IGNORED

360 hdd

Video

Do you need one or not? I just got a 360 again and the DL games say they require a HDD. I could just get external memory, but wanted to know if games could be saved to any memory or if it had to be an Xbox HDD.

My last Xbox, well all of them had HDD so I've never delt with this before. I do have my games saved to an old 16 gig flash drive I save games on, but its full, I'll need another storage medium. And the tiny 4gb built in won't cover the games I want to get. I didn't even know Xbox had built in memory.

Edited by Video

I know many games have a patch, even if small. My few 360 games have all DLed one (usually small like 32mb, etc). I think you can save to a USB, but ROM data needs to be on HDD.

So 10 years from now, when those servers go down, we'llbe playing gimped versions of games unless folks out there are preserving these patches.

If you want to play a an oXbox game, you need HDD. It's my understanding it DLs an emulation profile for compatible game.

Edited by Jagosaurus

I was wanting a specific game (portal still alive) but unless its using the disc game, it'll be completely downloaded. Original Xbox games are hit and miss, even the working ones usually have issues, so I'll probably us the original system for those anyways.

Outside of halo (4, I think) I don't think I have any required install games, so its mainly going to be game saves and downloaded games, though I may get a HDD near the end of 360 lives life. Maybe sooner, I have no idea how many digital games I have, is there an easy way to look that up?

Well, dug through my box of old memory cards and found a 16 gig and tried it. Interestingly, Xbox didn't insist on formatting this one to work with Xbox. That must be an early Xbox memory management thing and is no longer done?

Anyhow, game downloaded fine and I played that this weekend. I'll definitely look into an actual Xbox HDD at some point, if for no other reason, to not have extra s#!t hanging out of the console.

Thanks for the help guys.

Oh, what's the biggest drive they got? My first one was a pathetic 20gb drive (10 years later I got nearly that big a surplus memory card in it, LOL) my second drive was a 120gb, but not big enough. I know there was a 250, but were there bigger ones?

I bought a cheap aftermarket 320GB drive for my 360 Slim a few years back and it died and took out all my saves, including over 100hrs of Skyrim gameplay. Buyer beware. That said, if you can find a reputable 3rd party drive with decent reviews, you should be able to get one on the cheap these days.

• 1 month later...

I got a 500GB HDD for my 360 S on ebay recently. It's a first party unit.

Can I just slide it in and go, or do I need to back up saves and what have you to a USB Memory stick first? Is there an easy way to do that if so, or do I need to go into storage and manually transfer everything over?

I don't mind re downloading game patches, they seem to be much smaller than the PS3 game patches (which surprised me.)

Thanks in advance, doing this tonight!

Was very easy, just moved everything to my USB stick, then plugged in new HDD, moved everything back on there, and done.

I could see this being a pain if you have a ton of saves and data though as there seems to be no way to do it all together, you have to individually move everything (as far as I can tell.)

Well, I got a 500 gig one, and only a few gigs to transfer, that won't take long.

I don't know if just any drive could be used. To my understanding it's just a standard sata drive. The official ones are just in a case to make them fit in the drive bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it came in, and works fine. Yeah, only a 500gb, but it's 360, and I doubt I'll install many DVD games on it, so considering most gold games are arcade games and quite smakk, I'm probably not going to fill it ever. I figure this, or next year will be the last year for 360 live anyways.

It took a lot longer to copy games than I thought it would, don't know if that's the fault of the 360, or the sub drives, but now I got a few more empty 8 and 16 gb cards for whatever. Maybe I'll fill one with music since the 360 can still read them.

I forgot the drive clicks into place and the first time I stuck it in it didn't register. I was going to be mad, but I bought it new, so I could exchange it if I'd needed to.

Anyhow, thanks for the info guys!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...