IGNORED

Atari 80 column software/hardware

hueyjones70

16 minutes ago, JamesD said:

Huge difference between hyperbole and a straw man argument
Here is what I replied to:

Note that in the same post you claim is a straw man, I actually refute his original claim, not some made up position that was not his to begin with.
Hence, it is not a straw man argument.  Go back to your high school debate teacher and ask them.

You referred to a different type of software entirely (a language written for other machines, predominantly rather than a computer operating system). You did so in an attempt to refute the main point (to wit: the Atari OS circa 1979 was the first microcomputer OS with a self-contained, consistent and extensible set of device handlers which can be used by any other software that runs on top of it).  You still haven't refuted that point.

You reference to MS BASIC is your strawman.

You're welcome. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

You referred to a different type of software entirely (a language written for other machines, predominantly rather than a computer operating system). You did so in an attempt to refute the main point (to wit: the Atari OS circa 1979 was the first microcomputer OS with a self-contained, consistent and extensible set of device handlers which can be used by any other software that runs on top of it).  You still haven't refuted that point.

You reference to MS BASIC is your strawman.

You're welcome. 

My apologies.  I did not intend to misrepresent his original statement, just to point out that the idea of replaceable drivers for devices predates the Atari.
Microsoft BASIC clearly is not a full OS (a fact I previously admitted).

CP/M and FLEX (which I already mentioned) are operating systems and I/O is handled through device drivers which could be added/changed, and you could add additional commands to both operating systems.  FLEX pretty much duplicates (though not quite exactly) the calls used by CP/M, but has entirely different commands. 
CP/M 86 is a re-implementation of CP/M for the 8086, and it's pretty much what MS-DOS was based on.
If MS-DOS doesn't measure up to AtariOS, they I guess neither of those would as they work very much like MS-DOS, and that would mean I haven't refuted that point, and I apologize for upsetting everyone.

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, hueyjones70 said:

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong with the Atariwriter+80. I have downloaded the zipped file, extracted the ATR, saved it to a micro card for the Sdrive, when I attempt to load the file the computer makes two of the clicking noises that indicate loading a disk then nothing. I have downloaded several other programs using the same process and on the same card that work flawlessly. I have tried on a 130XE and an 800XL with the same results. Any suggestions, is there another source besides the one in this forum (post#37). I know that others say they have successfully run the program on real hardware and Both of my computers will run the program from an actual disk drive but the ATR is giving me no joy.

I have discovered that my inability to run the Atariwriter+80 on the Sdrive2 was because of some fault with the Sdrive2, probably associated with reading double density files. I finally tried the program on another type of Sdrive and it worked correctly.

• 1 year later...

The 512K memory upgrade, operating in the 256K mode will allow an 800XL equipped with Omniview80 to run the 80 column version of Atari Writer Plus. I also have a 1200XL that has been modified with the 800XL OS and Omniview 80 that will run AW+80.

After posting this I found where Nezgar had posted similar information.

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2021 at 7:03 AM, hueyjones70 said:

The 512K memory upgrade, operating in the 256K mode will allow an 800XL equipped with Omniview80 to run the 80 column version of Atari Writer Plus. I also have a 1200XL that has been modified with the 800XL OS and Omniview 80 that will run AW+80.

After posting this I found where Nezgar had posted similar information.

Are you saying that a 1200XL with Omniview 80 can run Atariwriter Plus with 64K of RAM?