IGNORED

free mini game: bexa64n

sh3-rg

Bello!

Here's out first release: bexa64n. It's a little tiny teaser of our forthcoming game bexagon. It's also available for the Atari Falcon and the first release created in bello basic - see readme doc below.

bexa64n:

People use the phrase "mini game" without having much understanding of what that really might be or what goes into making any given game, understandable if they're not people who make games themselves. Well here's a true mini game. It's a 64kb file played in a 64x64 pixel area! It has sound*, increasing difficulty, scoring and that's about it. It's very simple stuff, but represents a lot of work... all stripped down and hacked away leaving the simplest gameplay elements and little else :)

*sound - the 64kb version has a small loop, the 2MB ROM has much nicer audio.

Here's the latest video of the proper game, bexagon, from probably around a week ago. This is far from being a minigame... it spends much of its time being a 6MB ROM and a PITA!:

Check the readme for more info:

__
_ _ _ | |
| |_ ___| | |___| |
| . | -_| | | . |__|
|___|___|_|_|___|__|
bexa64n
a 64pixel x64pixel x64kb teaser for the forthcoming game, bexagon, by bello games
Written using Bello Basic. What's this? Simply put, it's the good old Raptor Basic+ but modified and extended so it can
also support 16/32 Atari platforms. Both Jaguar and Falcon versions are compiled from the same source files and different
codepaths are used for every platform. This is of course very limited to begin but will grow more sophisticated with time.
Falcon support was added from scratch within 8 days.
64k .ABS contains a small, low-freqency sample
.ROM contains a larger, higher frequency loop, both for the Atari Jaguar.
.PRG contains a Falcon030 version.
bb :: ggn
raptor :: cj
audio replay :: zerosquare
audio :: contains a loop from "Nightrise" by Jens East
used under CC BY 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode) by bello games
64kb optimisations :: george
testing and direction :: luis
game code :: kevin
Use a Jagpad in port 1. Press B to begin and use left/right, A/C or 1/3 to steer.
See bellogames.atari.org for more info
This game is released under a "don't be a twat" license, meaning you're free to take a copy from our website or anywhere
we choose to post it (such as atari age or some demo party release or whatevs) but don't do obviously scummy things with it.

bexa64n.zip

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 18

This begs for a limited physical release, with an Fresnel lens included in the box:

tumblr_mmco2qhn7i1rml3nvo1_1280.jpg

Actually the Falcon owners were spared - at first I thought about using 640x480 resolution, which would probably have ended up people ordering

Celestron_44102_Model_44102_Laboratory_B

• Like 2

Sweet music for sure! I'll have to try this on the skunk when I get home. Very small to see on the screen here at work

It's not big on any screen anywhere :)

It's just a little thing (purposely very little) for fun, a game inside a 64x64 pixel block. When I tested it I was sat 14" from a massive TV, so it didn't looks tooo small. It's hardly worth the effort, but I might make a version of the 2MB ROM that lets you scale the play area up, then at least it's still 64x64 but people can actually see it. I was going to add blitter rotation to it just because I couldn't find anything better to use it for, not for release, just for something to do... so might give both those a go later this week once I'm feeling less iffy.

Still liking zero's idea with the lenses though :lolblue:

• Like 1

That's kind of what I took from that 64x64 comment. Would definitely be nice at full size on a screen.

Whether this is related or not, I seem to find that with my tv a lot of the CD games or any games for that mater keep showing up with about a 1 inch black line down the left side of the screen, as if it's shifted to the right. I have seen some games with options to change the screen position and others not. That's probably a TV issue vs a jaguar issue I guess.

very good game ! I prepare article for my printed magazine - Atari Fan ! :)

for all users/readers - How do you rate it ? :) send me to email piter@atarifan.pl , please :)

rating between 0 - 10 for graphics, music/sound and playable :)
thank you very much :)

• Like 2

beating the shit out of everything in order to make the thing fit in 64k: 3/10 - pfffffft, just look at all those modern 64k PC demos and how much stuff they can cram. Mediocre!

porting the game to Falcon in 8 days: 2/10 - you guys are sloooooow!

creating a system to generate the same game in 2 vastly different platforms from one basic source: 3/10 - nobody cares, you're not impressing anyone you know!

gameplay: sqrt(2)/2 - what do you mean "you can't shoot at anything"? Come see me after class!

Overall: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ / 10

(disclaimer: both me and sh3 might have something to do with the release, disregard our ratings ;))

• Like 1