IGNORED

Emerson Arcadia 2001 US Rarity order

JUST today completed the set, with GST arriving in the mail this afternoon. Your rarity list looks correct to me, as I have seen GST a couple of times but did not pull the trigger due to insane price. I missed out on the Kansas stash a couple years back. Spiders and Red Clash I have seen exactly once over the years in complete form and I snatched those up immediately. Same seller listing both on the same day about a year ago. I had actually sold off my Spiders cart a couple of years ago because I had more or less given up on a complete set, boxed or otherwise. So happy to have this set now. My set is all CIB.

Sean

IMG_7705.JPG

Edited by Tombstone
  • Like 3

On 3/23/2021 at 11:52 PM, Tombstone said:

JUST today completed the set, with GST arriving in the mail this afternoon. Your rarity list looks correct to me, as I have seen GST a couple of times but did not pull the trigger due to insane price. I missed out on the Kansas stash a couple years back. Spiders and Red Clash I have seen exactly once over the years in complete form and I snatched those up immediately. Same seller listing both on the same day about a year ago. I had actually sold off my Spiders cart a couple of years ago because I had more or less given up on a complete set, boxed or otherwise. So happy to have this set now. My set is all CIB.

Sean

IMG_7705.JPG

My congratulations on this truly impressive accomplishment!:)

You're now one of very, very few to have done this. I hope any posts of mine were of value, and your experiences matched my own. There might be 10 collectors total, including us, who've gotten all 22. 

I have to ask: do you think it's possible that US copies of Funky Fish and Pleiades are out there, waiting to be found, maybe even sold back in the day?

• Like 1

Thank you! Much appreciated. Yes, probably without you even knowing knowing it you have helped grow my interest in more obscure systems. I LOVE the box art on the Arcadia games for some reason. I just think they are really cool. You and Stupus are responsible for my obsession for this system. Is it bad that I just keep staring at my completed Arcadia collection now that it is whole (presumably)???

Mark has also gotten me irreversibly hooked on the RCA Studio II and the Channel F. Mark and I, I think, have the only boxed copies of Democart 2.

Regarding #4 and #22...It would not surprise me, if they are out there in extremely limited numbers. Atari carts have shown up in the past 10-15 years, albeit ones from 3rd party developers, that no one even knew about. The Arcadia is so obscure to most, that if someone had one of those two they may not even know what it is. Could be sitting on a shelf (or more likely in a storage box, as we speak. 10 years ago I wouldn't have cared, but honestly if one of those two showed up now I would probably sh*t myself.

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/6/2018 at 6:10 PM, Blazing Lazers said:

After I finished the full US set some time ago (which I do NOT recommend going for- you'll be at it for years) I ordered all the games by their rarity/ease of obtaining. I want to see if others here agree with it, and to give a guide to anybody else that might go for the full US set. 22 confirmed releases, two possible ones. Emerson only seems to have sold the games and system for a limited time, and a lot of the theoretical supply of most of the games vanished. 8-10 game lots, often still sealed, are quite common, having been sold by discounters that way. Sometimes a less common game will be among a lot of commons, and can justify buying the whole lot. In order from rarest to least rare:

• Unconfirmed releases: These two could have had copies made, given the rarity of other known releases and the existence of at least one game not even mentioned in the brochure included with all games. Their existence in Arcadia 2001 form cannot be ruled out. Both would be equally rare if or when copies turn up. #4: Funky Fish and #22: Pleiades.

Confirmed releases:

The "Holy Trinity"- these three are some of the rarest NTSC games for ANY system, and often go YEARS in between copies showing up, especially complete. Expect to pay a few hundred if you can even find a copy of any of these three.

1. #12: Red Clash- listed as "Coming Soon" in the brochures, and evidently saw a very limited retail release. Based on talks with fellow collectors, there may only be around 20 or so known copies in existence. Not the most common game for any of the other Arcadia systems, either.
  2. #24: Spiders- not even mentioned in any catalogs, brochures, or promotional materials, but does exist, and at least one copy has surfaced with retail stickers. Loose carts do seem to turn up once a year or so on Ebay.
  3. #21: Grand Slam Tennis- previously acknowledged as the rarest US release, multiple NOS copies turned up in a farm in rural Kansas in 2017. They had been purchased along with many other Arcadia games from a closing toy store long ago, and left sitting for decades. The seller even joined up here, and several lucky collectors were able to fill holes in their sets. Still extremely rare.

Stealth rarity:

1. #16: Soccer. I got this one in a lot, and in okay condition. I have not seen a complete copy up for sale, by itself or in a lot, in quite a while. Not many loose carts, either. If you go for a full set, make this one a priority, and be willing to buy a lot entirely for this title. I don't imagine a Soccer game sold well in the US market. This title will be surprisingly tough to find. Likely the 4th rarest US release.

Rare: These are worth buying a lot just to get copies of, and open auctions will provide you with bidding competition.

1. #6: Brain Quiz- does tend to turn up in lots, but not often by itself. One copy recently sold for $100, possibly because of the recent interest in the Maxit game on the cart.
  2. #18: Star Chess- Tough to find in good shape. Or at all, outside of the occasional lot.
  3. #9: Space Mission- you'd think the game featured on the system box front would be fairly common, but it isn't.

Very Uncommon: One or more of these can be part of a lot and any of these will turn up multiple times per year on Ebay.

1. #10: Missile War
  2. #7: Space Vultures
  3. #17: Breakaway
  4. #11: Ocean Battle
  5. #13: 3D Bowling
  6. #14: American Football

Common and Guaranteed to be part or even all of any Arcadia 2001 lot. The following can also easily be found for sale at any time. They are equally common.

1. Cat Trax
  2. Space Attack
  3. Escape
  4. Space Raiders
  5. Alien Invaders
  6. Baseball
  7. Capture
  8. Tanks A Lot
  9. Jungler

Edited by Ron_Mattingly
Pleiades does exist, I had one regret selling it!!!
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...