IGNORED

Troubleshooting console issue

digitalman

To make a long story short, I borrowed the RIOT chip from my Atari 2600 (2nd gen wood grain) to test some other equipment.

When I put the chip back I put it in the wrong direction (of course this one goes the opposite way of the other chips on the board). I was just getting a scrambled screen. When I realized what I had done I flipped the chip back but was just getting a black screen. However I had the metal casing disassembled and thought maybe the board wasn't grounded or something as the plate on the back of the case seems to make contact with the board. I assembled the metal case and viola! Console was working. I played a few mins of Berserk (my only cart) and thought I was back to normal. I then assembled the entire console and ran one last test. Now I get a very distorted screen, almost like it is zoomed in on the upper left corner. The Berserk cartridge seems to start but as if it is already in a game and the player is constantly shooting. If I plug in my joystick (game port 2) The player acts more erratically. If I start the console with the joystick attached I get nothing.

I took everything apart and the conditions remain the same.

any thoughts? Is this a bad RIOT chip issue? It's frustrating because it was working. it's like a short or something but the screen is also gone wacky.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• 1 year later...