IGNORED

Night Driver for Android review

LS650

Had to double check my filters were still working... yep, didn't accidentally stray from the friendly confines of Classic Gaming. lol Oh, and it's Night Driver... but may as well be called Night Racer. :lol:

Was there ever a single iota of a snowballs chance in hell this was going to be any good? C'mon now. :dunce:

• Like 1

:lolblue: Android Police reviewers are such terrible writers.

"Honestly, I had a pretty tough time finding anything to like about Night Driver. The music is annoying, the controls are awful, the gameplay is boring and monotonous, and on top of that, the monetization is outrageous."

Then he gives it four stars. :lol:

Edit: Oops, looks like the Google Play average was 4 stars at the time the review was written. Now it has 2.5 stars, which seems more correct.

I stand by my diss of bad Android Police writing, though.

• Like 1

That first link up top, ugh. Overkill monetization coupled with boring courses and limited variations or things to do along with a good sized money curve to upgrade and level the car. Not touching that anymore, a big shame as it looked interesting.

sure is a shame, an outrun like driving game (since outrun's non racing style is like a successor to night driver to begin with) with neat looking backgrounds and a great soundtrack would be the type of game I'd like to have on my phone, but phone players don't like buy once and play forever, they like free then MICRO TRANSACTIONS!!!!! frankly I don't blame devs for adding micro transactions as people seem to love them for some reason

I don't blame them either, but there is the classic criminally ripoff pay wall style many sadly will go with even if it's something you get sucked into many hours later, or within 30-60min of playing so you don't feel stuck. Then you have Nintendo in how they did it with Fire Emblem, Pokemon Go and Puzzle, and also Animal Crossing. It's encouraging you to do it to save time, but if you're fine just putting a little more physical effort, limiting to playing just 30min or less a day, or leaving stuff at times up to random chance it's basically entirely optional. They've been making money hand over fist hardcore with their non-abusive setup. The industry could and really should take notice of that because it pisses off people far less. Sure you get those who will take the free ride, but when you see them talking about the big bucks those games raked in over optional buys it seems so damn greedy and stupid not to go that route. Nintendo even tried the pay at once with Mario and it sold less than the other games in profit by a good wide margin.

I just couldn't imagine this remake being very good in the first place. Night Driver was a pretty basic driving game. What could a 2018 remake possibly bring to a world already saturated with driving games? If I want to drive at night in a game, I'll just stick with NFS 2015 thank you.

I don't blame them either, but there is the classic criminally ripoff pay wall style many sadly will go with even if it's something you get sucked into many hours later, or within 30-60min of playing so you don't feel stuck. Then you have Nintendo in how they did it with Fire Emblem, Pokemon Go and Puzzle, and also Animal Crossing. It's encouraging you to do it to save time, but if you're fine just putting a little more physical effort, limiting to playing just 30min or less a day, or leaving stuff at times up to random chance it's basically entirely optional. They've been making money hand over fist hardcore with their non-abusive setup. The industry could and really should take notice of that because it pisses off people far less. Sure you get those who will take the free ride, but when you see them talking about the big bucks those games raked in over optional buys it seems so damn greedy and stupid not to go that route. Nintendo even tried the pay at once with Mario and it sold less than the other games in profit by a good wide margin.

I think what you (correctly) call the "non-abusive setup" is gaining traction; I'm seeing fewer blatant cash grabs and more fair monetization like subscriptions to gems or items that only change your outward appearance. With so much competition in the store, a bad/greedy game isn't going to do well, and without doing well, the "service" part of the game (lots of events and updates) don't happen. The hits get bigger, the rich get richer, and there's not much space for C-level efforts like this. It would be interesting to know the strength of the Night Driver brand ... do they really make more money with a forgettable IAP thing that will be poorly supported, than a $1.99 pay-once score chaser?

I do hope you and I are right about that.

I'm well on board for paying along that model Nintendo used, and it's the same that also in a way NCSoft used with Guild Wars 2 as well. Ever played that game? You do have the start up price that unlocks the entire game with nothing gimped out of the land, say like in comparison with a $10 buy into Super Mario Run (ignoring the world 1 teaser as GW2 has a timed teaser too.) In GW2 you have the Black Lion Store, there you can buy all sorts of amazing cosmetics and other basic stuff that will for a very short time boost the ability to recharge a skill or bump your XP by like 1.5x for minutes to a few hours. None of it is wrong or bad, just helps those who live for shiny things and being more impatient to move up faster -- just like buying instead of earning leaf tickets in Animal Crossing on mobile. If I didn't know better I would say that DENA+Nintendo ripped pages right ouf of the GW2 handbook. GW2 has a full world you buy, and a chapter to add too, much like World of Warcraft and the same growing huge world and things to do. it stops though at not charging a monthly fee or abusive costs to keep an account or character active, just like the Nintendo stuff.

If more companies from the loners to the corporate start adopting this model I see a larger level of compensatory reward to anyone caring to make a name and a buck on things. You make an A game you get A level buys into fluff and speed ups that are entirely 100% optional and fair, and so far the rewards are paying into the 10s of millions and more for such larger (Nintendo, NCSoft, etc) level experiences. Those who just go high ball pricing up front like Square-Enix and Namco on mobile are having moderate limited success but have solid spikes on those few times a year 50% off sales which are fine too if you're observant. And then you have the whale abusers or those who just charge a cheapo $1-5 price on a full game, and they kind of just live and succeed or die horribly depending on the quality (or not) effort put into it. All those ways are fair, but the rewards so far seem to be handing out more examples that free to enter, free to fully play, and millions made in fluff make more downloads and happier game players vs the whale. And then you have the cheap up front and the heavy up front with occasional sales that work ok too. It's all the baiting with the whale stuff that seems to be failing and deservedly so too.

I'm certain Nintendo/DeNA (DeNA is evil in its own way) are looking at other Asian free to play schemes. NCSoft is from South Korea, where all the games have been like this for a long time. One of their subsidiaries is Netmarble, who makes Lineage II: Revolution, which is the closest I come to playing MMOs these days.

My philosophy: if a game is worth my TIME, then I don't have a problem giving money to the developers.

• 3 months later...