IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Wow, I haven't been following this project nearly close enough. Pacman AND pinball? I honestly was not familiar with Baby Pacman but now this one is going to definitely be on my homebrew want list. Congrats Bob, you have another winner on your hands. So glad you're still making fantastic homebrews :)

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, because the 7800 version seemed to be a bit too "clean" for me, I put the Baby Pac-Man table through the 64yourself online app, but the result looks rather chaotic and bad... you can hardly tell what's what, so now I'm appreciating the 7800 adaption much more than I did before. ;-) post-8393-0-01064900-1529433288.png

• Like 3

I'm not following your request... I would think to use the original artwork's colors if possible... Does that answer your question, or am I completely getting it wrong?

BTW, the artwork looks AWESOME.

Thank you

BTW, it there a way to lose the box and make the entire image the backdrop like the other labels / boxes? Like this:

c_PacManCollection_SP_front.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

I'm not following your request... I would think to use the original artwork's colors if possible... Does that answer your question, or am I completely getting it wrong?

BTW, the artwork looks AWESOME.

Thank you

BTW, it there a way to lose the box and make the entire image the backdrop like the other labels / boxes? Like this:

c_PacManCollection_SP_front.jpg

Yes I can make it more full size image Im using Clip Studio EX and do what ever:)

PMP, are you still looking for any kind of assistance with the pinball physics? I only have a little experience in assembly, but I've done a variety of collision physics systems for games in C++, so I can at least explain what you're shooting for in an algorithmic, potentially object oriented way. Please let me know if I can lend a hand in any way.

Edited by procyon
  • Like 1

PMP, are you still looking for any kind of assistance with the pinball physics? I only have a little experience in assembly, but I've done a variety of collision physics systems for games in C++, so I can at least explain what you're shooting for in an algorithmic, potentially object oriented way. Please let me know if I can lend a hand in any way.

Thank you - I may take you up on that offer... I've got a few examples from some people here to look over first...

Thanks again,

Bob

Okay I think Im done on it Ill just PM you when you wanted the fill size file when your ready. If there's anything need to be added or remove let me know.

First one is where they are all shaded the other just them in flat color

:-o

• Like 3

OK, here are some comments as for the ball physics... I just looked at a gameplay video of the original arcade game in order to better understand it.

Basically, the ball physics of the unobstructed rolling ball should work such that the ball follows a ballistic curve, that is, the vertical speed stays the same while the horizontal speed (measured in scanlines per second counted from the top) increases by a fixed amount at regular intervals (which means that if it's negative, the ball goes up, and that negative value slowly decreases).

This would be the movement of the unobstructed ball. If it hits something, it might bump off depending on the angle it hits the obstruction in. In this case, basically the movement gets divided in two components relative to the angle of the obstruction... one component that's parallel to the obstruction surface which is kept or slightly decreased, and another that's "normal" to the obstruction surface which basically gets negated (and possible decreased in intensity as well, or increased if it's a power bumper or such).

Quite ofteh at least in this game, however, the ball will be "guarded" by a path it is going through... either the curved ones at the top or a straight one where "Tunnel" or "Fruit" lights up. For the curved ones, it should be made sure that the ball is going smoothly through them and doesn't ever fall off or be brought off-track by something that seems like a "cliff" in the curve. To achieve this, while on screen the ramps are pixellated, for the sake of calculation, they should be in angles and also be treated as such. This probably requires a bit of complex mathematics unless the ball is unobstructed. I still think this is important to get right because the ball is in such "guide rails" quite often.

That being said, the way the 7800 version of the pinball playfield looks now I've got the feeling that some paths are not as smoothly curved as they should be... for instance, when the ball goes down through the "tunnel" section, the path changes into the angle at which the flippers are placed with only 2 or at most 3 intermediate steps, which if treated physically correct, might cause the ball to bump off one of the steps and get slightly off the guarded track, which is not what happens in the original version because that one is more "round".

• Like 1

I've now drawn up two example pictures... the first one shows what might happen to the ball coming down the "Tunnel" ramp if the rail after it isn't perfectly round... it bounces off at an angle and that angle increases until it hits the flipper, as shown by the red arrows. It should rather take the curve smoothly.

post-8393-0-81321200-1529760530.png

In the second picture I've drawn the approximate circles (in red) which the guard rails should adhere to if they are round. In some places what's actually shown deviates noticeably from the circular shape...

post-8393-0-17630500-1529760548.png

oh, and the flippers, as shown by the pink lines I drew, seem to stand out from the path the ball takes by one or two pixels, causing the ball to bounce off the upper part of the flippers if physically correct. The flippers thus should be lowered by that one or two pixels in order for the ball not to bounce off.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 3