IGNORED

HD DVD and counting...

F34R

I was at a flea market today, not really searching for anything in particular. I walked upon a HD DVD box. Asked the guy if it works, etc. I know I didn't need it at all, but it was CIB. All paperwork, and the included movie was in there as well. Sealed. I bought the CIB and Batman Begins (hd dvd). So I got two movies and the player for... $23. :) Even the universal remote and unwrapped batteries were in the box. hehe.

I get home, hook it up, use the install dvd on the 360, get it up and running. Just sitting it on a 1080p computer monitor (where I do game capture stuff), and it looks really decent. Kinda "excited" for having it now. He also said he had a huge stack of HD DVD's a week ago, and sold them all for $1 each. :( I missed that. So, I don't know so much that I want to build a library of movies, but I might by a few; not sure yet. I have a bunch of blu-rays and just at 100 UHD movies now. So, I might look for something that was only released on HD DVD? Any suggestions would be great.

The HD-DVD exclusive list is about extinct. I upgraded my last few last summer when Kino Lorber published standalone releases on Blu-Ray of the four Bob Hope movies that got released in pairs by BCI on HD-DVD years ago. Per the list at the Home Theater Forum, these are it as of 2018.

City Lights (1)

• The Ten

Rhino (1)

• James Taylor: A MusiCares Person of the Year Tribute

Universal (20)

• Accepted
  • American Me
  • Balls of Fury
  • Breach
  • Carlito's Way: Rise to Power
  • Evening
  • The Getaway (1992)
  • Half Baked
  • The Hitcher (2007)
  • Hollywoodland
  • In Good Company
  • The Interpreter
  • Mr. Bean's Holiday
  • Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
  • The Pianist
  • The River (1984)
  • Talk to Me
  • The War
  • The Wedding Date
  • White Noise 2

Warner (3)

• The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)
  • Smallville - Season 5
  • Troy (Theatrical Cut)

Weinstein/Genius (2)

• School for Scoundrels (2006)
  • Wolf Creek

Nothing else has came out since the end of last August (One of those Bob Hope movies that I mentioned was the latest title to leave this list). Also be wary of Warner Brothers releases, since they've been dying en masse of disc rot in recent years. They'll replace them with a Blu-Ray where one exists that's currently available though, I believe.

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

We had a 360 HD DVD player in my living room during college, hooked up to a 1080i 50 inch project TV. It was glorious. We were poor... but we had the best movie set up of all our friends. I have considered buying one of these because the movies as soooo cheap on ebay.

I have the last 360 variant released, the E model. Will the HD DVD player work on all models?

Pretty surprised to see on the list:

Accepted

Ball of Fury

Half Baked

Nutty Prof 2

The Hitcher

Wolf Creek

Comedy and horror movies typically do fairly well on DVD/BD sales.

I have a pretty large collection of HD-DVD. Sad thing about these disks is that many were manufactured with flaws that caused a type of rot especially Warner disks. Basically you'll be watching a movie and it'll stop playing or sometimes just not play at all. Lame. I have several I've found over the years that have stopped working. I wouldn't put a whole lot of money towards these.

Yeah, I've been reading up on that. Seems to be isolated to Warner movies only. That is a large chunk of them though. I might still consider it and just stay away from the Warner movies, although it would be tough to avoid them in lots.

Via wiki below and I saw similar statements from AV Forums:

Many HD-DVDs, especially those produced by Warner Bros. between 2006 and 2008 developed disc rot not long after production. Disc rot was also more common on double-sided HD-DVDs than on single-sided HD-DVDs

Also, looks like I could get a dedicated HD DVD Player for not much more than the 360 add on.

• 1 year later...

I had one of these and still have a stack of HD-DVDs.

They looked pretty awesome and the menu system seemed to work better than that other format. :)

Agreed, I have a nice size stack but, I might be selling them off now... I was a big supporter of HD-DVD back when it came out and had tons of movies at one point. I still have my Xbox 360 HD-DVD player that I got brand new... but, it's stitting in the box now...