IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

Ahh, in addition to all that, my Uncle (who will be flying in Friday night) is a big Intellivision fan. We may have to hook up the INTV while he is here.... that would throw a wrench in the works. :)

I know there's bunch of games he loves on the Nintendo as well.... particularly the original Tecmo Bowl (which I do not have).... I do have Super Tecmo Bowl though, and that may see some play time.

We shall see!!!

• Like 3

If it seems to be a DOS emulator, I think the time goes here. If it is the original Doom ported to run on the 360 (but without any improvements), it probably goes in the other category. Thegoldenband will determine, and I'll take whatever leftover minutes there are. :)

• Like 2

I need a ruling. Does the version of Doom (original) included with the Doom 3 BFG edition count as a DOS game? I'm playing on X360 - wondering where to log it.

I'm not seeing anything concrete after a quick Google. Are there any differences (even tiny ones) from the original? It wouldn't surprise me if they were running it in a form of DOSBox; wouldn't surprise me if they weren't, and chose to optimize the code for the new platform.

(Hey, the XBox 360 is PPC -- does that mean it might be running the Mac version? :evil:)

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Asterix: 2 min

Circus Atari: 5 min

Dig Dug: 10 min

Phoenix: 5 min

Pitfall!: 8 min

Q-Bert: 3 min

Spacechase: 38 min

Wizard of Wor: 15 min

NES

Chip & Dale: 10 min

Duck Tales 2: 8 min

Mega Man 2: 10 min

Super Mario Bros: 20 min

Spacechase for the HSC Bronze Medal Finals, some more playing with the neighbours' kids, and some testing of a bunch of Competition Pro joysticks I have fixed. My soldering equipment and skills are atrocious, but thankfully, inside a Competition Pro, they are sufficient.

• Like 5

Atari 8-bit:

Computer War - 71 min.

WarGames - 18 min.

Nothing but HSC this week, and the majority of the time came from trying out 18 (!) different versions of Computer War, of which none works properly on my 130XE. Either they don't load at all, or they freeze in the middle of the game. Eventually I got a little bit of gameplay through emulation.
  • Like 5

Here are my times for this week (July 16th through 22nd) on classic systems:

Arcade:

Burger TIme - 3 min.

Crush Roller - 51 min.

Faster Harder More Challenging Q*Bert - 5 min.

Mario Bros. - 22 min.

Mr. TNT - 3 min.

Ms. Pac-Man - 18 min.

Pooyan - 15 min.

Turtles - 13 min.

Atari 7800:

Joust - 16 min.

Mario Bros. - 23 min.

Serpentine - 48 min. in 2 sessions

Channel F:

Pac-Man - 10 min.

NES:

Ice Climber - 7 min.

This week I played quite a variety of games, replaying some classic games. After replaying the Atari 7800 version of Mario Bros., I also played the arcade original, where I reached the bonus round after Slipice appears and the iceicle rounds afterwards. Crush Roller is another sibling of Pac-Man which I don't remember having tried before. It has quite a few different game elements, though it runs on the same hardware. There are only two enemies, but they are rather aggressive, and there's a different way to defeat them... to crush them with a roller, but after you've done this a few times, they get smarter and try to avoid it... quite successfully.

Looking at this and also Mr. TNT, which also runs on Pac-Man hardware, I come to the conclusions that other manufacturers didn't quite make it to make full use of Namco's hardware features, especially concerning sound. Mr. TNT only uses one timbre for all of the sound, and Crush Roller plays a somewhat cacophonic versoin of the Flea Waltz (as it's called in German). Apart from that I was quite successful in Pooyan, Turtles and Ms. Pac-Man.

Another highlight this week was the Atari 7800 version of Serpentine which has been converted from the Atari 8-bit version. It plays about the same as the Atari 8-bit and the C-64 versions, only the colors and graphics are a little different (especially concerning the frog and eggs), and the sound is different as well.#

Finally, Ice Climber was the pack-in of the NES when it was released here in 1987, and while it's not a "superhit game" as Donkey Kong is, it nicely showcases Nintendo's style which you can see in many of their games, at least the earlier ones, also including their arcade games.

