IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

On 6/21/2022 at 11:55 AM, Larry said:

Thanks.  You made an Atarimax cartridge image from the .XEX?  Was it a regular .XEX image of TBXL 1.5 or modified?  I was successful with 1.4, but not with 1.5. Is the TBXL embedded (appended) to Dos? 

I used an .xex that someone made for the SIC! cartridge, I share with you the one I used. ?

Turbo Basic XL 1.5.xex

• Thanks 1

Thanks!  I put it on my Avgcart this morning, and it works fine.  It loads from the cartridge lightning fast!  It requires Atari Dos 2.5 as D1: if you want to go back to the Dup menu. It also allows re-entering the program via run address $2080, if you have MEM.SAV on your Dos disk.  Whoever did this for the SIC cartridge did a nice job!

• Like 1

I'm exploring the cartridge features, and I need a "cheat sheet" of the keystrokes for the cart.  Has anyone already made one?  DeRe is great, but a text listing that I could put on a 4 X 6" card would be really useful.

Also, here is a version of Dos 2.5 modified by RJ Espino for Turbo Basic XL.  The normal "B" cartridge selection has been reworked by the author to use MEM.SAV to reload TBXL.  Just set this ATR as D1: (with the TAB key), the select the SIC version of TBXL XEX from your AVGCART menu.  Very Nice!

DOS25 TB.ATR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Larry said:

Also, here is a version of Dos 2.5 modified by RJ Espino for Turbo Basic XL.  The normal "B" cartridge selection has been reworked by the author to use MEM.SAV to reload TBXL.  Just set this ATR as D1: (with the TAB key)

try this DOS 2.5 version for SIC! it was shared with TBXL. ?

Dos 2.5.xex

but don't tell anyone !!!!! ???

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ascrnet said:

try this DOS 2.5 version for SIC! it was shared with TBXL. ?

Dos 2.5.xex 13.07 kB · 5 downloads

but don't tell anyone !!!!! ???

Very nice!  It certainly loads fast, and once loaded, it does work fine with regular or emulated SIO drives.  I was not able to get it working with the TBXL SIC image .XEX, though. 

Can you explain how this conversion is done so that it could be applied to other Dos versions?  A "tool" to do it would be great, if that is possible.  I'd be interested in a MyDos 4.55 (beta 4) version.  Is it possible to configure a ramdisk when loading a Dos (2.5 or other)?

13 hours ago, Larry said:

Very nice!  It certainly loads fast, and once loaded, it does work fine with regular or emulated SIO drives.  I was not able to get it working with the TBXL SIC image .XEX, though. 

Can you explain how this conversion is done so that it could be applied to other Dos versions?  A "tool" to do it would be great, if that is possible.  I'd be interested in a MyDos 4.55 (beta 4) version.  Is it possible to configure a ramdisk when loading a Dos (2.5 or other)?

I remind you that these versions are modified to work directly when starting a cartridge. ?

Here you will find the sources of how it was done and who published it "it cost me a little to find where I had read it"? in summary is to dump the memory and place it where it should go, of course this requires some knowledge of .XEX segments and a little bit of assembler. ?

• Like 1

Is it possible to Write Protect/Lock an ATR using the cartridge + SIO cable?  Currently, the cart doesn't appear to recognize a Read Only image status.

Is it possible to non-destructively re-enter the cart menu then go back to memory?

I looked in DeRe but didn't find anything about these functions.  Love this cart! 

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Is it possible to Write Protect/Lock an ATR using the cartridge + SIO cable?  Currently, the cart doesn't appear to recognize a Read Only image status.

Is it possible to non-destructively re-enter the cart menu then go back to memory?

I looked in DeRe but didn't find anything about these functions.  Love this cart! 

De Re mentions ATR Protection status... 

963376984_ScreenShot2022-07-04at17_34_01.thumb.png.bdb704e145880c3409399e94cbe5c677.png

I don't think there's any way to get back to the cart menu once you hit ESC/Del (which as Paul says, disables the cart and exits) 

What I'm thinking about is if you were working in a program, then wanted to go back to the cart menu to reassign a drive, then re-enter your program (and have it still there as if you hadn't left).  May not be possible -- just asking.

