IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2018)

Week 23

Top games

1. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One) - 812 min.

2. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 545 min.

3. Clone Hero (PC) - 429 min.

4. Cash, Inc (iOS) - 304 min.

5. Diablo 3 (Xbox One) - 300 min.

6. Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) - 244 min.

7. Building Rush (Browser based) - 226 min.

8. Minecraft (3DS) - 120 min.

9. Skyrim (Xbox One) - 120 min.

10. 7 Days to Die (PC) - 112 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 1777 min.

2. PC - 541 min.

3. iOS - 386 min.

4. Wii - 244 min.

5. Browser based - 226 min.

6. 3DS - 130 min.

7. Switch - 20 min.

Total 3324 minutes and 13 different games.

Xbox One dominance, and at the bottom we get our first Switch entry!

On the all-time top lists, the Xbox One holds 5 positions on the top 10 and 10 positions on the top 20.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this week (June 11th through 17th) on modern systems:

Browser Based (Kongregate):

Three Goblets - 34 min.

VIsual PinMAME (PC):

Baby Pac-Man - 87 min.

I replayed the "original" version of Baby Pac-Man in order to compare it to the Atari 7800 version currently in development. Actually, this one is hard to categorize since it's a combination of emulation and simulation... Visual PinMAME runs the original ROM of Baby Pac-Man, so it's arcade perfect while you play the video part, but the pinball table has been re-built in Visual Pinball, which itself is a PC application, and it's noticeably different from the original version in that the original table is actually smaller than the "ported" one, at least in comparison to the ball.

Then I tried a new game on Kongregate which I've never played before, Three Goblets. In it, you enter various dungeons battling monsters which get more and more powerful, so you have to upgrade your player in order to beat more and more of the enemies. You don't actually see the dungeons, however, only the battles with the monsters which appear as static monochrome images with sound and music only consisting of square waves.

• Like 2

Xbox One

PUBG: 1,021 minutes

Back in the groove! I still haven't won a round in what feels like ages, but we continue to have several laugh-out-loud moments that lead to long emails the following day to fill in whoever wasn't there amongst our group. I actually have been playing better as well, despite the lack of wins. It's such a difficult game & despite the buginess, is so fun to play & never the same game twice.

Wolfenstein 2, The New Colossus: 91 minutes

I finished off a couple more achievements but most of my time was sucked back up by PUBG this week.

Rockstar Table Tennis (Xbox 360 via Xbox One backwards compatibility): 20 minutes

I've heard good things about this since it was released 12 (!!) years ago but it took it being on sale for $5 to get me to pull the trigger. I went through the tutorials & I'm looking forward to playing more. Fun game.

• Like 1

There was almost nothing in the way of modern gaming going on my household this past week, but we did play a ton of classic games (info on that here in the Classic Gaming Tracker). As far as the modern stuff goes, all that was played around here was...

Nintendo 3DS

StreetPass Mii Plaza - 3 minutes

Yep… that was it. :lol:

• Like 2

Week 24

Top games

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 1021 min.

2. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One) - 91 min.

3. Baby Pac-Man [Visual PinMAME] (PC) - 87 min.

4. Three Goblets (Browser based) - 34 min.

5. Rockstar Table Tennis (Xbox 360) - 20 min.

6. StreetPass Mii Plaza (3DS) - 3 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 1112 min.

2. PC - 8 min.

3. Browser based - 34 min.

4. Xbox 360 - 20 min.

5. 3DS - 3 min.

Total 1256 minutes and 6 different games on 5 different systems... slow week!

• Like 3

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 1112 min.

2. PC - 8 min.

3. Browser based - 34 min.

4. Xbox 360 - 20 min.

5. 3DS - 3 min.

Total 1256 minutes and 6 different games on 5 different systems... slow week!

Wait, something went wrong here... how can the PC be at #2 when it has only been played for 8 minutes? Either the placement or the time must be wrong.

Here are my times for this week (June 18th through 24th) on modern systems:

Sorry, I didn't play anything on modern systems this week, though I considered visiting the arcade again to play another round of "Dolphin Star", but in the end I refrained from doing it.

There's still a discussion going on about the development of "Baby Pac-Man" on the Atari 7800. Right now the pinball part is in the works, and while I'm not the programmer, I made some quite extensive contributions to the thread explaining my ideas how to program things, such as dividing the pinball playfield in several areas having only 1 to 2 collision checks each. You can read all of my postings from this week if you start here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278165-baby-pac-man/page-15

• Like 3

Xbox One

PUBG: 887 minutes

It felt like I played it as much as last week, but I missed all of Friday night, so I suppose that's the difference in the minutes from the previous week.

I continue to play better & just tonight, a buddy & I finally won a game. I think our last win was May 1, so this one felt good.

