IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

I have just a cable that surprisingly worked. On a different monitor it didnt work so I dont know if its dependent on the screen or what. Some might need the vga box I guess. Ill have to look into it.

I was thinking about trying the mmmonkey mod, but it seems weird to me that there are so few components involved, when the official VGA solution(s) involve an expensive box with quite a few ICs.

I just ordered it. This should work great for hooking up 16bit consoles with VGA if the arcade doesnt pan out. Thanks a lot for the info.

I had one of those 8200 boards some years ago. It's no OSSC or Framemeister, but it was pretty decent for what it did. I thought the picture looked pretty good. My biggest gripe with it was using the little buttons on the board to navigate the few menu options, can be somewhat annoying. But seeing how they're just $20 now, really can't argue against giving it a shot.

Edited by keepdreamin

I had one of those 8200 boards some years ago. It's no OSSC or Framemeister, but it was pretty decent for what it did. I thought the picture looked pretty good. My biggest gripe with it was using the little buttons on the board to navigate the few menu options, can be somewhat annoying. But seeing how they're just $20 now, really can't argue against giving it a shot.

What did you use for a power supply?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm a bit bummed. It seems my Trinitron is not as good as I thought. I just tried testing some master system phaser guns and none of them (I have 3) would work. This is on a KD-27FS170. I then went out to my garage and hooked up to my old Philips which is a 20PT643R01 and they all work perfect. Both were via RF connection.

I have 3 other model Trinitrons I may test on in the future. If I aimed in front of the ducks I could get hits now and then on the Trinitron but man this sucks. I have never had a problem w/zapper guns.

Well I'm a bit bummed. It seems my Trinitron is not as good as I thought. I just tried testing some master system phaser guns and none of them (I have 3) would work. This is on a KD-27FS170. I then went out to my garage and hooked up to my old Philips which is a 20PT643R01 and they all work perfect. Both were via RF connection.

I have 3 other model Trinitrons I may test on in the future. If I aimed in front of the ducks I could get hits now and then on the Trinitron but man this sucks. I have never had a problem w/zapper guns.

It's either an hd crt or it's digitally processing the rf. If you think it's a regular crt, try composite/s-video if you can.

My CRT are:

* Ascent 23" TV (component, svideo, composite, rf) - Last CRT sold at Zellers in 2005.

* Amiga 1080

* Commodore 1702 in dire need of a recap job. I have the kit, the tools, but not the guts to put my hand inside of it and risk electrocuting myself.

The Ascent is perfect for the NES, SNES, Sega, TG16 and PS1 and PS2. Not compatible with lightguns, but I fall back to the 1080/1702 for those. I should receive the NES, SNES. And PS2 next week. For now I have my mod1 genesis to play with.

I would've waited for winter before getting back in console gaming, but I'm really disapointed with the new Wow expansion and need something else to keep me occupied.

I love my CRTs. I've been collecting them over the years, however I've stopped now as I'm afraid of becoming a hoarder. Most of them do get used though.

27" Sony Trinitron (for NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, Turbo)

25" Magnivox with built in DVD and VHS players (for Atari 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision)

13" Commodore 1802 (for Atari 800XL)

19" Sony PVM (not hooked up at the moment)

19" CGA CRT in Millipede arcade cabinet

19" Dell monitor

13" CGA arcade monitors x 2 (for future bartop arcade cabinet projects)

They are definitely all SD CRT TV's. Zapper guns and Super Scope work fine.

I found a fix. You have to jack the brightness all the way up and then it registers more accurate, almost 100%. I would have to try on my other TV to see if I have better accuracy on that.

It seemed to me that by aiming in front of the duck you're clicking where the computer has the duck, not where the display has it. Possibly indicating the display is delayed due to digital processing. But since other light gun games work, that shouldn't be it. Are the other systems connected by composite or rf?

They are definitely all SD CRT TV's. Zapper guns and Super Scope work fine.

I found a fix. You have to jack the brightness all the way up and then it registers more accurate, almost 100%. I would have to try on my other TV to see if I have better accuracy on that.

