IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

I got the Arcade Flashback Legends yesterday. No issues with it. Games run fine, rewind feature works well (I got past stage 1 of Ghouls and Ghosts for the first time). I tried probably a dozen of the games, some arcade, some console. It all seems to work fine. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have some.

Can you break down the list between Arcade/Home and for the home version if possible which one? (NES/SNES/Genny/SMS/GB/GBC/GBA)

Finger crossed they are mostly Arcade.

And by the way it seems also some customer at Walmart noticed it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bandai-Namco-Flashback-Blast-Pac-Man-PAC-MANIA-Retro-Gaming-Yellow-818858029629/370082388

There's one review with 3 stars:

attachicon.gifBlastNamco.PNG

Nothing too negative but he does declare as non-arcade.

Wonder if there's fine print on the bottom/side of the box to state it contains NES versions (like they did for the Legends Flashback Blast!)

Not to pile on more controversy, but I noticed the other day that some of the reviews on several of the Flashback Blasts end with "I am writing this review as part of a contest." Particularly ones that were dated before the release.

• Like 1

DELETED:

Bill already stated how it happened here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277397-atgames-2018-speculation-thread/page-27?do=findComment&comment=4135618

Still not clear to me why even developing both unless the NES version was a much quicker build (likely same HW as the 2600) while waiting for the arcade capable PCBs ... hell of a gamble ... it may backfire big time .... I guess the choice was not be there at all (if you miss the window you're out) or get there with a different product and then switch to the final one .... both of which are bad for different reasons.

• Like 1

And by the way it seems also some customer at Walmart noticed it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bandai-Namco-Flashback-Blast-Pac-Man-PAC-MANIA-Retro-Gaming-Yellow-818858029629/370082388

Nothing too negative but he does declare as non-arcade.

There's nothing wrong with the NES versions of these games. They were the most faithful home versions available at the time they were released. The key issue is some people will have bought these expecting the arcade versions and all the information given out pointed to the Namco Flashback Blast having the arcade versions.

The controversy could have been completely avoided by simply giving John a review unit that contained the NES ROMs and putting a mention on the Armchair Arcade article that these would be the NES versions. Causal gamers probably wouldn't care, and those who care what version they're getting could make an informed choice.

• Like 4

Honestly.. I don't know the situation with John Hancock and AtGames... but I'm just a bit skeptical about him being one of the first reviews every time that AtGame released products. He always gets them first and he always claims they run great! But once people buy the product they say other wise..

Is John Hancock getting used for false advertising? Or is he getting paid for these reviews?

I don't have a dog in the fight, but did you actually watch his reviews? These are the first videos of his that I've seen and I actually found them rather negative. Even complaining about not having an HDMI cable in the box for the Flashback consoles. And he outright panned the Atari Flashback Vol. 3. He didn't like the video filter, he called it out as false advertising for having 4 player games with only 2 paddle controllers, he didn't like that it didn't have the arcade version of Pong, he didn't like that the paddles were wired, and he didn't like menu navigation controls. At the end of the video he says he can't recommend it in his current state.

That really doesn't sound like someone who's getting paid to me... If they're paying him, they sure didn't get their money's worth on that one. Jump to 9:07 if you want to hear him list all the issues he had.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DBDjABaB4&t=9m7s[/media]

Edited by Sardonyx

I don't have a dog in the fight, but did you actually watch his reviews? These are the first I've seen and I actually found them rather negative. Even complaining about not having an HDMI cable in the box. And he outright panned the Atari Flashback Vol. 3. He didn't like the video filter, he called it out as false advertising for having 4 player games with only 2 paddle controllers, and he didn't like that it didn't have the arcade version of Pong, he didn't like that the paddles were wired, and he didn't like menu navigation controls. At the end of the video he says he can't recommend it in his current state.

That really doesn't sound like someone who's getting paid to me... If they're paying him, they sure didn't get their money's worth on that one. Jump to 9:07 if you want to hear him list all the issues he had.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DBDjABaB4&t=9m7s[/media]

Okay I get your point.. I removed the post..

