IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Just played the latest version for about 20 minutes and then watched a video of a real Baby Pac Man machine and the work you've done is really amazing. It moves and plays very very close the the real machine. Thanks for all your work on this. Suck that NES!! :-D

• Like 5

This is probably the last binary I will post here before Bob takes over, unless you report some bugs that still should be fixed. Other than that, I'm now starting to clean up the code, removing routines that in the end weren't used and commented out, improving the names of some variables, adding a lot of comments to parts of the code that might be unclear so that Bob is better able to understand them etc. But this shouldn't result in a change to how the code works or to the resulting binary (well, maybe some code will be shifted around, but it still shouldn't change its functionality anymore).

attachicon.gifBabyPac.A78

How do I convert a .A78 file into a .BIN? I want to try this on my real 7800 via CuttleCart, if possible.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that works. Isn't there an extra header tacked onto the .A78 file? I don't know how to strip it off.

Yeah, the cart header would need to come off (I can't recall how many bytes it is), but any hex editor can do that. On Windows, the little bit of hex editing I do is with frhed: the Free Hex Editor.

• Like 1

There is not a lot of nudging on the real machine, some not not lots, but I figured Bob and or Kurt would just tune it correctly towards the end once the big task of the pinball part is mostly buttoned down.

Having said that there might be a use for it in a different easier mode perhaps? option modes are always appreciated.

I have nudging on my list of things to check out & compare to the real machine when the game gets closer to tuning.

All in all great effort but Bob and Kurt and others for caring so much, I really think this game is going to be quite special when they are done.

• Like 4

What do you mean by that? Does one nudge move the ball too much, or should that much nudging not be allowed?

I did not include a "Tilt" test since I don't think this belongs to the ball physics, or does it? I only included how the balls react to nudging... do you think that one's correct?

Guys, this is so incredible... :lust:

Just a note, the bumping 'up' of the table seems too generous :

attachicon.gifBaby Pac-Man _the bumping up of the table_.wmv

• Like 2

What do you mean by that? Does one nudge move the ball too much, or should that much nudging not be allowed?

I did not include a "Tilt" test since I don't think this belongs to the ball physics, or does it? I only included how the balls react to nudging... do you think that one's correct?

I think nudging up should only move a ball up if it is in contact with a semi-horizontal wall-type surface, although that is in the opposite direction as what was going on in the video (I believe he was moving the ball up during free-fall by nudging down). You can move the ball up if you hit the front of the table while it is in contact with a horizontal or semi-horizontal wall. In free-fall I think it can slightly change the angle/direction, but not invert it. I dont think nudging down can move the ball against gravity in free-fall, maybe just slow the descent slightly. However, some actual observation would be most useful.
  • Like 4

I think nudging up should only move a ball up if it is in contact with a semi-horizontal wall-type surface, although that is in the opposite direction as what was going on in the video (I believe he was moving the ball up during free-fall by nudging down). You can move the ball up if you hit the front of the table while it is in contact with a horizontal or semi-horizontal wall. In free-fall I think it can slightly change the angle/direction, but not invert it. I dont think nudging down can impve the ball against gravity in free-fall, maybe just slow the descent slightly. However, some actual observation would be most useful.

Thanks for reply, Swami. That's what I meant showing the video.

• Like 1

OK, I see... then I will have to rewrite the nudging part completely (also to the left and right). I've already something in mind that COULD work... let's see if it works the way I think it does. So if I get this right, in order for bumping to work, the ball has to be in the vincinity of some object it would collide with if it moved into the opposite direction of the nudge. Which is the same as if it would roll one or two pixels to the left / right / down at high speed and collide with the object.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 2

Probably little to nothing happens to the upper ball if just nudged while stationary. I can see it possibly/slightly bumping up for a second or two just to land back in its previous spot. To move it significantly from a stationary position would require either quite a number of substantial nudges or a great big one. In either case, it would very likely cause a 'Tilt' to occur.

The only time I can see a worthwhile nudge coming into play for the upper ball is if the other ball (in motion) had just hit it. Then, if the upper ball received enough of a hit to bring it near the apex of the curve, a slight nudge may sway it from one side to the other.

Best though to check with someone who has the actual machine.

• Like 3

This is in response to Trebors comment, I wanted to chime in with my machine.

The Flip Flop Lane (which give you pellets for lanes # 1 and # 4) ball at the very top of the play field does not really get effected by nudging. On the real machine whenever I hit the ball with the game ball, it it either just flips to the other side or just sits right back from where I shot it from. I honestly cannot think of a time when the ball ever got stuck on the arc or was hit in such a way that the ball "lingered" there for a nudge to help. The flip flop area in the machine is so high and towards the back of the machine that the flip flop does not really ever get effected by a nudge. If you were to slam the side of the machine hard enough, and I do mean slam, you can effect the game but you would so get a TILT way before anything would move.

In regards to nudging, this machine is heavy, and I do mean really heavy, you cannot really effect the ball too much on a nudge. If you nudge the machine on the right or left you can get the ball to slightly change trajectory a little bit but elaborate nudging as in other machines just does not exist on this machine. The machine is an arcade game on the bottom and like Nuclear Pacman said, is not on pinball legs so there is not wobble to really play with. The actual machine looks similar to a regular Pac Man cab with an extension jutting out in the middle for flippers and a joystick.

I have saved the ball from guttering out by nudging but that is about all I ever really influenced it but that is about the level of nudging I can perform 99% of the time, which by the way is the really the best place to have it.

• Like 4