IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Wow. I've not been able to make this work. I installed -dev (ver 2.8 something). What is the exact command you have to put into autostart.sh?

I'd have to look at the file to know for sure and I don't have the Pi with me. I do remember on mine that the autostart.sh file had just one line of code in it. Insert --screenrotate 1 or --screenrotate 3 immediately right after emulationstation. Also make sure that there's a space between emulationstation and --screenrotate. By default I believe there is something commented out after emulationstation and if you put the --screenrotate after that, it won't do anything.

Edited by Ramses

New titles:

1) Golden Tee

2) Final fight

3) Space Invaders

4) Mortal Kombat

5) Karate champ

later

1.) Frat Boys & barflys

2.) Meh.

3.) Not really new

4.) the only good game on this list

5.) Why? This game kinda sucks.

What would have made a much better list:

1. Ms. Pac-Man/variants/Pengo

2. Donkey Kong/Jr/3

3. Popeye/Mario Bros/Kunk Fu Master

4. Driving Cab with Pole Position/Super Sprint

5. Simpsons/X-Men/Captain America & Avengers

• Like 1

Doesn't ruin it for me :P

On that note, none of those games sound appealing to me. Yes I'm a big Space Invaders fanatic, but not enough to get the large Arcade1up cab for it. Yes I've already had a handful of real arcade cabs of SI in my life but that's not my criticism of it. If it came in tiny MyArcade size, I'd bite. :)

I'd totally spring for a "Multi-Williams" Arcade 1up though with a correct Defender/Stargate Control panel! (and extra joystick for robotron/joust) I think it'd be perfect for it. Yes there's already a full-blown Multi-Williams out there, but that's arcade quality and costs a couple grand. I'm talking Arcade1up price level with cheaper materials. It'd work fine! It's too bad they blew their Williams load with.. of all things, the Rampage cab. But if we could get the standard Defender/Stargate/Joust/Robotron/Bubbles going with artwork and CP layout, I'd bite in a heartbeat.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3

I think there's some (mistaken, in my opinion) feeling that the Major Motion Picture called RAMPAGE would increase the interest in the old arcade game. I saw a modern Rampage (with modern graphics) at Dave n Busters once, but it's not like I go there a lot.

The traditional Williams set from where I sit is

Defender

Stargate

Joust

Robotron

Bubbles

Sinistar

just like the old software collection, which I loved to bits.

they showed dig dug again next to ghosts n goblins:

digdug1up.jpg

pacmanbar.jpg

last year, there was dig dug (+2), joust and qbert.

you could probably MOD the joust one into a mini title

williams cabinet - joust, robotron, sinistar, bubbles. [moon patrol]

bartops.jpg

no price points yet.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

New titles:

1) Golden Tee

2) Final fight

3) Space Invaders

4) Mortal Kombat

5) Karate champ

later

Not too impressed with this lineup. I know a lot of people are looking forward to Mortal Combat, and I was hooked on Space Invaders, but Final Fight was a carry over from Round 1. Round 2 should have brought out the bigs guns - shoot for the stars - if you want to keep your first rounders interested, and continue to bring new buyers into the fold. Ms Pac-Man, Donkey Kong etc.

But Golden Tee? Really? If it wasn't for the those Arcade Legends machines I never would have heard of it. Were these golf games popular?

I think there's some (mistaken, in my opinion) feeling that the Major Motion Picture called RAMPAGE would increase the interest in the old arcade game. I saw a modern Rampage (with modern graphics) at Dave n Busters once, but it's not like I go there a lot.

The traditional Williams set from where I sit is

Defender

Stargate

Joust

Robotron

Bubbles

Sinistar

just like the old software collection, which I loved to bits.

I have no idea who would have thought the Rampage movie would have stirred up interest in anything, including the Rampage movie. (OK, it wasn't that bad - you can't hate a flick that has a giant monkey flipping the bird - my 10 year old was on the floor). Played the game at D&B on Saturday, its a nice update but essentially the same game as yesteryear.

But Golden Tee? Really? If it wasn't for the those Arcade Legends machines I never would have heard of it. Were these golf games popular?

The only place those games were popular was dive bars and frat/college rec rooms.

Also - with the quality of the trackballs on the Centipede/12 in 1 units already being suspect, and Golden Tee relying completely on a free spinning oversized trackball in the original unit with no drag or stuttering, that one will be an unmitigated disaster.