42943321952_28282577ec_z.jpg

Edited by StormSurge
  • Like 2

PC:

Jet Set Radio - 179 minutes

Yeah, one game.

So Jet Set Radio on the PC is something I love and hate - I love it because it's a good port of the game but I hate it because without a controller it's near-if-not-actually unplayable. The current issue is that I'm out of USB ports on my PC and the one hub with open spots is way up the wall so that my wireless receiver for my VOIDs can reach around the whole house - it's rare that I say this, but in this situation I can say that I'm happy I bought the Steam Link as that saved me the "hassle" of unplugging stuff, the couch is pretty comfortable compared to my chair, and the game looks surprisingly nice on the new big TV.

Speaking of the Steam, well I said that I'd put $50 on because the sale and grab a bunch of stuff so expect to see more when good 'ol DSL feels like downloading stuff at more than 100KB/s. I was going to go buy a Switch game or two but eh, I figure if I can get 10-20 PC games that I wanted for the same as one or two Switch games that I don't know much about (and get an equal if not greater amount of hours of gameplay on the PC ones) then that's probably the smart route to go.

• Like 3

Times are approximate as I've been lazy...

Xbox One

Witcher III - 10 min (I started over on this one, vowing to go through it all the way this time. I didn't make it far until I quit. It's a great game, and I have a save that's reasonably far into the game, but I haven't played it in a while, so I figured I'd start over because I've probably forgotten some plot points or whatever. I do this with some games... I've never "finished" the main story line on games like Witcher, Fallout 4, Skyrim,... hell, even LoZ Windwaker... I get bogged down in sidequests or leveling or whatever and just kinda burn myself out.)

GBA (via PSP emulation)

Sword of Mana - 240 min (Usually, this is one that I'd be able to give an exact time on, as it lists the time played on the save file. But I remembered that I set it down on pause and walked off to cook and eat dinner, so that time is probably no longer accurate. It was saying about five and a half hours. I say it was probably actually about 4 hours of actual play time. I used to have this game. Received it brand new for my birthday (in October). Anyway, I was forced to give it away a couple months later when my wife got one of those Christmas lists for underprivileged kids. A little girl had asked for a GBA game and since I still had the box and manual and everything except the shrink wrap, it was sacrificed. It was for a good cause, I guess. Hope she liked it. I'm enjoying playing it this time around.)

Wario Land 4 - 30 min (Apparently I downloaded the Japanese rom? Anyway, the moves are all explained visually, so didn't really need it. Great looking and controlling game. Not sure where I'm going sometimes or what my objective is, but it is fun so far. Not sure how much I'll play it, though.)

PSP

IL-2 Sturmovik - 30 min (I have this for the Xbox 360. It's a pretty darn good looking game, even on the small screen. I'm not too happy with the controls, though. Seems a little too arcade-like on the PSP. Maybe if it had two analog sticks... )

Hot Shots Golf Open Tee - 75 min (A fun golf game. The Hot Shots franchise seems to be fun no matter what platform I play it on. It's not the most realistic, of course, but enjoyable none the less. I still haven't figured out how to play on a different course, as they seem to be locked. I've played a couple challenges and unlocked some things that I haven't figured out yet... Triangle shot unlocked! WTF is a Triangle shot?... It's definitely one of the ones I'll be playing more of.)

Tomb Raider Legend - 15 min (Not too impressed with this one. Control seems a bit difficult. Think it was easier on the old Playstation... I couldn't get past the training mission in her house or whatever.)

• Like 4

Not of a ton of games played in my household this week, but a good bit of time logged in each. :)

aPq21zV.jpg

Ineligible
Alien 3 (Game Boy) - 297 minutes
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy) - 148 minutes

Parasite Eve (PlayStation) - 522 minutes
Punky Skunk (PlayStation) - 257 minutes

Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers (Game Boy Color) - 211 minutes

Nintendo Wii
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 241 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,676 minutes (27 hours 56 minutes) [241 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
PlayStation: 779 minutes
Game Boy: 445 minutes
Nintendo Wii: 241 minutes
Game Boy Color: 211 minutes

For me the week started off by finishing my all time favorite Zelda game, Link's Awakening on the Game Boy, then playing through and—for the first time in my entire life—beating my #1 childhood favorite Game Boy game: Alien 3. I had an absolute blast exploring the hallowed halls of Fiorina 161 and discovering all the little hidden secrets and solving the puzzles I could never figure out as a kid, and once the task was done I wrote a nice little review of Alien 3 that you can find here in the Games Beaten in 2018 thread. Between Link's Awakening and Alien 3 I also did a full play through of Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers for the Game Boy Color, which I also wrote a little review of for the aforementioned thread. In short, it was the best Scooby-Doo game I've ever played and I'd definitely recommend it to any fan of the cartoon.

