IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

On 12/27/2019 at 8:21 AM, TACODON said:

No doubt it is a dumpster fire but I feel once they release something it will truly ignite into a bigger fire. 

Atari has done a decent enough job of muddying the water about what the system is, what it can do, and what will be available.   Once it's released, the veil is lifted, and you're correct, that's when the real crap storm begins.   There's an expectation the Atari VCS will have exclusive games.   From a financial standpoint, that doesn't even make sense. 

• Like 2

Choice supportive bias

Choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected and/or to demote the forgone options.[1] It is part of cognitive science, and is a distinct cognitive bias that occurs once a decision is made. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying or subscribing new negative faults to option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.gamesradar.com/antstream-arcade-review/  an interesting review of the not so exclusive Antstream.  They say it is not much cop.  This was Atari/Inforgrames big announcement.  If you go to Antstreams website you will find that any one who has a pc can play antstream. 

Also if you want .. you can play the games for 7 days for FREE something Nu VCS users are not going to be doing any time soon.

More here.. https://www.antstream.com/

Edited by bloodreptile
To add the Walmart Link.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bloodreptile said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/antstream-arcade-review/  an interesting review of the not so exclusive Antstream.  They say it is not much cop.  This was Atari/Inforgrames big announcement.  If you go to Antstreams website you will find that any one who has a pc can play antstream. 

Also if you want .. you can play the games for 7 days for FREE something Nu VCS users are not going to be doing any time soon.

More here.. https://www.antstream.com/

Walmart Exclusive. Yep they are still showing the date as the 31st of March. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, almightytodd said:

A new console with the Atari brand name that somehow recaptured the magic of the original VCS would be a welcome new option for retro-fans and modern casual gamers alike. 

That's a tall order considering how the VCS was a new form of art in the 1970's. Today it can be nothing but regurgitation.

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

I was nonplussed by that. Not interested in cryptocurrencies and online gambling. Should I be impressed that they partnered with the estate of a dead artist? Like booooorrrrinnngg.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

those 500 consoles? not going to backers- going to devs.  absolutely no timeline whatsoever on *when* backers will see them.

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/atari-vcs-managing-the-unexpected-d87ac17b99df

"As the Atari Group recently announced, we have confirmed delivery of enough parts by the end of March to build our first 500 Atari VCS production units. A good portion of these first Atari VCS units are earmarked as dev kits for developers. We believe it would be unfair to use the balance to fulfill only a small number of Indiegogo orders, so Atari’s plan is to ship to all backers at the same time when enough VCS units and peripherals are available."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

I'm very curious about the new atari vcs. I can't wait to see a teardown and review of it. It will be like watching redlettermedia/Mr. Pinkett review the star wars prequels

I won't buy one until they are discounted by about 95% of MSRP which I'm guessing will be about a month after its official release, if I'm being generous. 

I love Atari and hate seeing its once great name treated with the disdain that Fred and company are subjecting it to.

I'm eagerly awaiting this trainwreck to finally end, like watching the Silver Streak finally stop its wake of destruction that seemed to go on forever.

In short I'm very interested in the new Atacobox- to die a merciful death

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

After playing through "There Is No Game", by the French developers Draw Me a Pixel, and seeing the trailer for the graphic adventure "There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension" that they just released...

...I think, at this point, Atari would be more successful taking that path and renaming the system There Is No Console: a device where you can discover secret minigames by interacting with glitches while Atari CEO's voice yells at you "what are you doing, Atari fan? Don't touch that! This is not a console!".

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

I'm eagerly awaiting this trainwreck to finally end, like watching the Silver Streak finally stop its wake of destruction that seemed to go on forever.

Maybe it's like that Snowpiercer train, needs a permanent derailing. All that dystopian suffering and violence and stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

I think the joystick is a cool idea. I'm sure if it isn't a lemon. Those will sell well.

The saving grace is that even though the 'modern controller' looks like an XBox one, Power A makes reasonably decent controllers.  My personal experience is that your mileage will vary based on the controller, but they're not known for making junky ones.

Still think the sticks will snap off the classic one when it's used too hard.

• Like 1

It's clear that should it prove to function in a way that's similar to what has been promised, the lasting legacy of the VCS is going to be the classic joystick. That's again if it delivers how hoped. That is literally the only part of the system I've seen genuine, non-delusional interest in.

You just have to wonder that if/when the system fizzles if/when it launches, if it won't take the accessories with it. The modern controller is inarguably unnecessary in a world pretty much standardized on Xbox One and PS4 controllers as the universal controllers (and no doubt their successors), but there certainly could also be a small market for that as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's clear that should it prove to function in a way that's similar to what has been promised, the lasting legacy of the VCS is going to be the classic joystick. That's again if it delivers how hoped. That is literally the only part of the system I've seen genuine, non-delusional interest in.

You just have to wonder that if/when the system fizzles if/when it launches, if it won't take the accessories with it. The modern controller is inarguably unnecessary in a world pretty much standardized on Xbox One and PS4 controllers as the universal controllers (and no doubt their successors), but there certainly could also be a small market for that as well.

The thing is, I've really seen no compelling evidence that l'Atari made adding the paddle feature a priority.  Has anyone actually held one?  Used one?  Has PowerA commented on the R&D involved.  AFAIK, the paddle feature was a wish that turned into a rumor that no one wants to let die just yet.

• Like 2