IGNORED

Top Games You'd Like to Have for Atari 8-Bits

MrFish

Thanks for asking. It reminds me about Nutcraka (which perhaps is not much to lust for, except it is rather colourful) for the C64 and BBC Micro and of course Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad for the Amiga.

That C64 game looks pretty bad. The protag looks like a

cardboard cutout bouncing around. Squirrels deserve a

good animation.

That Amiga game looks pretty good, but maybe nothing

too special. I would think they could do more here to

animate the squirrel too.

Yup. Nutcraka has been called one of the worst games ever, and one YouTuber went as far as wishing the developer would burn in hell, which to me is a sign someone mentally is a 12 year old with the voice of a grown up.

Maybe he should just be sent to game developer purgatory.

Toki is a great platformer on the Lynx, probably the best on the system.

Let me remind everyone of the title of this thread:

Top Games You'd Like to Have for Atari 8-Bits

There. It didn't say anything about feasibility......I have seen LOADS of "impossible" game suggestions so why pick on mine ;) :D :D

Galaga (yugh !!) is also always mentioned as impossible (because the large number of sprites), yet it has the highest "ranking"....

I think Bubble Bobble would easily be harder than Toki. Toki has a very detailed and full background though, and LOTS of different "enemies" etc.

Chip's Challenge would probably be that too.... a challenge....

To compensate, I listed two "easy" ones....Amidar and Eyes :D Those have simple mechanics and graphics, stuff the A8 can do easily....

People who like Pac Man/shooting games should really give Eyes a try on MAME..... it's a _VERY_ strategic game....

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

From Wikipedia:

The protagonist of the game is a muscular, loin-cloth wearing, Tarzanesque tribesman named Toki (known in Japan and in some ports as JuJu), who up until recently lived a primitive yet contented life in the jungles of a vast and wild island in the South Seas.

This all ends tragically when the beautiful Miho, princess of Toki's tribe of jungle men, and a potential suitor to Toki, is kidnapped by the treacherous witch doctor Vookimedlo. Miho is taken to a vast golden palace at the summit of the island, which Vookimedlo has conjured up for himself to reside in. The wicked shaman then casts a spell to transform all the human inhabitants of the island into various animals and beasts, before they can defend themselves against the evil magic.

Toki himself is transformed into a Geeshergam, one of the ape-like minions of Vookimedlo, although in his primate form, Toki more resembles a gorilla.

All makes perfect sense. In reality, Toki is a MAN, a human being. And EVEN after the spell from the shaman he is only ape-like......

:D :D :D

You can see him being transformed in the intro:

Edited by Level42

Nothing to explain there. That was said back then. As it seems, they just adopted the native resolution and colors, despite of the aspect ratio.

Sorry emkay, but this is a little hard for me to decipher.

No matter; it's obvious, since the C64 can do a reasonably good

adaptation, that it's at least probable that the A8's could pull

something off too.

Sorry emkay, but this is a little hard for me to decipher.

There exists no official statement. But, you see a lot more colors than used in Shadow of the Beast. Using parallax scrolling drops down the colors per layer to 8 . this means 16 colors plus sprite colors. The game shows much more colors per layer. Any use of EHB, HAM, Sprite Multiplexing, CPU kernel .... is possible.

No matter; it's obvious, since the C64 can do a reasonably good

adaptation, that it's at least probable that the A8's could pull

something off too.

History showed that the C64 can have games that don't even mind of the graphics from the original.

OK...here is a few more.

One that should be fairly easy to do:

Dragonfire - There are a bunch of different versions of this game, maybe select the best from each version. I liked the 2600 version, but maybe add the archer on the first screen to it. Also in some versions there is a troll in the second room along with the dragon.

And here are two that would be challenging:

Rastan - probably have to make a lot of compromises to do this game.

Altered Beast - rise from your grave. Also probably have to make a lot compromises.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Sheddy and thank you very much for making and sharing A8 Space Harrier! :thumbsup:

Although it does have a 6502 (but 2x faster ),the Lynx is vastly better in everything except only 160x102 resolution and does things in a very different way. It's very impressive for its time and probably no other 8 bit computer or console comes close (apart from resolution)
So, a shame, but that's not to say demakes can't be done though and some code useful.

No time to connect here on Sunday/yesterday, but wanted to reply.

The Lynx was incredible hardware for its time!

Comlynx networking alone was years ahead of anything else other handheld video games could do at the time (or other home video game systems as well).

Lynx does have fairly complicated architecture compared to other Atari 6502 machines, video game systems or computers: highly customized Mikey and Suzy chips with specific elements for graphics processing, running the video display to the backlit lcd, performing math calculations and creating 4 channel stereo sound (in Lynx II), with incorporation of coprocessors and a mix of 16 bit and 8 bit chips as well.

In my experience some elements of certain Lynx games have yet to be outdone on handhelds (at least even PSP*): use of stereo doppler sound effects in Warbirds while being played on Lynx II let you know exactly where your enemies are, in 3D! Pretty amazing to experience now in 2018 let alone in 1991. I've never experienced anything else like it in another handheld video game system. Sure there's use of doppler sound effects in other games -- handheld, video game system and computer -- but rarely to such useful/utilitarian effect as was implemented in Warbirds on Lynx II back in 1991. :-o

Epyx designed a handheld video game monster and very gladly for us at the time (as well as for posterity) Atari bought the design/rights and manufactured it! :thumbsup:

And perhaps one of latter day Atari's better/best moves?

And, whether standard AAs or Ds in the brick/tricorder unit that was the Atari Lynx Battery Pack, it ate/eats enough batteries to prove that indeed it was/is a handheld graphics powerhouse and electricity sucking monster! (today I generally only use my Lynx II plugged in).

To Sheddy's point ;) I can imagine that translating a Lynx game would be a demake not a port but I am glad to know that in spite of significant hardware differences that some of the Lynx game code could be useful for working on A8. That's most interesting and very good to know!

*I owned a PSP in earlier 2000's when there was a Sony PSP Club (or whatever); amazing handheld video quality and cool tech but never enjoyed playing games on it all that much. Never bought a Vita....

• Like 1

And, whether standard AAs or Ds in the brick/tricorder unit that was the Atari Lynx Battery Pack, it ate/eats enough batteries to prove that indeed it was/is a handheld graphics powerhouse and electricity sucking monster! (today I generally only use my Lynx II plugged in).

I put a nice fat Lipo battery inside of my Lynx I, together with a nice charging/voltage conversion PCB.

Runs for about 10 hours :):):)

• Like 1

Rethinking about ToKi...

The Lynx version could point to a solution on the Atari.

Using the double scanline character mode and GPRIOR 0 plus all needed data for the moving objects on a cartridge, could make the game "looking & playable" like ToKi.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

There exists no official statement. But, you see a lot more colors than used in Shadow of the Beast. Using parallax scrolling drops down the colors per layer to 8 . this means 16 colors plus sprite colors. The game shows much more colors per layer. Any use of EHB, HAM, Sprite Multiplexing, CPU kernel .... is possible.

History showed that the C64 can have games that don't even mind of the graphics from the original.

Have you looked at how HAM works? It's not really suited to moving objects due to how colours are assigned.

That said, you can cheat and get filled polygons for the price of a wireframe using these modes

• Like 1