IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I sent two items from TX to WI -- a first class letter and a priority mail small package - on the same day two weeks ago.  The letter arrived a week before the package.  COVID delays, according to USPS website.  The person at the counter made no mention of delays when she told me the package would arrive in 2-3 days. 

15 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

I have been told that there is almost a month delay in Chicago for packages passing through Customs.

Longer than that for many packages in my experience.  International packages are taking months to be delivered in many cases.  I'm also waiting on incoming packages to the US and some of those have been well over a month now.

..Al

Staples sent me a questionnaire regarding my chair purchase, so I gave them a big fat 0 out of 10 for not shipping it days after it was supposed to have arrived.  It seems someone actually reads those things, because a couple of days later I received a email with a "Staples Courtesy Coupon" for $25.00.  I've spent literally thousands there in the past few years and told them I'm considering taking all future business to Office Max/Office Depot... maybe that had something to do with it?  Anyway, they asked, so I did my best imitation of a squeaky wheel and got some grease. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Staples sent me a questionnaire regarding my chair purchase, so I gave them a big fat 0 out of 10 for not shipping it days after it was supposed to have arrived.  It seems someone actually reads those things, because a couple of days later I received a email with a "Staples Courtesy Coupon" for $25.00.  I've spent literally thousands there in the past few years and told them I'm considering taking all future business to Office Max/Office Depot... maybe that had something to do with it?  Anyway, they asked, so I did my best imitation of a squeaky wheel and got some grease. ?

What of the chair, though?

36 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Without actually knowing what you look like... somehow I still think, that chair... "is you".

I see this ending in, one of two ways ...you're either returning the chair, or putting similar emblems on it!:cool:

Well, we'll see what happens over time.  I did buy the three year warranty this time around, so if anything happens, the Ω model will be revisited. 

46 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Without actually knowing what you look like... somehow I still think, that chair... "is you".

He looks a bit like Zaphod Beeblebrox, especially around the shoulder area.  Which makes me wonder how he can use a chair with only one head rest. :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

I sent a package from the US to Sweden recently and it has been marked "Passed through Chicago International Distribution Center" since May 31st.

I have one from Japan that was accepted in Tokyo on 28 March. A few days later, they suspended all mail delivery to the US, and my package sat there until 24 May. It arrived in ISC Chicago on 26 May and hasn't moved since. . .and when I opened a case on it, the Post Office closed it without even trying to resolve the issue. My local postmaster told me Chicago has delays of a month or more for inbound mail right now, and outbound is just as bad or worse.

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

He looks a bit like Zaphod Beeblebrox, especially around the shoulder area.  Which makes me wonder how he can use a chair with only one head rest. :D

That's a movie I can die better without seeing again... although I seem to remember a new take on an old theme, which I somehow found bemusing... it involved something similar to standing on a rake and the handle hitting you in the face.:roll:

This was better...

ST1.thumb.JPG.2ee5f3f779973b3365dbddf32ef1592d.JPG  

ST2.thumb.JPG.6ec6c5a3d0f877129f774b068a0dc802.JPG

Win98

:)

2 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

That's a movie I can die better without seeing again... although I seem to remember a new take on an old theme, which I somehow found bemusing... it involved something similar to standing on a rake and the handle hitting you in the face.:roll:

hehehe I enjoyed it... not terrible, but not terrific at the same time.

• Thanks 1

If you want to read a good hard science based (for the time) fiction story, it's hard to beat Tau Zero by Poul Anderson.  This book has been reprinted so many times it's mind blowing.  However the oscillating theory universe is no longer universally accepted by everyone, 

10 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

If you want to read a good hard science based (for the time) fiction story, it's hard to beat Tau Zero by Poul Anderson.  This book has been reprinted so many times it's mind blowing.  However the oscillating theory universe is no longer universally accepted by everyone, 

I will have to check that out.  I have heard it spoken of before.  I have leaned heavily toward the holographic theory since I read the book in high school.

On 6/14/2020 at 8:47 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I was replacing the battery in a MiniMemory cartridge tonight and experienced something I had never before.  I clipped the leads from the original battery leaving just short pieces of lead on the board.  As I was flowing the old solder with new and preparing to knock or pull the remaining lead out, the damn thing exploded.  This sent solder flying, I still have not found the left-over lead, there is a skid mark on my soldering mat, but no damage to the circuit board.  The lead hole was completely voided of solder which, while a bit of a plus, I have found little tiny bits of everywhere across my desk, on the face of my soldering station, and on my shirt.  I am very happy that nothing went into my eyes.

First time for everything.

Hehe... I once had a coin cell on my desk - discharged of course - that ended up mixed with a pile of spare change.

While I didn't see the pop happen, I came in one morning to find the coins scattered, and bits of metal across my desk. It took me a while to piece together what happened. :)

Take care, even those little cell batteries can actually blow up!

15 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

This was better...

Oi, I bought Starship Titanic on name when it came out and I just couldn't do it. :)

Wasn't hugely fond of the movie either, but there's always the first 5 books. ;)

• Like 1

Anyone considering getting an RPi 4?  If so, check out this awesome case!

It's a clean and stylish case.

2051271319_CASE1.thumb.jpg.7498db5b94e1b5b1f1d9b39098f9269f.jpg

The door covering the marked GPIO pins is magnetic so it stay ins place when needed.

202643825_CASE2.thumb.jpg.68f53d385d834f5ff310a7c88aa4fc9d.jpg

All the connections are on the back of the unit... which makes for more aesthetic looking installs.

1480451732_CASE3.thumb.jpg.e8e488e2b8da2df12e0efa061d030ff8.jpg

The included adapter is what makes it all possible.

1800535041_ADAPTER1.thumb.jpg.3505139b5e1549d720a7150e00c436e5.jpg

It has both passive and active cooling, the temperature adjust are done in software.  

1956150419_CASE4.thumb.jpg.04b2f68051258678326133265e0be5b6.jpg

It also has cooling posts for BOTH the CPU and RAM chips.

There is one reported drawback to the safe power switch... power does not come on automatically after a power outage, you'll have to physically press the button manually.  But the LED power light is on the front where it belongs.

RUNNING.thumb.jpg.6a726c790dead56e84560b467f726df9.jpg

The least expensive place I found online to purchase one is:  << HERE >>

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tursi said:

Oi, I bought Starship Titanic on name when it came out and I just couldn't do it. :)

Wasn't hugely fond of the movie either, but there's always the first 5 books. ;)

This game was re-gifted to me by an artist friend of mine, whom at the time worked for a graphics/lithography place ...somehow involved with it! I don't think he actually worked on this though. I know he did Tattoos that were used in movies.

Well, to be fair... There were some issues with the game's execution. The Music wouldn't play right unless the specifically supplied version of Direct X was installed(didn't always install right). I had issues with the 3D STAR FIELD as well. I seem to recall a logic issue with "the creator and item" getting lost in the giant Succubus room(something about, saves).

Mom went in big for this game, found the Art Deco, to her liking. She kept at it, slowly solving the majority of the puzzles, and together we finally made it through, though all the continuity was lost by the time I got the star field to work!(think years):D

As I recall, this game had to be reinstalled to correct the issues, Windows98 too!

P.S. I take it the books are good! Too bad I'm only reading technical literature, in this lifetime.:roll:

:)