2 Amp center positive PSU with a connector that will fit, but I do have a modern regulated power supply that outputs 12v 2 Amps center pin positive. Would that be safe to use?

That would work fine as I've measured +12v at the MJE210s before on several consoles and the 7805s can handle it fine. But you could also just get a modern switching replacement supply? I've got one of these and use in the lab all the time and it has been great! The ONLY issue is that the power cord is only about 5' long vs the 10' or whatever the originals had. So if the outlet to 5200 distance isn't that far, then it would be fine.

https://console5.com/store/triad-magnetics-power-supply-for-atari-5200-twin-famicom-pal-snes.html

Our current measurements indicate that a 4-port 5200 with switchbox, and an AtariMax cartridge, draws under 900mA. Standard cartridges will draw even less power.
Measurements with VCS adapter have not yet been tested.

Wow. Dang, then 2 Amps is way overkill. All I need then is 1 Amp. I've have to dig through my power supplies to see if I have something. I thought I had to give it a 9v at 2 Amps, which is not very common.

2 hours ago, Satoshi Matrix said:

Our current measurements indicate that a 4-port 5200 with switchbox, and an AtariMax cartridge, draws under 900mA. Standard cartridges will draw even less power.

Wow. Dang, then 2 Amps is way overkill. All I need then is 1 Amp. I've have to dig through my power supplies to see if I have something. I thought I had to give it a 9v at 2 Amps, which is not very common.

I'm pretty sure it was spec'd the way it was back then as Atari had plans for additional peripherals off the expansion port and likely wanted the console to be able to provide the power for such things and not require separate power supplies to be needed. Similar to how the console is able to provide the power needed to the VCS adapter. But Console5's statement about the current draw is accurate and in fact on my bench supply a 5200 seems to be more like 750 - 820mA.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:19 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm pretty sure it was spec'd the way it was back then as Atari had plans for additional peripherals off the expansion port and likely wanted the console to be able to provide the power for such things and not require separate power supplies to be needed. Similar to how the console is able to provide the power needed to the VCS adapter. But Console5's statement about the current draw is accurate and in fact on my bench supply a 5200 seems to be more like 750 - 820mA.

Has anyone ever found out what, if any, peripherals were meant to be used with the expansion port? Like, did Atari have anything officially in the works? Or was more of a case of "put it in now and find a use for it later" kind of situation?

On 1/19/2024 at 10:48 PM, Satoshi Matrix said:

I know this is old, but I wanted to say the 2 Amp supply will work fine.  The console will only draw the power (Amps) it needs.  Amp rating on a power supply is just the maximum it will output.  The main thing is to make sure the positive and negatives on the barrel connector are correct.  Some have positive on the inside of the barrel and for some it's negative with positive on the outside.  If you buy a regulated supply, be careful.  Some of the cheaper ones are noisy and it can affect your video signal on some consoles.

• Like 1