IGNORED

4K Short'n'Sweet game contest

Asmusr

Yes. I went into Cartridge -> User and pick that ROM. And it's not showing up on the list that's right after the start screen. Minesweeper I have showed up and booted.

I've managed to show in Classic99 the cartridge name, rename game_6000.bin to gamec.bin, gamed.bin or gameg.bin but it crashes on pressing 2 to run cartridge. :? sorry, not a lot of experience there :grin:

So yes, you needn't use a pad on Classic99... the naming conventions are what it seeks... Often games that I try to play won't load up unless I put an "8" at the end of the name (due to the 378 logic).

Love your game, Nanochess! Did you enjoy writing in TMS9900 assembler?

Edit: Didn't knew but Classic99 requires the GROM to be rounded to 8K with zeroes. Not sure if allowed by the rules to upload a 8K image.

Looks like there was a little confusion here, but I think you got it sorted? Just to be clear though:

-Classic99 does NOT require padding of files.

-To use User->Open to open a cartridge (instead of creating a detailed entry by hand in Classic99.ini), the file must contain the necessary metadata in the filename to identify what it is. Using (and extending) the standard set by V9T9 back in the mid-90's, this is the last letter of the filename followed by ".BIN". The most common extensions Classic99 knows are:

C.BIN - CPU cartridge memory, up to 8k

G.BIN - GROM cartridge memory, up to 40k

8.BIN - bank-switched cartridge from 16k to 32MB, banks stored non-inverted

9.BIN - bank-switched cartridge from 16k to 32MB, banks stored inverted

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Gonna go try these entries now. ;)

• Like 4

Do we know how many we are expecting? I kind of want to reserve some time to play test all of these in a single session so I'm sitting on them until they are all in. I suppose by the deadline is a good thing to wait for. I kind of have my own scoring table and will score each title accordingly then add them at the end to see where my vote(s) go. Thoroughly impressed so far with what I've seen. Congrats to you all. I couldn't set aside the time required to participate at this moment, maybe next time.

• Like 2

So yes, you needn't use a pad on Classic99... the naming conventions are what it seeks... Often games that I try to play won't load up unless I put an "8" at the end of the name (due to the 378 logic).

Love your game, Nanochess! Did you enjoy writing in TMS9900 assembler?

Thanks!

Well at the end it was so easy (figurative, I have 35 years programming) that I was wondering why didn't started years ago :)

Although helped me the fact it looks a lot like Intellivision assembler (also 16 bits)

• Like 4

I know of two more in the works but there are potentially more. :)

My entry should be ready by end of next week. I'm familiarizing myself with sound production in assembly and let me tell you that it is a royal pain in the ass... I think at some point in the future I'm going to write a utility to automatically convert CALL SOUND values into the byte strings needed by the sound generator which I could copy and paste into my programs.

• Like 1

My entry should be ready by end of next week. I'm familiarizing myself with sound production in assembly and let me tell you that it is a royal pain in the ass... I think at some point in the future I'm going to write a utility to automatically convert CALL SOUND values into the byte strings needed by the sound generator which I could copy and paste into my programs.

You have Rexx or PHP on your computer?

One question, now that I think about it, should the submission thread have gone into the non-development forum? Or maybe just the voting thread when that comes up?

I know there are a few people who don't look in here. ;)

I think the voting thread should go in the parent forum as soon as voting opens and have a link to the submissions thread from there. Just my 2 cents.

I'm going to wait until the deadline before playing anything. These all look awesome and I can see myself dedicating an afternoon to it. :)

One question, now that I think about it, should the submission thread have gone into the non-development forum? Or maybe just the voting thread when that comes up?

I know there are a few people who don't look in here. ;)

This forum has the advantage that we can edit posts indefinitely.

• Like 1