@tmp: Not sure if you have seen my pm via AA... anyways, I have tested the "Rewind" demo with PAL Atari 800XL, the AVG-cart (with SIO-cable) and your PBI enhancement (set to 1024k port B RAM).  Result: The demo does not work! Whereas with Atari 800 Win and an old version of Altirra it works fine.

1) If loaded from an ATR image, it always stops loading before reaching the end (tried it with a 720k image and Picoboot, uDOS and MyDOS), maybe a certain loader is required ?!? All these images loaded (very slowly) and worked fine under emulation however...

2) if loaded as direct XEX load, loading is done within 1 second, great! Alas, the XEX shows bugs at the beginning of the demo (the brown cube appears fuzzy / flickery like a ghost) and when the DOOM-like part begins, the demo completely crashes.

I did send you an ATR and XEX version of the original/unpacked demo, so hopefully you can take a look, if the demo has a heavy bug or if I did something wrong in the config of your PBI enhancement (only 1024k XRAM = on, everything else = off) or maybe the PBI or AVG requires a firmware update ?!?

6 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

@tmp: Not sure if you have seen my pm via AA... anyways, I have tested the "Rewind" demo with PAL Atari 800XL, the AVG-cart (with SIO-cable) and your PBI enhancement (set to 1024k port B RAM).  Result: The demo does not work! Whereas with Atari 800 Win and an old version of Altirra it works fine.

1) If loaded from an ATR image, it always stops loading before reaching the end (tried it with a 720k image and Picoboot, uDOS and MyDOS), maybe a certain loader is required ?!? All these images loaded (very slowly) and worked fine under emulation however...

2) if loaded as direct XEX load, loading is done within 1 second, great! Alas, the XEX shows bugs at the beginning of the demo (the brown cube appears fuzzy / flickery like a ghost) and when the DOOM-like part begins, the demo completely crashes.

I did send you an ATR and XEX version of the original/unpacked demo, so hopefully you can take a look, if the demo has a heavy bug or if I did something wrong in the config of your PBI enhancement (only 1024k XRAM = on, everything else = off) or maybe the PBI or AVG requires a firmware update ?!?

i don't see any recent PM from you, i've tried xex downloaded from demozoo on 800xl with avgpbi and avgcart, i got through the doom part without crash (and didn't notice any obvious corruption although i didn't look closely all the time since it's kinda long)

maybe someone else with avgcart and 1MB atari can test too

Hi ALL!!!

Well here is a question for all the AVGCART people and the FUJINET ,IDE 2 plus etc...

I ask this in the AVG thread because it is the one I am using...

OK the problem.. I have, lets say, a MyDOS, took kit and a vtoc tool all in a directory on the VAG.

Now I can load the MyDOS, but I need the tool kit to work on a new ssd. So I want to move the dos and the files to a floppy disk to use when I add a new Cl card to the IDE 2+. I hope I am asking this correctly .. I want to copy /mount the dos on the disk and add the tools and other files that are on the AVG.

Does any one know the step by step way to do this. I can of course get the dos to the disk but how do I get the files to the disk???

I think a question like this ask been ask before but I have not seen a answer...

Peter

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

OK the problem.. I have, lets say, a MyDOS, took kit and a vtoc tool all in a directory on the VAG.

Using the wrong 'slot' :)

Answer to your question in post above, just mount a disk to whatever disk number you want and use the Ctrl C to copy files...

15 hours ago, tmp said:

i don't see any recent PM from you, i've tried xex downloaded from demozoo on 800xl with avgpbi and avgcart, i got through the doom part without crash (and didn't notice any obvious corruption although i didn't look closely all the time since it's kinda long)

maybe someone else with avgcart and 1MB atari can test too

Okay, after several friends reported to me that the Rewind demo works fine from AVG or other media and even my packed version works from real floppy drive, it looks like either my 64k Atari 800XL or your PBI enhancement has some kind of defect. Of course I hope that it is the computer and off to Juergen (tf_hh) it goes. If there is a defect in the 800XL he will find it for sure.

• Like 1

AVGPBI in its current incarnation is dead since the fpga was technically eol'd, good thing is that i haven't sold any so i don't need to support it ;-)

(i recently discovered an issue with one stock 600XL where AVGPBI with latest fw was acting up in certain situations but another with some ancient fw was ok)