IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

Understood but one thing is HW issues (as we've been told) ... I really thought something like overheating, costs overrun, bad PCBs, defects instead if you're right it is copyright issues (cleaning the ROMs).

Well may be, just ask John to test and compare his findings with the NES version one. Seems like the NES one is also running on emulator. Open up the units and compare the ICs.

Well may be, just ask John to test and compare his findings with the NES version one. Seems like the NES one is also running on emulator. Open up the units and compare the ICs.

The NES version seems to be underpowered already (we know it's a MonkeyKing3B chip aka rockchip RK3066 in there from another Tuber opening it and it struggles [may be unoptimized emu]) so a change of HW for the arcade version may have been warranted anyway and I wouldn't read anything in that.

Bu the fact that you noticed the new 2018 copyright screen before the NES game and the old NES game copyright cleaned up from the ROM lends a lot of credence to what you stated may have happened.

EDIT:

I looked again at John's original video of the arcade and that unit had both the new 2018 copyright before the game as well as the old Namco 198x copyright in the rom (from the game opening screen).

The sounds on ssf2 are off. Even when compared to mame or an actual cab. There inaccurate crackling and the music has a higher pitch than normal. Mine is brand new maybe I got a defective one but I have seen John Hancocks videos and the sound is off in some other games as well. As for what's wrong with it, it sounds like bad sound emulation to me

Then does that mean Atgames is no victim and they really screw up youtubers and customers?

Anyways, challenge accepted! Can't wait to check the arcade version to compare ROM checksums!

What challenge? The arcade versions sent for review have different hardware than the NES versions presently available (and soon to be reviewed in more places). Once that issue is resolved, we'll produce the arcade versions. I'd say if there was some issue with the ROMs. There's not. It's strictly a hardware issue when going to production.

What challenge? The arcade versions sent for review have different hardware than the NES versions presently available (and soon to be reviewed in more places). Once that issue is resolved, we'll produce the arcade versions. I'd say if there was some issue with the ROMs. There's not. It's strictly a hardware issue when going to production.

You said "you'll see", felt like a challenge.

Interesting note the press release did not mention the SD cardslot. So now that things have been announced, can it be confirmed there will be a firmware update to allow the playing of additional rom/bin files via the SD card slot and when will this be made available? I have to admit, I want to buy this year's flashback, but only if that functionality is present.

• Like 2

Interesting note the press release did not mention the SD cardslot. So now that things have been announced, can it be confirmed there will be a firmware update to allow the playing of additional rom/bin files via the SD card slot and when will this be made available? I have to admit, I want to buy this year's flashback, but only if that functionality is present.

Officially, the SD card slots are for firmware updates, and that's what's enabled out of the box. With the right firmware update, other features, like using it to run homebrew games, will be possible. I'm sure a site like AtariAge would be a great place to host different firmwares for these systems.

• Like 2

Officially, the SD card slots are for firmware updates, and that's what's enabled out of the box. With the right firmware update, other features, like using it to run homebrew games, will be possible. I'm sure a site like AtariAge would be a great place to host different firmwares for these systems.

This is not directed at you Bill because I know you are only a messanger. I was hoping AtGames would be supporting the process of loading ROMs on the flashback console just like they do the portable. Are they not similar products? What is the difference that they can support one, but not the other? It makes no sense to me. It feels similar to what Hyperkin did with the R77...

• Like 2

This is not directed at you Bill because I know you are only a messanger. I was hoping AtGames would be supporting the process of loading ROMs on the flashback console just like they do the portable. Are they not similar products? What is the difference that they can support one, but not the other? It makes no sense to me. It feels similar to what Hyperkin did with the R77...

Either way, it won't be an issue. Stay tuned.

• Like 4

I guess what I am really asking will it be up to those on Atari Age to figure out how to hack this thing to load ROMs or will AtGames be making the firmware for sure?

No need for concern in this area. The option is also there for someone to make their own firmware should they be sufficiently motivated.

• Like 2

Thanks for your help Bill. I saw two different dates for online/store distribution of the Flashback 9 Gold 11/1 & 11/15. Can you confirm?

It's probably going to be the same deal as the Blast! stuff, which was October 1, but didn't really become available until mid-month. I'll see if there's a way to get a better date.

• Like 3

No need for concern in this area. The option is also there for someone to make their own firmware should they be sufficiently motivated.

This sounds very encouraging. I purchased multiple Sega Genesis and Atari portables specifically for the SD card slot functionality. They are perfect for lunch breaks or visiting my parents - very happy with the product for the price I paid. If the same can be done for the Atari Flashback 9 I will pick one up for sure. Then if anything can be done with the Legends Flashback SD slot that would be icing on the cake.

• Like 2