That's what I did as well to use the Menacer. After that it worked normally.

I set it to vivid and then increased the brightness.

I'd tag 1) Composite 2) SVid 3) RF but this is a bit of guesswork since CRTs are notoriously difficult to photograph. If you're not using a tripod it's very easy to produce even minuscule blur (since you have to set the f really low) which ruins such comparisons.

The other thing is that RF's main problem is the amount of noise, again hard to photograph. That's why Composite is much better since it is both a bit sharper and stable. But I do agree that overall difference is not THAT great across all formats, including RGB, it's only been puffed up in recent years. I mean, of course RGB is better, but that does not render Composite totally useless. The viewing distance is a great factor too.

I'd say the first two are composite and a video, and the last is rf, due to the fuzziness around the hearts. The other two may be interchangeable, I don't know.

Yeah for years I was always puzzled by the holier than though people would give over one format over the other. Yes there is a (very minor) difference, no I never thought it was the end of the world if I was using rf instead of composite. Never had a tv that used svideo, though I've used boxes for translation to component of whatever.

For me, it was more about not having a bunch of rf devices daisy chained behind the tv adding degradation to video passthrough for cable. Composite was handy this way, but now I have better tv's for cable viewing, so now it makes little difference to me.

Mostly I think I was one of those oddball people that cared enough to properly calibrate my set unlike most peoples idea that brighter is better. Turn up the color fool!

It's funny to see the different views. I joined the CRT collective Facebook group and those people are dead on for which is which.

1 is Rf, 2 is composite, and 3 is s-video. The best way I see to tell the increase in quality is the white top line around the floor. On RF it is all dots, composite it is less dots, and s-video it has no dots. If you look at Link's shield you can clearly see in pic 3 the image quality is much crisper.

I actually think between RF and composite that RF yields a better image myself. Again I don't see any ground shattering difference between the 3 myself. Plus I'm not sure I 100% like the steady s-video quality over RF in some areas. I would choose the s-video just because it cleans up the fuzziness. Looking at Link he is much crisper outlined on 3, his shadow was brought up on how cleaner it is on the CRT Collective.

The hearts bleeding was as well brought up. You get bleed in 1 and 2 but in 3 the red hearts don't bleed outside the white lines.

S'funny alright :) I just looked at the hearts and how well defined they are and that was my take. On a better quality pic the difference should be much more visible...kinda funny it takes people poring over details to tell it here though :)

As for RF, again, there would be that "black noise" visible in darker areas, perhaps other interference too, which is why I try to steer clear of this connection when possible. I'm in Europe now and have 2 Trinitron sets connected via RGB and yep, the IQ on them looks pretty cool...but when I go back to Asia soon I will be down to my no-name Composite TV set (it's hard to source better one there) and can live with that quality too.

I migh try to take some composite vs RGB pics from the Trinitron when I have a moment but it's a bit of pain to do it properly.

Ok testing some video quality on my KD-27FS170 I have to say I see very little difference between s-video, composite, and RF.

It depends on what you're plugging in. Obviously, something like the Genesis is going to be a world of difference between RF and RGB, and some games are designed to take advantage of composite's artifacting. Ditto with the Saturn.

I know when I hook DVDs up to my CRT, I get a much better picture with S-Video. Gojira's yellow subtitles were flickering all over the place with composite video.

Who's a fan of the big, bad, HD-CRT? :)

I am! :thumbsup: :)

I have two as my main sets: my Samsung Slimfit 4:3 Full screen treasure that I use daily for 360 and Netflix in 720p over HDMI along with my modded Xbox over Component, and my Panasonic widescreen set that I use for my newer 180-S over HDMI. I also have a spare widescreen Toshiba HDCRT, HDMI and all, that a neighbor was going to throw away and which I saved. I'm actually on the lookout for a spare set for the Samsung, as this TV looks so good that I will likely never be able to use any other set as my main viewing box for the rest of my life.

• Like 1