IGNORED

SNK 40 Anniversary plug and play Neo Geo console announced

This new toy doesn't exactly scream Neo*Geo to me, but it does look "good" (in a generic way) for a cheap all-in-one PnP system. I do like the hood with the title cards. If it were backlit and you could easily change full strips out with different titles from the included game selection, would have helped make it seem more authentic. And yes, for what's more than likely going to end up being little more than a decorative piece that sits on a dusty shelf, that would have been a really nice thing to implement. ;)

I don't follow.. The form factor doesn't fit the functionality of a proper bar top. The game list is severely nerfed to the point I'd say some of those games are not good.

Compare that to the SNES classic. Nintendo gives you proper controllers. All the games are quality. They realized some popular games were 3rd party and reached out to acquire the licenses for their inclusion.

SNK (or whoever they are now) has done NONE of that. So I don't understand how you could say it "looks great".

I have seen a few videos done by Madlittlepixel. As he recapped in the official release, the price and game list have not been finalized yet. Also, in the video he stated that he thought that this might come bundled with a HDMI cable and/or one controller. He is not 100% sure on that, but based his thoughts on leaks of the console and controller boxes. Personally, 40 Neo Geo games in a portable cabinet that can hook up to a TV and be played with Neo Geo CD type controllers is a pretty cool notion in my opinion. However, it isn't without its issues. Same with the SNES and NES minis. They too have their issues.

Edited by Hwlngmad
  • Like 1

I don't follow.. The form factor doesn't fit the functionality of a proper bar top. The game list is severely nerfed to the point I'd say some of those games are not good.

Compare that to the SNES classic. Nintendo gives you proper controllers. All the games are quality. They realized some popular games were 3rd party and reached out to acquire the licenses for their inclusion.

SNK (or whoever they are now) has done NONE of that. So I don't understand how you could say it "looks great".

OK, I'll explain further. I think it looks interesting. I like the fact that it has a built-in screen and also has HDMI out. I like the game list and feel like it hits a decent selection of the games that I like. Also, I don't consider it a bar-top. It's kind of a table top, a bit like those classic Coleco and Nintendo systems, albeit, a bit bigger. I would actually have preferred it to be something larger, but this is OK for what it is.

I have no ability at this point to comment on how well that layout will play, how nice the screen is, or how good the emulation is. Those are all open questions, obviously. But in terms of the other, less substantial stuff, I like it.

• Like 1

Neo Geo candy cabs were equipped with better hardware than their western counterparts. If you were releasing an anniversary edition with that being your theme, I would expect proper controls.

This isn't some mini PAC Man or galaga cabinet. Where cutesy little controls might be excused. This is the Neo Geo, some of the greatest arcade and fighting games where proper control is essential. Seeing what that cabinet is outfitted with tells me it's more for decoration. If that's what you want, you can buy a poster or other game art.

This is what a proper Neo Geo Candy Cab themed mini cabinet should look like. Proper controls and everything

14.jpg

• Like 6

Neo Geo candy cabs were equipped with better hardware than their western counterparts. If you were releasing an anniversary edition with that being your theme, I would expect proper controls.

This isn't some mini PAC Man or galaga cabinet. Where cutesy little controls might be excused. This is the Neo Geo, some of the greatest arcade and fighting games where proper control is essential. Seeing what that cabinet is outfitted with tells me it's more for decoration. If that's what you want, you can buy a poster or other game art.

This is what a proper Neo Geo Candy Cab themed mini cabinet should look like. Proper controls and everything

14.jpg

OH I want that!!!!

Well, I think it'd be nice if the top was red instead of blue, at the very least.

There's no precedent for that. The blue hood was a feature on a few models of Japanese cabinets. If you're mentioning red because of the color of US cabinets, having a differently shaped cabinet to reflect what we got would make more sense.

I'm still not sure why they decided on a boorish gray control panel for the international version.

My reaction is that people are being up turned nose a-holes about it on various sites making gross assumptions and projecting a mix of straight guesses and lies about what it does. If it's not that, it's whining about the housing like it was a personal insult on their mother. Either buy it or not, but don't be a douche or a suck up about it either when nearly no hard details are known other than the form factor and what can plug into the ports on it at this point.