• Like 6

ATARI 2600

Barnstorming - 1 minute

Beamrider - 15 minutes

Chopper Command - 4 minutes

Dark Cavern - 45 minutes

Dolphin - 20 minutes

H.E.R.O. - 8 minutes

Megamania - 12 minutes

Missile Command - 111 minutes

Plaque Attack - 8 minutes

Pressure Cooker - 13 minutes

River Raid - 7 minutes

Seaquest - 10 minutes

Sky Jinks - 4 minutes

Skiing - 10 minutes

Spider Fighter - 10 minutes

Stampede - 9 minutes

Many of these games I played for Activision Patches Summer Quest 2018, organized by Toiletunes.

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) Dark Cavern, Game 1 A/B, 295000 points, for Silver Medal Bracket Round 1 on 2600 NEW HSC Season 7

2) Dolphin, for Activision Patches Summer Quest 2018 Edition

• Like 5

I kinda tried to really mix it up this week...

NES

Excitebike - 30 min (I really haven't played this much since the 80s. I got this cartridge a little while back in some stuff a coworker gave me, but haven't played it much since then other than to test it to make sure it works. It does. Did pretty well on game A... racing against the clock... game B with other racers on the track was not as easy. I didn't bother with the construction mode.)

Sega Master System

Choplifter - 6 min (Man I forgot how hard this game is. Those anti-aircraft batteries are tough to kill. They shoot so fast. I did save a few captives, but nowhere near enough. Only time I see the later stages is in the attract mode.)

TurboGrafx-16

Blazing Lazers - 42 min (Did my little cheat thing and got a few extra men. Still didn't finish it. Did okay for a while but then started getting killed too quick. Out of practice...)

Legendary Axe (emulated via PSP) - 10 min (One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the TurboGrafx games I try on my PSP suffer from slowdown. Must just be the emulator because I know the PSP is powerful enough. Anyway, I think some of that is what caused my quick death in this game. On real hardware, I get much farther much easier.)

Magical Chase (emulated via PSP) - 30 min (Of course this one is emulated... anyway, got farther than I usually do. Was playing this while waiting on laundry to finish at the laundromat. A fun game, but bet it'd be better on the big screen with a better d-pad.)

Raiden - 11 min (Probably the hardest version of Raiden I own. Still a great game and with some advantages over some of the other versions. They may be easier, but I think this one is better.)

Jaguar

Raiden - 9 min (Given that this version of Raiden has no autofire and it's still easier than the Turbografx version is saying something. One day, when money isn't an issue, I'll get a custom made joystick with autofire for this game. I'd love to be able to play it with a real joystick for better control... the Jag's d-pad works fine, but it's gotta be better with a joystick. And autofire... man this game needs it.)

Tempest 2000 - 28 min (Tried the Tempest Plus mode with the AI bot floating around helping. Was a much easier game and got a good bit farther than before. The highest level I got to (don't know what number) changed the grid color from blue to red and had different music. Anyone know what that means? Was it like a round 2 or boss stage or something special?)

Genesis

Truxton - 15 min (Still need to tear apart my arcade stick and see what's going on inside. Mostly works fine, but every once in a while... anyway, didn't play for long. Great game.)

SNES

Raiden Trad - 28 min (This one reminds me a lot of the Jaguar version. Very similar music. This one is MUCH easier, though... why? Autofire. Got a decent ways into it, but noticed one thing in this that the TurboGrafx version doesn't have. Slowdown. Yeah... I know it plagues many SNES games and that's why there's not many shooters on the system, but still. Anyway, the sound is pretty good, but the explosions were somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes they sounded great with a lot of bass, and sometimes meh. Those explosions are one of the few areas where I think it outdoes the TG version.)

Saturn

Panzer Dragoon - 27 min (Was watching a Twitch streamer play Panzer Dragoon Saga and decided I wanted to go back and play this again. I just played until my first game over. Somewhere in level 4 I think. Had some continues, but didn't mess with them.)