After finishing up the classic Game Boy / Color titles I decided to dive into a Wii game that's been sitting on my shelf for a few months now, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I'm on chapter 11 of 12 in the game right now so I'm almost done with it, but I'll save my thoughts about the game until next week once I've beaten it and have had some time to reflect on the experience. At the moment my feelings on it are rather mixed, but we'll see how it plays out.

Moving on to the misses' gaming for the past week, she had some pretty mixed experiences too. She played through Parasite Eve and had a great time with it up until the final boss, at which point she discovered that with her character's current experience level, health restoring supplies, and weapons there was literally no way to beat the final boss. No matter what you do the boss will do more damage to the player than she had health restoring supplies to recover from and her character's level was too low to do any substantial damage to the boss, and to top it all off the game makes you save right before the boss fight so there was no way for her to go back and level up her character more to try again. After a few dozen failed attempts on the boss she accepted that it was just impossible to beat then gave up and started a new game, with the intention of playing through the whole thing again and going in to the boss fight better prepared the second time around.

She spent a few hours on her second Parasite Eve attempt but soon got distracted from it when a copy of Punky Skunk she scored on eBay arrived the mail. Putting aside Parasite Eve, she spent the rest of the week doing a full play through of Punky Sunk and had a ton of fun with it. 2D platformers were pretty scarce during the 32/64-bit era and this rare little gem turned out to be a fantastic one. The characters and backgrounds all looked great, the level design was creative and interesting, and she thought the difficulty curve was just right. The only complaint she had about the game is that the noise Punky makes whenever he jumps was a little grating at first, but she did get used to it and ultimately thought that the game as a whole was great.

Looking ahead to next week, I've got a few Game Boy Color games coming in the mail from Wongojack and I'm sure I'll be playing through two of them in particular as soon as they arrive. Until then I'm just going to work on finishing up Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The misses does plan to resume her second attempt on Parasite Eve, but she did score copies of both Rayman and Rayman 2 for the PlayStation on eBay last night so I imagine that once they arrive she might set Parasite Eve aside again for some more platforming action.

I think that covers all the gaming around here for now, so until next time, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Week 25

Top games

1. Skyrim (Xbox One) - 960 min.

2. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 887 min.

3. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) - 241 min.

4. Sword of Mana (GBA) - 240 min.

5. Jet Set Radio (PC) - 179 min.

6. NintendoLand (Wii U) - 120 min.

7. Outrun Online Arcade (Xbox 360) - 100 min.

8. Hot Shots Golf Open Tee (PSP) - 75 min.

9. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - 60 min.

10. Hydro Thunder (Xbox 360) - 45 min.

10. Wii Sports Club (Wii U) - 45 min.

10. Yoshi's Wooly World (Wii U) - 45 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 1857 min.

2. GBA - 270 min.

2. Wii U - 270 min.

4. Wii - 241 min.

5. PC - 209 min.

6. Xbox 360 - 145 min.

7. PSP - 120 min.

Total 3112 minutes and 17 different games on 7 different systems. A stronger showing than previous week, and if anything this was an Xbox One week. Actually if we consider PC to be a Microsoft format (which it usually is unless some Linux gaming is included), it mostly was a two manufacturer battle between Microsoft at 2211 mins and Nintendo at 781 mins, with Sony trailing at 120. I realize this often is the case with modern gaming, only a handful system manufacturers to account for.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (June 25th through July 1st)...

Browser Based:

Doodle Jump Online - 3 min.

The only modern game I played this week is a browser version of the phone app "Doodle Jump" in order to compare it to the Atari 2600 demakes "Poodle Jump" and "Amoeba Jump" and also in order to record the sounds (and convert them for a possible further demake to a different system).

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 2

My modern gaming for the week...

GameBoy Advance

Sword of Mana (emulated via PSP) - 105 min (Waited a little long between play sessions and kinda forgot what I was doing or where I was supposed to go next. I did further the story some, though.)

PSP

Hot Shots Open Tee - 120 min (Did several of the challenges and a couple full rounds. This really is an easy to pick up game. Not too arcadey, but not so realistic either. A good golf game.)

PS3

Wipeout HD - 20 min (Haven't played this in a long time. Finally did well enough in a certain race to get a medal (bronze). Definitely a game that rewards practice.)

XBox One

Witcher III - 30 min (Played a little more on this from my new game. I just don't know that I want to go through and do this stuff again. I just keep remembering the annoying parts. I was super into it and totally played nothing but for a while, but, boom, done... I dunno.)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 2

Nintendo Switch:

Mario Kart 8 - 44 minutes

PC:

Clone Hero - 35 minutes

N++ - 179 minutes

Pit People - 237 minutes

So this week was couch co-op week for me featuring the Switch and Steam Link.