I'd like one, but I need to know price, performance, and game list before I'd commit or not. That's the only right thing to do other than to just dismiss it and keep the troll thoughts to oneself as there's no rational reason to project bs onto others to try and smear something or suck people in when there's little to nothing to love about it so far because it's a big unknown.

I'd like one, but I need to know price, performance, and game list before I'd commit or not. That's the only right thing to do other than to just dismiss it and keep the troll thoughts to oneself as there's no rational reason to project bs onto others to try and smear something or suck people in when there's little to nothing to love about it so far because it's a big unknown.

Agreed. I would like one as well, but I would like to know the price, performance, and final game list. It looks pretty neat to me, but I would like to know more first. Still, it looks to be an awesome product thus far.

My reaction is that people are being up turned nose a-holes about it on various sites making gross assumptions and projecting a mix of straight guesses and lies about what it does. If it's not that, it's whining about the housing like it was a personal insult on their mother. Either buy it or not, but don't be a douche or a suck up about it either when nearly no hard details are known other than the form factor and what can plug into the ports on it at this point.

It's called a "discussion forum" for a reason, boss. :roll: People aren't going to stop discussion just because it doesn't fit in with your world view.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 2

People are already fighting about this thing before it can even be pre-ordered. Like in the old days of video gaming, really. :(

I have one of those tiny arcade machines, but with an even smaller screen (2.5 instead of 3.5") and you can definitely play on that thing. Fixing a heavy weight to the bottom might be a good idea, though.

Who's "dropping insults" other than yourself (a**hole comment)?

Yes princess. Keep behaving that way and I'm good to keep poking sticks at it. I'm fed up with the immaturity of some people in the hobby and ragging on something as garbage while having none of the facts deserves to get kicked around a bit.

Yes princess. Keep behaving that way and I'm good to keep poking sticks at it. I'm fed up with the immaturity of some people in the hobby and ragging on something as garbage while having none of the facts deserves to get kicked around a bit.

The fact is it doesn't have a proper control panel with arcade quality hardware. Feel free to say otherwise.

I feel fine saying that because only an uptight purist would be a child about that at the price point this is likely going to be within, especially since they've created neo geo aes style controllers and the port for them who can't handle the layout on top of the HDMI output. The system has it covered. If you want it arcade style, get something barcade sized or larger.

"Uptight purist" uh, huh.. :lol: Feel free to point out where I said you would need original Neo Geo hardware and carts.

Do you want to actually play Neo Geo games, or do you want a glowing gashapon mini cab to stick on a shelf and stare at? It sounds more like you want the latter, how defensive you're getting over this thing. I actually like playing Neo Geo games, so that cash this trinket would cost would be better spent on a normal sized arcade stick with Sanwa gear.

What would be better from a gameplay perspective?

This mini cab combined with repro NGCD pads.

OR

They gave you a basic mini console (like the SNES classic) and a pair of arcade sticks like this fit with Sanwa gear?

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 2

Well duh, but so far it's not discussion it's just dropping insults like it's hot. I have no world view on this, just don't see rational reasoning to shit all over it like some little kindergartners whatever the motivation may be.

This thing has a 3,5 inch screen. The unit is minuscule. I definitely don't want to play any games on such a tiny toy-like unit. But obviously, anyone who buys this will have to pay for the controlls, built in screen ans speakers, and also live with the form factor, that could be cool for some, but also a total hassle for others.

Best case scenario, this is going to be a decent, yet expensive and clunky way to play some Neo Geo games. Worse case scenario this is going to be utter trash.

I'll be honest. I really just crapped on this with no explanation, because I thought it was obvious how stupid this is. But hey, I did say in my original post, some people like these cool looking collectible toys. This one is pretty good at that. I mean, the Japanese version is cool looking.Tthe western version fails at even that. How can one not be disappointed?

Now as far as controllers go, first, there was nothing announced in that sense, and second, it's going to look pretty stupid, having controller cords comming out of an arcade cabinet. But fit yourself. I guess anyone who disagrees with you is a stupid, childish asshole. That's a very mature way of seeing the world.