IGNORED

Turmoil

BuckoBrand

^^nice idea, OLD CS1^^

Heres a video of the game by my favorite game reviewer.

I always think of Turmoil as basically a *Vertical Tempest* port. It has the same feel as my second favorite vector arcade game of all time, and executes extremely well. If you havent played it, youre missing out.

Oh, and I didnt tell my son I couldnt make it... he asked me if I could re-make it for the TI, and I said it might be tough, and there were other more capable programmers out there who might be better suited to do a re-make.

Get an Atari emulator and a set of sticks and give it a go. Youll like it. :)

• Like 4

^^nice idea, OLD CS1^^

Heres a video of the game by my favorite game reviewer.

I always think of Turmoil as basically a *Vertical Tempest* port. It has the same feel as my second favorite vector arcade game of all time, and executes extremely well. If you havent played it, youre missing out.

Tempest, I have serious doubts that game will ever be ported to the TI, even an F18A equipped one, or even if a Final FinalGROM is added to the mix. Anyone who could pull off a full working port of that game would instantly rise to the status of TI-Godhood.

I've never played XB-Meltdown, I'll give it a shot later today (day off). :-D

I started writing Turmoil (in C) for ColecoVision. I have a playable game... No sounds. Been a few years...

It just wasn't fun like that Atari version, so I stopped. I can hunt down my source... Maybe I still have it....

It was called Spaz Attack or Spaz Attak - I can't even find my posts in the CV chat here about it...

Edit: Don't think so. I think it was lost when my Mac Bootcamp partition got killed by an upgrade of OSX and/or Parallels.

Lost a bunch of stuff.. I'll look at my archives, too, but my hopes are low.

Edited by unhuman
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thats what is great about Turmoil. The 2600 could not support Tempest, so Turmoil was made. It has a very similar feel and executes extremely well with the limitations of the platform.

2600 Tempest :) It's not pretty, but it exists...

There's nothing really CPU pushy about Tempest - lots of lookup tables will save the day. ;)

Turmoil and Fast Eddie - two great 2600 games written by legendary (in my view, anyway) programmer Mark Turmell. He was behind many of my favorite games of the 80s and 90s - from Beer Run and Sneakers on the Apple ][, to NBA Jam, Smash TV, and Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game in the arcade. He was a dude after my own heart, throwing in a pretty good sense of humor in most of the projects he worked on.

https://www.giantbomb.com/mark-turmell/3040-16331/credits/

• Like 2