The Switch got used which was a welcome sight for the thing as it's been just sitting on the dock for a while now - what can I say, I really only find use for it when it's multiplayer stuff as I just haven't had many singleplayer titles that I really want on that I can't have elsewhere/haven't beat already. Mario Kart 8 is always good fun on the thing though so I can't complain, did a bit of Grand Prix with some friends and I ended up getting crushed like usual as while I'm not bad they're a lot better than I am.

So yeah, Pit People. I always liked the Behemoth titles - I probably have ~200 hours in Castle Crashers as friends and I used to just sit down and run the game over and over on different characters a few times a year since the game came out and BattleBlock Theater was amazing/I want to buy it again on PC so I don't have to hook up the Xbox 360 anymore. Pit People is no different and I really like it - it's a solid RTS, it's got the same odd and somewhat random but still pretty funny (to me at least) humor, the art is done well, Will Stamper (like usual) provides some good voice acting, and at the end of the day it's a ton of fun to play with another person. I specifically bought this game when it came out to play co-op and finally got to do just that, man I'm happy that I bought that.

N++ is like any other N game, fast-paced precision platforming that ends in some frustration but a lot of fun. After a while of Pit People we had a third person want to join in so we swapped to N++ as it does up to four players and just like Pit People we spent a few hours just on this one clearing co-op levels. Being that the guys I were playing with were a bit older than me they didn't have the same experience as I did (growing up playing N on flash game sites) so they took a while to get used to it but hey, it's not much of a learning curve as much as it is trying to communicate with each-other and not get mad when you keep failing.

Finally just a little bit of Clone Hero sneaks in as-usual with any couch co-op session that involves the PC with me wanting to play the really hard stuff since it's all that gives me challenges anymore while the others were struggling along on what they picked - probably not the best way to play but whatever, letting everyone else pick the songs keeps it fun for them.

So yeah, couch co-op is always a lot of fun for me as it gives the Steam Link and big TV a use for me. I have zero plans for the next week with modern games, I mean I'm still trying to install stuff from the sale which has been proving to take way too long but at least that'll get done eventually.

• Like 3

There was only about half as much gaming time as usual logged in my household this week, due to the misses and I marathon watching the entirety of Ken Burns' 17 hour documentary on the Vietnam War together over the course of the week. Fortunately we were still able to make a little time for gaming here and there as well. :)

1vAHUFJ.jpg

Ineligible
Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition (Game Boy Color) - 40 minutes
OutRun (Sega Master System) - 20 minutes
Parasite Eve (PlayStation) - 104 minutes
Project S-11 (Game Boy Color) - 69 minutes
Rayman (PlayStation) - 55 minutes
Tomb Raider: Starring Lara Croft (Game Boy Color) - 74 minutes
Woody Woodpecker (Game Boy Color, Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 137 minutes

Nintendo Wii
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 194 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
693 minutes (11 hours 33 minutes) [194 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Game Boy Color: 320 minutes
Nintendo Wii: 194 minutes
PlayStation: 159 minutes
Sega Master System: 20 minutes

When it came to gaming I spent the majority of the week playing a few different Game Boy Color games for the Nintendo Age forum effort to beat as many Game Boy Color games as possible in 2018, the tracker for which I've been running the past couple years. This week I did Ms. Pac-Man, Woody Woodpecker, and Project S-11; then started in on Tomb Raider towards the end of the week. I also finished up Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on the Wii this week, and you can find my short review of that game along with the GBC games I beat this week here in the Games Beaten in 2018 thread. The only other gaming I did this past week was just 20 minutes of OutRun on the Master System, which just frustrates the heck out of me with it's difficulty level so I didn't spend much time on it.

As far as the misses' gaming time this past week goes she didn't really play anything until she got a copy of Rayman for the PlayStation on the mail on Friday. She had a lot of fun with it for the first few levels, up until the difficulty level spiked through the roof and the game stopped being fun for her. She does enjoy some really difficult games sometimes, so for her the fact that it was a tough game wasn't the problem, the problem was that it was a crazy tough game that demands lots of trial and error while only giving you a limited number of continues.

I recall her saying something along the lines of "This is just bad game design. If a game is going to require this much trial and error you should have unlimited continues to figure it out with, and if the game is going to give you a limited number of continues then the game shouldn't require this much trial and error. Did they even play test this?" So Rayman went back on the shelf and the spousal unit went back to her second attempt at beating Parasite Eve, which took up the rest of her gaming time for the past week. She's just lucky she only spent $10 on the PlayStation version of Rayman and not $225 for the identical Atari Jaguar version. :lol:

Well, I think that pretty much covers everything for this week! I'm guessing we'll both be logging a fair bit more gaming time next week, but we'll see how it goes. Until next time, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

• Like 4