Dreamcast

Sega Rally 2 - 32 min (Been a while since I played this much and my lack of practice was obvious. I was still able to get to the third stage in the Arcade Championship mode... but just barely. And once there I never made it to the first checkpoint. Game over yeah!)

Shenmue - 170 min (Played this some because of the recent thread asking if people actually liked it. It had been so long since I played it, that I couldn't really remember much. I played along using a walkthrough, and made some progress that I don't think I made before. I played part of the game three times because I'm not sure what I'm doing with the saves and continues and whatever. I'm really good at that part now, though. lol Anyway, thought it was interesting at one point I bought a soda and got a lucky can... something that could be turned in for a collectible figurine (in game) if I could connect my Dreamcast to the internet and log on to Shenmue Passport or whatever... can't do that anymore... for now the can will stay in my inventory. Think I can turn it in for something in game, too, but haven't investigated it yet. Was freaking out at the end of my play session because I was trying to race to the convenience store to buy some squid legs for the kitten. I made it just before they closed! lol)

• Like 6

3DO -

Tetsujin Iron Angel of The Apocalypse - 50min

Wolfenstein 3D - 40min

CDi -

Atlantis The Last Resort - 120min

Golden Oldies Vol I -

(Invaders - 10min)

The Apprentice - 40min

Sega Dreamcast -

Heretic - 35min

Prydon - 20min

Unsung - 130min

Witching Hour - 25min

I didnt manage to beat Atlantis on CDi as I hoped, I did finish the first zone tho so Im making progress :), I did however complete Unsung (a WWI total conversion of Wolfenstein 3D) on the Dreamcast as well as playing a bit of a few other games as well :)

• Like 6

PC - DOS

Doom 7

SNES

Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage 21

Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose 18

I decided that my time in Doom should go here. My rationale is that it was simply the old DOS Doom running on a more modern platform. It looked, sounded, and played like the old Doom on the PC. I played the first level.

My wife and I saw those SNES games for sale in a local gamestore and decided to go home and give them a quick try on the Everdrive. Of the two, I think I'd be more likely to play Buster again at some point in the future.

• Like 6

We've got a good mix of classic and modern gaming time to contribute to the trackers this week, and in an interesting turn of events both the misses and I wound up playing games produced by the legendary Koji Igarashi. :)

JInbHQh.jpg

Ineligible
3D Classics: Xevious (Nintendo 3DS) - 18 minutes
Alien Hominid (GameCube) - 216 minutes
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Nintendo 3DS) - 202 minutes
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate Demo (Nintendo 3DS) - 8 minutes
Killer7 (GameCube) - 533 minutes
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Nintendo 3DS) - 54 minutes
Resident Evil: Revelations (Nintendo 3DS) - 38 minutes

Game Boy Color
Tomb Raider: Starring Lara Croft - 8 minutes

PlayStation
Castlevania: Chronicles - 377 minutes
Parasite Eve - 35 minutes

Sega CD
Lethal Enforcers - 34 minutes

Sega Genesis
Lethal Enforcers (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 15 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,538 minutes (25 hours 38 minutes) [469 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
GameCube: 749 minutes
PlayStation: 412 minutes
Nintendo 3DS: 320 minutes
Sega CD: 34 minutes
Sega Genesis: 15 minutes
Game Boy Color: 8 minutes

In spite of my best intentions from last week to finish Tomb Raider on the Game Boy Color, that didn't happen. I did sit down with my Game Boy Color and start playing it Monday morning, but after about 5 minutes the joint pain issues I've been having in my left hand as of late flared up and I couldn't hold the Game Boy Color anymore; so I ended up shelving Tomb Raider for the rest of the week. After that I did a little comparison of the Sega CD and Genesis versions of Lethal Enforcers (which was no problem since I could just hold the light gun in my right hand) and after determining that they were relatively identical games I went on to spend a fair amount of time playing a couple of my all time favorite GameCube games. I can still hold a GameCube controller with no discomfort at all, and ended up doing a full play through of Alien Hominid and getting about halfway through Killer 7 before becoming distracted by some 3DS games.

