IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

So is this just an update of the Atari flex board?

Not familiar with that term. This board can do:

128K + 16K RAM or EPROM

256K + 16K RAM or EPROM

512K + 16K RAM or EPROM

There is also a "hidden" feature, that allows for RAM/EPROM bankswitching, between 2 x 16K banks @ $4000. :cool:

• Like 1

Sorry, its the Atari Supercart. Its called a Flex cart on all of the mechanicals, schem's and documents from Atari so I'm used to saying its a Flex cart. Well, we're windowing in same location, so it should'nt be a problem at all... Is there a way I could get a copy of the rom so I could test out? PM me if you can, thanks.

Not familiar with that term. This board can do:

128K + 16K RAM or EPROM

256K + 16K RAM or EPROM

512K + 16K RAM or EPROM

There is also a "hidden" feature, that allows for RAM/EPROM bankswitching, between 2 x 16K banks @ $4000. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

More progress... Mark got back from Germany and did some updates to the PLD to fix an issue we were having with loading the full 32K bios up. He also updated his BIOS with some new features. things are moving along. We even have a test for the SIO port. Some of the needed components to support connection from the POKEY to the SIO port aren't on the test boards right now, so the test fails, but thought I'd show a screen shot anyway. The Yamaha is communicating with the PLD. The test is running, I will be adding the remaining components to connect the Yamaha into the audio circuit this weekend, so hopefully some audio will be following, then I'll be getting a fully populated unit down to Perry so he can do some work with some code he's been working on.

post-23-0-62044800-1541738114_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-47861200-1541738121_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-80325400-1541738130_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Don't know why that does that with the photos, they are correct on my computer and correct on the post I just did to Facebook and the thumbnails were correct, but... dunno :-/

Browsers don't obey EXIF data in photos, including which way around is "up". If you are taking shots with an iPhone for example, "up" is when the Home button is at the bottom of the phone. I know this as I helped test our apps in my previous job for reading and processing it correctly when displaying images.

• Like 3

Thanks! Good to know... I'll have to figure out a way to photo and video upside down in the future

Browsers don't obey EXIF data in photos, including which way around is "up". If you are taking shots with an iPhone for example, "up" is when the Home button is at the bottom of the phone. I know this as I helped test our apps in my previous job for reading and processing it correctly when displaying images.

• Like 1

So Mark just made a few adjustments to help with the PHI2 line going to the chips and they are running more stable now. I did some internal XM BIOS tests but also did a live game test with Perry Donkey Kong XM version that doesn't have the internal POKEY in it and requires the XM or XBoard...

I also tested the High score function as well. Sound has some distortion and I think I know where the issue is so I'm going to change out some caps tonight and I'm going to fully populate the rest of the Yamaha section as well.

IMG_7217.MOV

• Like 11

So Mark just made a few adjustments to help with the PHI2 line going to the chips and they are running more stable now. I did some internal XM BIOS tests but also did a live game test with Perry Donkey Kong XM version that doesn't have the internal POKEY in it and requires the XM or XBoard...

I also tested the High score function as well. Sound has some distortion and I think I know where the issue is so I'm going to change out some caps tonight and I'm going to fully populate the rest of the Yamaha section as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_7217.MOV

Sounds like Atari just couldn't figure out PHI2 timing to save their life. Lot of issues with the 8-bit computer line.

• Like 4

Or agree on how attempt to produce a good quality video output :)

Fixed that for you, lol. :P

That's not really fair, I guess. The 800 has excellent stock S-video and pretty clean composite. It's too bad Atari didn't at least include the same jack and at least wire it up for composite on the 400. Alas. :)

• Like 2

Fixed that for you, lol. :P

That's not really fair, I guess. The 800 has excellent stock S-video and pretty clean composite. It's too bad Atari didn't at least include the same jack and at least wire it up for composite on the 400. Alas. :)

Or perhaps I should have stated: "To be consistent with the video output provided across all the Atari product line." And yes the 800 really set what should have been the standard from that point forward, as far as monitor support and quality of video output was concerned. But every model that followed it, either got mucked up, or the port was completely left out (i.e., 400, XEGS, 7800).

Well enough of that... time to get back on topic :) .

Judging by Curt's recent posts, the XM is really coming together, being tweaked into submission. Probably won't be long now before we see these sitting on the shelf in the AA Store.

• Like 8

Judging by Curt's recent posts, the XM is really coming together, being tweaked into submission. Probably won't be long now before we see these sitting on the shelf in the AA Store.

I can't wait. My Beef Drop and Froggie carts (both "XM Enhanced" TIA versions) could sure use an upgrade.

I am trying to save the Pokeys... (I did splurge on a Pokey enhanced Pacman Collection, though!) ;-)

• Like 5

Just curious—will the XM be available to order after it's completed?

I've followed this project somewhat during its development, and I know there have ups and downs and delays and whatnot, so I'm not sure if the plan is to make only enough to cover the people who preordered these or if units will be available for sale after those preorders are fulfilled.

Just curious—will the XM be available to order after it's completed?

Yes.

Quoting Curt:

"...Those who want to buy one after pre-orders are filled - do not PM me, I'm not taking orders, making lists or any such things.

When they go on sale they'll be through the AA store. There will be a two week notice on when they'll be available so word can get around.
Its first come first serve, no lists or such."
Further, there are 180 pre-orders and 500 sets made. So more than enough will be available to all for purchasing.
  • Like 8

It has been so long. How much is the costs for one of these?

Within one of the previously provided links, Curt states:

"Tooling was very expensive, between the tooling, running off 500 sets of plastics and having the custom aluminum name plates made it was $18K in total, the 180 orders just covered that, everything else is coming out of pocket [due] to bad math on my part. Any new orders will have to be at $149 to cover all of the costs...

I wanted this to look and feel like as if Atari had made these themselves in the 1984 era, so I went top shelf with the case and nameplates."

• Like 1

Thanks! Good to know... I'll have to figure out a way to photo and video upside down in the future

If you are using an iPhone for example, when you go into Photos app, if you are holding the device with the Home button at the bottom, the default thumbnail will demonstrate exactly how it will show in a web browser. You can actually rotate the photo in the Photos app to be correctly orientated in this stance, so it then looks okay when posting. Usually what I do before posting to FB from my phone to prevent photos being sideways.