So apparently review units are not the same as the final product sometimes.. Which is screwed up..

Edited by JHale

Can you break down the list between Arcade/Home and for the home version if possible which one? (NES/SNES/Genny/SMS/GB/GBC/GBA)

Yep, I can do that. Give me a couple minutes and I'll run through them.

They are arcade games for the most part. There are menu selections to list only Arcade and only Console games, so that won't take long. The ones that were console versions were mainly ones I remember as NES console games, like Mega Man, Tetris, etc.

Here you go:

Arcade:

• Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon
  • Astro Fantasia
  • Bad Dudes vs. Dragon-ninja
  • Break Thru
  • BurgerTime
  • Burnin’ Rubber
  • Cluster Buster
  • Commando
  • Crude Buster
  • Darwin 4078
  • Dig Dug
  • Disco No.1
  • Edward Randy, The Cliffhanger
  • Express Raider
  • Fighting Ice Hockey
  • Forgotten Worlds
  • Galaga
  • Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
  • Heavy Barrel
  • HyperDyne Side Arms
  • Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja
  • Joe & Mac Returns
  • Lock ‘n Chase
  • Mappy
  • Meikyu Hunter G
  • Pirate Ship Higemaru
  • Pro Bowling
  • Pro Tennis
  • Rally-X
  • Rootin’ Tootin’
  • Scrum Try
  • Secret Agent/Sly Spy
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Shoot Out
  • Side Pocket
  • Sky Kid
  • Strider
  • Super BurgerTime
  • Super Doubles Tennis
  • Super Pool III
  • Super Real Darwin
  • Terranean
  • Tournament Pro Golf
Console:
  • Champions World Class Soccer (Genesis)
  • Judge Dredd (Genesis)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (NES)
  • Phelios (Genesis)
  • Tetris (Famicom)
  • Like 4

cool. was just curious what type of emulation it was using but accurate sound is good. it was my biggest dissapointment with last years genesis.

thank you.

also just curious which retailer did you buy it from?

To be fair I haven't tried any of the 3 Genesis games, but I'm not really a Genesis guy and probably wouldn't pick up on those. I tried all 3 of the NES games and some of the arcade games, they all sounded fine.

I bought it at Walmart. They were the only retailer I could find that had Flashback products so far. I found the listings on Amazon and GameStop, but neither had stock yet.

I got the Arcade Flashback Legends yesterday. No issues with it. Games run fine, rewind feature works well (I got past stage 1 of Ghouls and Ghosts for the first time). I tried probably a dozen of the games, some arcade, some console. It all seems to work fine. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have some.

How was the sound? John Hancocks review unit had some bad sound issues. I wonder if it was an issue with just his unit, his setup or if it's a wider, general issue with these.

EDIT - Never mind, you answered above. Thanks and good to know :)

Edited by AtariLeaf

Wow. The name-calling, the unhinged rants, and claims that the company is "going to be in legal trouble" are really over the top and out of control. Twenty bucks is not a lot of money -- it's a couple hours at a minimum wage job in many places. The NES ports are not arcade versions, but calling it a "scam" is insane. Do these people get their panties in a bunch over the quality of Happy Meal toys, too? It's a stocking stuffer. I hope those that are flipping out over this get the help that they need.

• Like 5

From my point of view the situation could have been avoided by using a simple nice big sticker stating something like "NES Edition - Play the games like you played it at home 3 decades ago" or whatever makes sense. It would have beem cheap, the systems would have been more easy to be replaced by the arcade version when it is ready, yet still a bit shady (box screenshots)...

(phoenixdownita already posted the same idea, missed that posting).

Edited by Marc Oberhäuser
  • Like 1

Wow. The name-calling, the unhinged rants, and claims that the company is "going to be in legal trouble" are really over the top and out of control. Twenty bucks is not a lot of money -- it's a couple hours at a minimum wage job in many places. The NES ports are not arcade versions, but calling it a "scam" is insane. Do these people get their panties in a bunch over the quality of Happy Meal toys, too? It's a stocking stuffer. I hope those that are flipping out over this get the help that they need.