In the meantime the misses finally completed her month long quest to beat Parasite Eve on the PlayStation, and after that accomplishment she mulled over what to play next for a day or so before I decided to surprise her with an early birthday present in the form of Castlevania: Chronicles. Her birthday was still a couple weeks away, but she needed something new to play and was really thrilled to receive it. She spent the remainder of the week playing through and beating Castlevania: Chronicles on Arranged mode then started a new game on Original mode as soon as she finished the Arranged game. Needless to say she she's been having a lot of fun with this rare remake of the original Castlevania!

Watching her play through Castlevania: Chronicles got me in the mood to play some Castlevania as well, so after testing out how my hand and wrist joints were going to tolerate holding my New 3DS XL with a game of 3D Classics: Xevious and some Raid Mode in Resident Evil: Revelations (which thankfully went quite well and was a pain-free experience) I ended up downloading a copy of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on my 3DS. For those not in the know, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is the latest game from Koji Igarashi; the producer Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as well as Castlevania: Chronicles and most of the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS Castlevania games. To say that Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is a triumphant spiritual sequel to Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse on the NES would be a massive understatement. I didn't think it was even possible but Bloodstained improves on Castlevania III in almost every way, while still looking and playing just like the original game that it was inspired by.

It only took me one evening to pay through and beat Bloodstained, but fortunately there's plenty of replay value thanks to a total of 5 different endings to the game, an extra story to play through after completing the main game, and quite a few little unlockables as well. This may very well be the best $10 I've ever spent on a digital game! I did try a few other digital games from the 3DS eShop, the demo for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, but both were rather unremarkable and paled in comparison to the greatness of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.

Well, I think that about covers everything for this week! Looking ahead to next week it's anyone's guess what we'll be playing around here, but I'm sure I'll be back to tell you all about it a week from today. :lol: Until next time, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

NES:

Double Dribble (40 minutes)

Duck Hunt (20 minutes)

Mario 2 (20 minutes)

Tetris (60 minutes)

N64:

All Star Baseball 99 (45 minutes)

Knockout Kings 2000 (180 minutes)

Mario Kart 64 (120 minutes)

VCS:

Asteroids (20 minutes)

Busy week with family in town... lower numbers than usual for the Brand family, but quality time nonetheless.

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 29, running from July 16 - 22. We logged 3310 minutes of eligible play, playing 92 games on a total of 22 systems.

Top 10:

1. Castlevania: Chronicles (PlayStation) - 377

2. Knockout Kings 2000 (N64) - 180

3. Shenmue (Dreamcast) - 170

4. Battlezone (Atari 2600) - 156

5. Unsung (Dreamcast) - 130

6. Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - 124

7. Mario Kart 64 (N64) - 120

7. Atlantis: The Last Resort (Philips CD-i) - 120

9. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - 116

10. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 111

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Battlezone (Atari 2600) - 156

2. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 111

3. Computer War (Atari 8-bit) - 71

4. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 56

5. Crush Roller (Arcade) - 51

6. Serpentine (Atari 7800) - 48

7. Dark Cavern (Atari 2600) - 45

8. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 40

8. Gyruss (Atari 5200) - 40

10. Spacechase (Atari 2600) - 38

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (680)

2. Dreamcast (412)

2. PlayStation (412)

4. N64 (345)

5. SNES (338)

6. NES/Famicom (225)

7. Philips CD-i (170)

8. Arcade (130)

9. TG-16/PC Engine (93)

10. 3DO (90)

In a week with many different platforms played, the top pre-NES game, Battlezone, leads the VCS to the system crown. But it's Castlevania: Chronicles that's our overall #1, bringing the PlayStation into a tie with the Dreamcast for the second-place platform.

Meanwhile, a rare absence from the pre-NES top 10 for Kaboom, which just misses the cut (it would've been #11).

Finally, our #7 game Mario Kart 64 enters the 1000-minute club, blue-shelling its way into the 334th spot with 1014 minutes logged to date.

• Like 7