IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

truth.PNG.b18875ac61a4f8cb91afb060248e3b4a.PNG

This ain't wrong.  A couple of days ago a customer was having a problem with her Windows 10 after an update and she says, "I hope this isn't because of a virus."  I responded, "No, just Windows 10 pretended to be one."

• Haha 2

When I had a INTEL Apple Tower I could run OS X, Linux and Windows any version each on own hard drives.

Worked great as I had 2 Laptop sized drives in each 3.5 Drive bay for 5 drives in total. in 3 slots for drives.

PC only has no advantages to it at all for multiple OS, hell a PC barely works well with Windows let alone multiple OS!

At some levels, prices between PC & Mac's are getting closer, and admittedly Mac's tend to be more idiot proof than PC's.  However in the PC world you have way more choices when it comes to software and computer configurations.  Now while I'm not a true PC gamer, from what I've heard Mac's cannot even compete when it comes to high-end gaming.  Apples (pardon the pun) and Oranges, Ford or Chrysler.  For most things, they'll both get you across the finish line, who cares if one is 1/2 a second faster in this or that or the other.

When a correction is issued, it isn't usually this meta:

Physics' fine structure constant, alpha, is measured to new accuracy:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/physicists-measure-the-magic-fine-structure-constant-20201202/

Correction: December 4, 2020

The original version of this article incorrectly reported the newly measured value of alpha as 1/137.03599920611; the correct number is 1/137.035999206, with an uncertainty of 0.000000011. In an article about the “nailing down” of the constant’s value, we regret the error.

137.03599920611 printed
137.035999206   new actual
   .000000011   new uncertainty
i.e. 137.035999206 +/-  .000000011

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2020 at 4:47 PM, Omega-TI said:

At some levels, prices between PC & Mac's are getting closer, and admittedly Mac's tend to be more idiot proof than PC's.  However in the PC world you have way more choices when it comes to software and computer configurations.  Now while I'm not a true PC gamer, from what I've heard Mac's cannot even compete when it comes to high-end gaming.  Apples (pardon the pun) and Oranges, Ford or Chrysler.  For most things, they'll both get you across the finish line, who cares if one is 1/2 a second faster in this or that or the other.

Really my INTEL Mac Pro was not any different then a high end PC.

It was little different as the hardware was almost exactly the same as a high end Dell.

But now that Apple is going full on ARM chips I have no idea if in future you could even run Windows anymore at all on Mac.

30 minutes ago, RXB said:

But now that Apple is going full on ARM chips I have no idea if in future you could even run Windows anymore at all on Mac.

Yes, you can.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/20/windows-can-run-natively-m1-macs-apple-silicon/

The Apple Silicon M1 makes the MacBook essentially the ARM architecture which the Microsoft Surface Pro has.

As such, it can run the developer version of Windows for ARM just fine. And that includes x86 emulation. From

the reviews so far, performance is quite good. But highest performance is seen from Windows apps that have

been re-released in builds for Surface Pro.  This still depends on Microsoft allowing consumers to install

Windows for ARM.

Two other solutions will be CrossOver and Parallels. Both are x86 emulation on ARM and will run Win32 apps if not

the whole Windows OS. Parallels solved this problem during the PowerPC era of Macs. It's going to do it again on Apple M1.

I have two identical MacBook Pros, which run Windows 10 (Boot Camp) and Mac OS X. Different uses. There is a lot of open source

software that runs perfectly on Linux and Mac OS X, but badly or not at all on Windows.  Even under an environment like Cygwin, which makes

Windows more Unix-like. 

Several other free packages, which for me includes Kicad, OpenSCAD and FreeCAD, are cross-platform. Those run on Mac OS X

Windows 7 and Windows 10 natively. They should appear native on ARM quickly (anybody can recompile them).

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

Yes, you can.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/20/windows-can-run-natively-m1-macs-apple-silicon/

The Apple Silicon M1 makes the MacBook essentially the ARM architecture which the Microsoft Surface Pro has.

As such, it can run the developer version of Windows for ARM just fine. And that includes x86 emulation. From

the reviews so far, performance is quite good. But highest performance is seen from Windows apps that have

been re-released in builds for Surface Pro.  This still depends on Microsoft allowing consumers to install

Windows for ARM.

Two other solutions will be CrossOver and Parallels. Both are x86 emulation on ARM and will run Win32 apps if not

the whole Windows OS. Parallels solved this problem during the PowerPC era of Macs. It's going to do it again on Apple M1.

I have two identical MacBook Pros, which run Windows 10 (Boot Camp) and Mac OS X. Different uses. There is a lot of open source

software that runs perfectly on Linux and Mac OS X, but badly or not at all on Windows.  Even under an environment like Cygwin, which makes

Windows more Unix-like. 

Several other free packages, which for me includes Kicad, OpenSCAD and FreeCAD, are cross-platform. Those run on Mac OS X

Windows 7 and Windows 10 natively. They should appear native on ARM quickly (anybody can recompile them).

Honestly I have ran Mac's for many years and had the G3 Power Mac, IBM PowerPC Mac and Intel Mac towers.

The only one worth a crap on Windows was the Intel Mac, all the others were crap and would not run Windows games or apps.

This is not a advanced idea unless they can get performance up to snuff.

This is clearly a step backwards for most users and they are going to lose a ton bussiness.

I rarely (never?) plug my Teespring store, mostly because the stuff I have up is pretty lazy, and as I complained before I have had difficulty making the products I want.  BUT, when they get stuff right they get stuff right.  I put together a couple more Master Title Screen products: a couch pillow and a banner.  The banner is 100% polyester and in the right size it seems like it could actually be used as a sheet (the sample I ordered is too big to show off.)  The banner has no print on the back, but the pillow has the TI BASIC READY prompt with the cursor.

IMG_3838_crop.thumb.JPG.3f503449bfdf8e90d295499c06e8ec8b.JPGIMG_3840_crop.thumb.JPG.eaa19979826ab540fba5fdcc910f13d6.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Oh dear, what was seen cannot be unseen... I know someone who makes these cookies every year, though I cannot bear the thought of sharing that picture with her.  :-o

Well, here. Some hot cocoa and marshmallows should help ease the shock.

1984965055_christmasmini-mallows.thumb.jpeg.412f32ca647d5ebab58d5193f3c1cea3.jpeg

• Haha 4