That's not the point though. What they are doing is illegal with false advertising. Yea $20 ain't nothing, but if you accumulate that to so many sold they are making a lot of profit from it.

• Like 1

That's not the point though. What they are doing is illegal with false advertising. Yea $20 ain't nothing, but if you accumulate that to so many sold they are making a lot of profit from it.

I haven't seen it advertised at all, just talked about by Tubers. It's not listed on their website.

photo.jpg
Pinned by John Hancock
Update: There are two VERY versions of this product. Apparently, the Walmart version(Pac Mania) includes NES roms and does not run properly. Avoid at this time and shame on them for not being upfront about the differences. This was not communicated to me and for that people should be mad.

There's "mad" as in, this isn't what I expected, please give me a refund/exchange, thanks!

There's also "mad" as in NOW IT IS TIME FOR ME TO SCREAM INTO YOUTUBE AND BLOW THIS WAY OUT OF PROPORTION BRING ME THE HEAD OF ATGAMES AND I WILL CALL IT ASSGAMES AND THEY ARE LYING EVIL SCAMMERS which seems like a bit much to me.

• Like 3

YouTubers are there to make money and outrage sells (look at the news, which is also there to get eyeballs on ads). Everyone these days goes to immediate full outrage mode over everything sadly. There really is no proportional response anymore.

I do totally get people being unhappy. The complete failure to communicate the two versions really gives the impression they were trying to pull a fast one even if that's not the case. I don't see what was to be gained by not being upfront that these were NES versions. Casual gamers would still buy them and people who care would know exactly what they were being offered.

• Like 1

YouTubers are there to make money and outrage sells (look at the news, which is also there to get eyeballs on ads). Everyone these days goes to immediate full outrage mode over everything sadly. There really is no proportional response anymore.

I do totally get people being unhappy. The complete failure to communicate the two versions really gives the impression they were trying to pull a fast one even if that's not the case. I don't see what was to be gained by not being upfront that these were NES versions. Casual gamers would still buy them and people who care would know exactly what they were being offered.

If there were ever any doubt, this seals the deal -- I am a "casual gamer" all the way down.

Because I'm sure as hell not going to be persuaded by "influencers" such as this boob.

giphy.gif

The be fair flojo, if Bill was not involved (and all the goodwill he brings to the table) would we be even trying to defend this behavior?

Whatever the reason were, now it's a PR disaster.

I go as far as saying it's having an impact to Bill reputation in the process, as on his website to a direct question about it he stated "arcades", that's about 2 weeks ago

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2018/09/27/the-official-game-list-for-the-atgames-bandai-namco-flashback-blast-2018/#comments

(mostly because now that we know thanks to him the inside story, it's kind of a little harder to take what he says about AtGames products at face value, I also would bet had that first wtf video NOT come up we would have found out only a lot later when some of us may have stumbled on the "ugly stepchild")

I appreciate Bill candor once he told what happened, not sure he's not in trouble with AtGames, or Walmart, not entirely sure how his admission of "planned replacement" would play wrt the contract between Walmart and AtGames ....well all this is bringing lots of attention/advertisement to AtGames (and Walmart) so maybe they can turn it around and put a positive spin on it but clearly it was all supposed to happen silently.

NOTE: this is my opinion, and mine only, you don't have to agree, you don't have to bring in to the discussion decades of Bill good deeds, I like ArmchairArcade content too and I drooled over his incredible collection, just stating an unfortunate and undeserved cinch in that armor and it is sometimes inevitable that one has to take the fall on behalf of the company he's working for.

Also this is a speculation thread so I speculate it will have negative side effects on both the company and very unfortunately our friendly insider Bill.

PERSONAL: now I actually want the NES version even more ... LOL

• Like 3