• Like 4

I kinda like the "wall cabs" Not for me but neat idea.

Also...Golden Tee was EVEYWHERE. Diners, bars, laundromats, bowling alleys, etc It's probably the most hardcore surviving "arcade" thing of the last 20 years, along with claw machines. They made multiple versions, They made home versions. The issue isn't if there isn't HUGE interest in it, there is. The issue is....hasn't that interest already been covered?

Guess 1up is guessing not.

Also...Golden Tee was EVEYWHERE. Diners, bars, laundromats, bowling alleys, etc It's probably the most hardcore surviving "arcade" thing of the last 20 years, along with claw machines. They made multiple versions, They made home versions. The issue isn't if there isn't HUGE interest in it, there is. The issue is....hasn't that interest already been covered?

Guess 1up is guessing not.

Maybe its a regional thing? 'Cause I can tell you I never saw one on Long Island or the surrounding areas back in '89 and onward. Now I wasn't hanging out in arcades much back then but enough so that I played Neo Geo's and they were all over the types of places you mentioned (2 slots, Big Reds, Gold cabs, conversions), but no Golden Tee's.

Maybe its a regional thing? 'Cause I can tell you I never saw one on Long Island or the surrounding areas back in '89 and onward. Now I wasn't hanging out in arcades much back then but enough so that I played Neo Geo's and they were all over the types of places you mentioned (2 slots, Big Reds, Gold cabs, conversions), but no Golden Tee's.

I've been visiting Arcades since roughly 81-82, and honestly, I never saw a Golden Tee IN an arcade.

They were always in random other places, as I mentioned Bars, Pool Halls, Bowling Alleys, Pizza joints, etc.

Also - I'm from just north of you in Boston. Possibly regional, but we're almost in the same region.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

I've been visiting Arcades since roughly 81-82, and honestly, I never saw a Golden Tee IN an arcade.

They were always in random other places, as I mentioned Bars, Pool Halls, Bowling Alleys, Pizza joints, etc.

Also - I'm from just north of you in Boston. Possibly regional, but we're almost in the same region.

I miss Boston, had family in MA for years so regular outings to Faneuil Hall when we'd visit were the thing. Great pizza there, but I can't remember the name. Also used to get my fireworks from the goombas not too far from there behind a produce market (how we never got stabbed I have no idea).

I miss Boston, had family in MA for years so regular outings to Faneuil Hall when we'd visit were the thing. Great pizza there, but I can't remember the name. Also used to get my fireworks from the goombas not too far from there behind a produce market (how we never got stabbed I have no idea).

Pizzeria Regina

The old Italian guys at BBall courts behind Mike's Pastry selling fireworks. yep - a staple of middle school hijinx for Boston kids.

You wouldn't have gotten stabbed. You're white. Boston was pretty messed up back then. The North End is all high priced yuppie condos now.

These were reasonably common in Germany (at least, that's where I most remember seeing them; other countries had them as well, but not in the same numbers) at the time these games were current. They were awful to actually play.

Here's the conundrum: if you're going to wall-mount a video game, one of the reasons to do so is to save space, and one of the ways to do that is to use a smaller monitor. Since we now have LCDs that are a fraction of the depth of CRTs, that part, at least, is a non-issue.

However, one of the other things that has to be taken into account are the controls. The German cabinets did this by mostly having them sprout directly from the front of the cabinet, à la Japanese cocktail cabinets; this is what made them horrible to play on. Granted, it looks as though the Arcade1up units are going for a more traditional layout, but that still means a control panel jutting out some distance from the front, which defeats the purpose of saving space if you're going to provide enough room for players' hands.

Maybe they can do it better, but there's a reason why these never caught on everywhere. Apologies for the lousy photos; in amongst an apparent mania for people building these devices for home use, finding a picture of ones from the time was more difficult than I'd expected.

xmrGiP9.jpg

kcuBYqo.jpg

For comparison, here're a couple with the control panels arranged more conventionally. Not a lot of room for your hands, though that may be less of an issue for Pac-Man and LadyBug than for other games.

DkZMk7I.jpg

0HQoABn.jpg

• Like 3

Well...I'm from Connecticut. Of course Long Island is kind of it's own world..... :P