IGNORED

Apple IIe - Not possible to use 5 1/4 card in slot 5?

eightbit

adt pro will transfer over audio and there is apple II game server online

http://asciiexpress.net/gameserver/

that is not disk images its like loading a binary from tape

Tried this tonight as well. I guess I have been living in the dark. This stuff is absolutely awesome. Amazing that there are such easy ways to get software running on the Apple II....even if I didn't have a floppy disk or drive for that matter. I know the concept is simple (I used to do the same thing for the most part with Datasette stuff on the Commodores...and doing stuff like this on the CoCo 3) but I am amazed at the quickness of it all. I mean, loading Ms. Pacman from gameserver to Apple II in 12 seconds is just incredible to me!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Just for fun I used ADTpro to bootstrap Applewin emulator. And then write out a ProDOS disk and then send, again via ADT, a disk image. It a roundabout way of doing things as opposed to drag'n'dropping an image. But it worked!

I also set up my old original BBS on one Applewin instance. And then ProTerm or Ascii Express on another instance. I could connect both together and send files between them at 300 baud. Took like an hour or two for 1 single disk. That's fun!

I made a few disks today using this. Incredibly awesome and fast.

Do offline versions of the disks converted to audio exist for download, as well as a player to play them back (if they are not wav and some proprietary format)? It would be awesome to have a collection stored offline and run a 3.5MM audio cable from a PC sound card to the Apple II and use the PC to play back the audio images and create disks without having to do it through an online server.

Either way, this works and works well. Oddly (and ironically) enough I can only create them using my duaghter's iPhone. I always get a checksum error with my Galaxy S5.

Right click on the WAV link to download the .wav file. There's one for each format/speed permutation. Or create your own: https://github.com/datajerk/c2t. I'd use c2t with a cache of .dsks before caching a lot of .wavs.

Re: S5 issues. Make sure volume is up, phone is in vibrate mode (system sounds are a killer), try both 8000 (8KFI) and 9600 (HIFI) BPS speed. The overall download/write time is not that much different between 8000 and 9600. 9600 uses asymmetrical waves that some players do not like (I know of a fix, just no time). 8000 (symmetrical) should work on any system that does not alter the .wav or filter the output. The S5 could be doing other types of mods to the output.

• Like 1

Tried this tonight as well. I guess I have been living in the dark. This stuff is absolutely awesome. Amazing that there are such easy ways to get software running on the Apple II....even if I didn't have a floppy disk or drive for that matter. I know the concept is simple (I used to do the same thing for the most part with Datasette stuff on the Commodores...and doing stuff like this on the CoCo 3) but I am amazed at the quickness of it all. I mean, loading Ms. Pacman from gameserver to Apple II in 12 seconds is just incredible to me!

The speed comes from a combination of compression and custom 8000/9600 BPS code. The average effective download rate for the diskserver based on ~1500 disks measured is just under 19000 BPS. The native Apple II 1333 BPS code is used to boot strap my faster code and compression. Details here: https://github.com/datajerk/c2t/raw/master/article/article.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you! That is quite a contribution to the Apple community. I downloaded it and will be using it in the future to convert some disks.

I think it's just that my phone headphone jack is screwed up. This works fine on my wife's phone (same mode), a samsung tab a, and my daughter's iPhone SE. As always, I am the one in the household with broken crap ;)

Would there be an x86 executable to convert .dsk images to .wav format? I don't have an environment set up for compiling source ATM.

And will this work through the new iphone X or devices that don't have an analog 3.5mm output? I ask this because of any conversions that may be done with these newfangled(!) connectors. Do they cause any sort of digital aliasing?

---

Projects like this are the #3 reason why I like the Apple II platform. So many things to discover, so many artful tricks and ways of doing things. NASA and JPL regularly do things in the same flavor to add new capability and functionality to their hardware. Things like increased storage space, data compression, higher data rates, higher camera resolution, longer distance communication, more precise thruster firings, or combining 2 instruments to "invent" a 3rd virtual instrument.

Edited by Keatah

Would there be an x86 executable to convert .dsk images to .wav format? I don't have an environment set up for compiling source ATM.

And will this work through the new iphone X or devices that don't have an analog 3.5mm output? I ask this because of any conversions that may be done with these newfangled(!) connectors. Do they cause any sort of digital aliasing?

---

Projects like this are the #3 reason why I like the Apple II platform. So many things to discover, so many artful tricks and ways of doing things. NASA and JPL regularly do things in the same flavor to add new capability and functionality to their hardware. Things like increased storage space, data compression, higher data rates, higher camera resolution, longer distance communication, more precise thruster firings, or combining 2 instruments to "invent" a 3rd virtual instrument.

No idea on the iPhone X. I've been too lazy to get one. Hopefully someone else can confirm. I have been meaning to test BT audio with an adapter on the II side to convert the BT to analog. But alas, no time.